Religion Doesn't Belong In Schooool

My Name is Tobias

My Name is Tobias

It seems as if every human being in the American south has forgotten that:

1) Church and State are S E P A R A T E 

2) You are not supposed to proselytize in school

AND

3) Our government was literally founded on secularism and if TJ were here now he would be disgusted at how much the church had to do with the government.

Anyway, I say all that to say this: 

My school had a church group come in and have a required service that each grade had to sit through, and I'm pissed. 

Breen v. Runkel didn't happen for nothing and neither did Fink v. Board of Education. 

My friends and I are all either atheists or of a pagan religion, unfortunately, there isn't enough of us to go to the administration and actually make a difference.

I have already complained, called the board of education, and put up posters (cause that helps lol) to no avail and honestly just. Ugh. It's gross. 

(Also I'm pretty sure I put this in the right area, but I'm new, so if it needs to be moved that's chill)

Captain_Tass

Hard agree. Religion is something personal and should NOT be practiced in a space such as a school. My country (Greece) can't comprehend that not all students are greek orthodox. A large portion of the students are atheists/ agnostics, some are pagan, some are jewish, some are muslims and some belong to other sects of christianity, such as catholicism or protestantism. And also there are many students with other religious/ philosophical beliefs apart from the ones I mentioned here. But to the system, everyone is orthodox. And orthodoxy based RE classes are COMPULSORY for everybody. Well, you can get off, but you'll either need to get your religion's representatives to negotiate with the school or, if you're an atheist or an agnostic, you need to get face deep in greek paperwork and get your parents' conscent (if you're a legal minor) for a chance to be excused from the class.

Optional RE classes belong only to certain universities. Not to public schools or private schools not based on religion. While we're at it, could we also ban religious private schools?

@My Name is Tobias Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant, I really needed to let off some steam. I'm very sorry you are in this situation. I wish you the best of luck!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I agree it doesn't belong in school other than on the curriculum so that students  get a greater understanding of others.

As above, I also think that religion is personal and probably should remain in the family practising it in conjunction with their place of worship.

It would be a great day when faith schools are abolished and folk can mix together...would do wonders for religious harmony. Just MHO.

My Name is Tobias
1 minute ago, Life Of Tass said:

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant

It's my pleasure! I know how much a good rant is needed. Especially with something like religion.

And also that entire situation is absolutely crazy. I would probably get in so much trouble if I were there purely for being a smartass and mouthing off about every orthodox reference there was

( as I frequently do here in regards to Christianity, and that isn't even an actual aspect of our schooling)

My Name is Tobias
1 minute ago, chandrakirti said:

I agree it doesn't belong in school other than on the curriculum so that students  get a greater understanding of others.

As above, I also think that religion is personal and probably should remain in the family practising it in conjunction with their place of worship.

It would be a great day when faith schools are abolished and folk can mix together...would do wonders for religious harmony. Just MHO.

It seriously would, because I honestly have no issue with any religion in and of itself. I'll mock most of them occasionally purely because I'm an ass, but if it wasn't forced onto people it would be much more chill.

SorryNotSorry

I totally agree. Isn't this the reason why we have private religious schools separate from the public school system in the first place???

I know that some people would consider it a slap in the face, but I don't think anyone should have religion crammed down their throats—including kids (*gasp!!!*). This is no doubt the reason why there are so many people who turn against organized religion and make rude jokes against it once they're done with school. And we see how Christian evangelicals and fundies just about have heart attacks whenever Islam is mentioned (jealous much?).

If you don't like the religion the school system is cramming down your kid's throat, or the religion the school is not cramming down your kid's throat, homeschool the kid instead.

My Name is Tobias
3 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

including kids

I seriously consider the indoctrination of children to be a form of child abuse. 

Do people realize how fucking MASSIVE the subject of religion is? I mean seriously. This is what you believe happens after you die, how you behave yourself, and how you set your morals. 

No religion should be taught to kids imo. 

Wait until they get to junior high at least, but preferably high school when they have actual educated opinions on things. 

And yeah honestly. Just keep your kids at home if you're not happy. Cause religion (and I can't stress this enough) doesn't belong in schools

SorryNotSorry
3 minutes ago, My Name is Tobias said:

I seriously consider the indoctrination of children to be a form of child abuse. 

Do people realize how fucking MASSIVE the subject of religion is? I mean seriously. This is what you believe happens after you die, how you behave yourself, and how you set your morals. 

Wait until they get to junior high at least, but preferably high school when they have actual educated opinions on things. 

And yeah honestly. Just keep your kids at home if you're not happy. Cause religion (and I can't stress this enough) doesn't belong in schools

It must be something about the American puritan mentality I've heard so much about, but it's implied that anyone under 18 is dumber than a bucket of rocks, therefore it's ok to mess with their minds. 

Truth be told, there are unintelligent kids, but then again there are unintelligent adults too, some of whom make it to their 70s and 80s never maturing mentally. And unfortunately some of those can and do come into positions of authority.

Studying world religions from an academic point of view is important to help break down stereotypes but absolutely, they shouldn't influence how things are taught or things of the sort. 

My Name is Tobias
1 minute ago, Woodworker1968 said:

It must be something about the American puritan mentality I've heard so much about, but it's implied that anyone under 18 is dumber than a bucket of rocks, therefore it's ok to mess with their minds. 

Truth be told, there are unintelligent kids, but then again there are unintelligent adults too, some of whom make it to their 70s and 80s never maturing mentally. And unfortunately some of those can and do come into positions of authority.

I know it too well, my Father is one of those people lol.

