Religion Doesn't Belong In Schooool

My Name is Tobias

8 minutes ago, My Name is Tobias said:

Oh my gosh XD I meant Thomas Jefferson, but honestly, I'm sure you're a close second

;):P

6 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Ninja TJ! This requires a Marvel film!

😂

Religion should only be taught in publicly funded schools if it’s part of a history/social science class or if it’s an elective class. I learned about different religions in school and took a class on Buddhism in college, but that was purely for education purposes, the religions were never touted as things people have to believe.

If religious parents want schools to evangelize their children then they can pay thousands of dollars per year to send their kid to a private school. Can’t afford it? Oh well. I hear going to church every Sunday is free.

Should this even have to do with schools? Why not no religions in private or homeschool?

Anthracite_Impreza
39 minutes ago, R_1 said:

Should this even have to do with schools? Why not no religions in private or homeschool?

Cos if it's only taught at home you're gonna get some very one-sided, close-minded kids. At least if kids are taught a variety of belief systems exist, and their general beliefs, they can familiarise with them, thus hopefully making them more accepting.

There's no way to teach "about" religion without actually teaching religion -- because teachers are human, and have viewpoints, and those viewpoints will make themselves known even if the teacher doesn't intend it.   An 8-year-old doesn't need a class on world religions; they can inquire for  themselves later in high school or college (or never).  

14 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Cos if it's only taught at home you're gonna get some very one-sided, close-minded kids. At least if kids are taught a variety of belief systems exist, and their general beliefs, they can familiarise with them, thus hopefully making them more accepting.

My point is that people shouldn't be taught religions as the way of truth under any circumstances regardless of educational approach. Homeschoolers can get to understand a variety of beliefs. Recreational settings are a thing.

I think there's a difference between preaching religion and teaching religion. I've taken a World Religion class and it's fascinating to see not just how the people around you practice religion, but people around the world. Focus on specific religions (such as Christianity) happen as a result but the teacher is able to separate themselves from the topic, so that they are merely teaching about the religion and not trying to convince you that it's true. I do have an issue with school that force the students into prayer or services because the goal of schools should be learning, but being given enough information to come to your own conclusions as many English and History classes do. In my experience, at least, Humanities give you the materials to figure things out on your own while religious services in schools tell you what to think.

That being said, I have nothing against churches or people of faith. You do you. I just don't think that religion should be a forced part of school.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, Skycaptain said:

More than one religion has "fundamentalists" adhering to it as an excuse to harass and attack minorities 

Is there one that hasn't?

9 hours ago, Homer said:

Seeing as it's a recognised on the UK census I'd say Jedi:P

10 hours ago, Homer said:

I think that followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster don't proselytize.  They just quietly worship their spaghetti.  

On 4/5/2019 at 1:13 AM, Sally said:

There's no way to teach "about" religion without actually teaching religion -- because teachers are human, and have viewpoints, and those viewpoints will make themselves known even if the teacher doesn't intend it.   An 8-year-old doesn't need a class on world religions; they can inquire for  themselves later in high school or college (or never).  

That's a bizarre and nonsensical point of view. Of course you can teach about religion without teaching religion. I went to a Catholic school; we learned about Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and atheism during R.E., from Christian teachers.

I wish there had been a lot more of that, instead of 95% Christianity.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:13 AM, Sally said:

An 8-year-old doesn't need a class on world religions; they can inquire for  themselves later in high school or college (or never).  

That's far too late, and far to opt-outable. An eight year old absolutely does need that class, to counteract indoctrinatory influence from the parents. Education about the variety of religions needs to be a mandatory class, the topic is no less important than science or history, and in some ways more important, if anything. And the earlier it starts, the better.

Why do you think "they can inquire about it themselves later" regarding religion, but don't take the same stance about algebra, physics, chemistry, history etc.? With a stance like this, teaching kids basic math and literacy is all they need. So why does school take longer than three or four years, tops?

SorryNotSorry

I think a big part of the problem with religion creeping ANYWHERE into secular institutions is the intolerance taught by said religions—hate so-and-so because God doesn't like people with this or that genetic trait, hate that ethnicity because some of their distant ancestors made a real dick move, blah blah blah. You can open any Bible or Quran and find numerous examples of this. It's hate of course, but it's holy hate!

On 4/4/2019 at 6:59 AM, My Name is Tobias said:

It seems as if every human being in the American south has forgotten that:

1) Church and State are S E P A R A T E 

2) You are not supposed to proselytize in school

AND

3) Our government was literally founded on secularism and if TJ were here now he would be disgusted at how much the church had to do with the government.

Anyway, I say all that to say this: 

My school had a church group come in and have a required service that each grade had to sit through, and I'm pissed. 

Breen v. Runkel didn't happen for nothing and neither did Fink v. Board of Education. 

My friends and I are all either atheists or of a pagan religion, unfortunately, there isn't enough of us to go to the administration and actually make a difference.

I have already complained, called the board of education, and put up posters (cause that helps lol) to no avail and honestly just. Ugh. It's gross. 

(Also I'm pretty sure I put this in the right area, but I'm new, so if it needs to be moved that's chill)

Are you going to a public school? One funded by Federal/State tax dollars? If so, you may have grounds to go to the ACLU for help in this matter. Public schools are not allowed to subject their students to religious groups and, in fact, are breaking the law by doing so. Despite Becky DuBois & Co.'s attempts, this is still a separation of church and state issue.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I saw a trailer for a new series on UK telly yesterday...it was called 'School Swap' and it entails a Muslim and christian school mixing their pupils together..... something the Humanist society here has been trying to do for yonks...integrate faith schools into a secular state system.

I wish they'd stop it in the UK. In primary school I tossed the religion imposed upon me very early on, still had to sing annoying churchy songs. Then in secondary school it was the christian minister giving assemblies on 'values'. I asked to be opted out of them eventually because I hated sitting in assembly in the morning listening to this every week. I knew by then I was not christian. I was one of the only people who'd even thought about it in my class when they asked us. Shows how deep indoctrination goes if you present only one option in life. That's why there was never any buddhist assemblies or anyone else.

10 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Are you going to a public school? One funded by Federal/State tax dollars? If so, you may have grounds to go to the ACLU for help in this matter. Public schools are not allowed to subject their students to religious groups and, in fact, are breaking the law by doing so. Despite Becky DuBois & Co.'s attempts, this is still a separation of church and state issue.

Unfortunately, whether public schools are stopped from subjecting their students to religion depends upon the local school board, the state school superintendent, and the federal  administration.  There's a lotof disagreement on whether the Constitution actually forbids religion in schools/government.   In fact, the late Supreme Court Justice Scalia said publicly that there is no separation of church and state.  

Archived