Demiromantic?

LizbethHope

LizbethHope

I’ve been looking at aromantic resources and I feel like I may be Demi but I’m not sure? I’ve had a proper crush on one guy which was a squish until he asked me out and I became romantically attracted to him. I’m 17 and I’ve never had a crush before then. What I’ve called crushes, like I’ve had on celebrity’s have mostly been a mixture of platonic and sometimes aesthetic attraction. Like they are cute and I really want to be their friend. Looking up things about QPPs I realised how apathetic I am towards a romantic relationship, like it’d be cool to have one if just to have a partner but I’m not overly fussed about the romantic side and I’d be just a happy with a QPP. Until now I’ve always labelled myself biromantic asexual but right now I’m not sure.

@LizbethHope I'm a demiromantic ace.  I didn't realize what having a crush was until about 21, when a friend starting behaving flirtatious/sensual towards me.  I had to ask myself a question to figure out what I was feeling.  "Would you be in a romantic relationship with this person?"  I said yes.  I said yes twice because I've only had a crush twice in the entire 34 years I've been alive.  Hope this explanation helps a little.

goddamn-emokid

I’ve just recently started identifying as demiromantic, and my experiences are somewhat similar. I’m 21 and my most recent crush was/is on one of my best friends. I always knew he was kind of my “type” but it was only when we became really good friends that I started to realize I liked him as more than just a friend. I had one other crush before and it was similar circumstances. It can be difficult to figure out, especially if you’re a bit indifferent about romantic relationships. I want a romantic relationship so I think it was easier for me to spot? It’s okay to not completely understand everything right now, and for ages I just didn’t put a specific label on myself until I got things figured out a little more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a demiromantic ace, I am 23 now and only had one crush for my entire life. He was my best friend in high school and it took me more than a year to find out that I have somewhat different feeling towards him. It was the combination of romantic and aesthetic attraction. I felt hurt when I found out that he likes someone else. Other than that, I am really apathetic about romance in general, do not view it as any necessity and have trouble understanding why some people cannot live without it.

Lady.Saturnina.94

I am also demiromantic. I don't experience romantic attraction towards anyone unless I have known them for a while. I am 25, I have been in one relationship in my life, and it was with a friend I met when I was 16. By the time we started dating, we had known each other for a little over four and a half years, and we knew each very well at that point (we are aren't together now, but we're still friends). Most of the time, I am indifferent when it comes to romance; I think of it as something that is nice to have, but not something I need in my life.

I will admit that I experienced some confusion about my romantic orientation before realizing I was demiromantic. Before I realized I was ace, I thought I was bisexual, and after that I thought that I was a biromantic ace. Aromantic kind of applied to me, but not completely. Then I read an article that explains signs of being demiromantic, and thought "This makes perfect sense!" Here's a link to that article: https://www.lovepanky.com/love-couch/better-love/demiromantic-traits

I hope this helps.

Archived