And I definitely agree, for the most part, the treatment of the intelligence of children is disgusting. Especially when it comes to manipulating them in one way or another.

I'm not for or against religion being taught in schools, I just don't really see the harm of it being taught in school. If you don't have any religious beliefs, then it shouldn't matter.

30 minutes ago, My Name is Tobias said:

So if you believe in eternal life and your six-year-old asks you what happens after death you pretend not to believe in anything?

What I'm trying to say is that it is impossible to raise kids in a "neutral" way with regards to religion and morals. What is possible, however, is to allow them to question what you're saying (which normally happens around puberty) and to decide for themselves whether or not they believe in whatever religion.

My Name is Tobias
19 minutes ago, Jona Rhys said:

So if you believe in eternal life and your six-year-old asks you what happens after death you pretend not to believe in anything?

What I'm trying to say is that it is impossible to raise kids in a "neutral" way with regards to religion and morals. What is possible, however, is to allow them to question what you're saying (which normally happens around puberty) and to decide for themselves whether or not they believe in whatever religion.

Yeah no, I most definitely agree that questions should be answered, but to answer in the most neutral way possible like "I believe this, but it is okay if you don't" things like that.

When I said taught I more meant forced. All questions should be answered and all opinions should be open.

My Name is Tobias
26 minutes ago, Winter Spirit ❅ said:

I'm not for or against religion being taught in schools, I just don't really see the harm of it being taught in school. If you don't have any religious beliefs, then it shouldn't matter.

It should definitely be taught in an educational way, knowing about different religions will help you be more respectful toward those who believe differently than you. 

However, proselytizing and spreading religion can be harmful to a students mental well being, and when it happens in schools the students who don't follow that religion are left out and called out/bullied more than they would be otherwise. If they would be at all. 

My Name is Tobias
Just now, Phoenix the II said:

Moved from Intersectionality to Philosophy, Politics, and Science, on behalf of Homer.

Phoenix the II

Thank you!

I think it all depends on how it's being taught in school. Of course they shouldn't say "You should believe in this" but I don't think it's wrong for them to teach students about religion.

My Name is Tobias
1 hour ago, My Name is Tobias said:

t should definitely be taught in an educational way, knowing about different religions will help you be more respectful toward those who believe differently than you. 

However, proselytizing and spreading religion can be harmful to a students mental well being, and when it happens in schools the students who don't follow that religion are left out and called out/bullied more than they would be otherwise. If they would be at all. 

^^^^^^

Just now, Carson:) said:

I think it all depends on how it's being taught in school. Of course they shouldn't say "You should believe in this" but I don't think it's wrong for them to teach students about religion.

@My Name is Tobias, be careful what you do. More than one religion has "fundamentalists" adhering to it as an excuse to harass and attack minorities 

@My Name is Tobias That wouldn't stop bullying, though. If it weren't about someone's views then it would be about something else. There will never be any guarantee anywhere you go that you will be safe from other people lashing out at you. I honestly hate the term "bullying" because it's placing people in roles, and then people have a victim mentality as a result. I recommend reading up about The Drama Triangle.

@My Name is Tobias Hi. Are you able to have your parents speak to the school? Perhaps, they'd be more willing to listen to them. When my sibling and I had a few teachers who tried to give homework where we were supposed to write an essay about "God," even though it wasn't a part of the curriculum at all, and we weren't learning about other religions, my parents talked to the teachers, and they stopped giving those assignments.

My Name is Tobias
Just now, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

@My Name is Tobias Hi. Are you able to have your parents speak to the school? Perhaps, they'd be more willing to listen to them. When my sibling and I had a few teachers who tried to give homework where we were supposed to write an essay about "God," even though it wasn't a part of the curriculum at all, and we weren't learning about religions, my parents talked to the teachers, and they stopped giving those assignments.

My parents are both highly religious, so I severely doubt they would have any objections to what the school did

My Name is Tobias
17 minutes ago, Winter Spirit ❅ said:

@My Name is Tobias That wouldn't stop bullying, though. If it weren't about someone's views then it would be about something else. There will never be any guarantee anywhere you go that you will be safe from other people lashing out at you. I honestly hate the term "bullying" because it's placing people in roles, and then people have a victim mentality as a result. I recommend reading up about The Drama Triangle.

I have read up on it, and I never meant to imply that it would stop bullying as a whole. I more intended it to say that it would lessen the stigma around being irreligious and foster a more accepting atmosphere that would, in turn, reduce the amount of teasing, verbal degradation, or physical abuse that people have to endure

Bruce Wayne

To be honest, I am against religious beliefs to be taught at schools. Simply because a lot of religions are traditional, in some cases may be the source of misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, even acephobia... I'm not even sure that it's good to learn about religion in general. If something causes the society not to grow, it should not be taught. And honestly after reading about Polish priests burning Harry Potter books in front of their church, I do not feel so good for their religion. If people believe in something, it's their faith... But religion is all about power. If we stop teaching about it, people will hopefully forget it... I hope this does not sound radical but such are my feelings about this...

5 hours ago, My Name is Tobias said:

if TJ were here now he would be disgusted at how much the church had to do with the government.

I'm here, and, yes I'm disgusted.:P

Seriously...religion doesn't belong on the planet, let alone in schools.

My Name is Tobias
1 minute ago, Tja said:

I'm here, and, yes I'm disgusted.:P

Seriously...religion doesn't belong on the planet, let alone in schools.

Oh my gosh XD I meant Thomas Jefferson, but honestly, I'm sure you're a close second

Anthracite_Impreza

I don't believe in faith schools. I believe an overview of all types of religion should be given, with no favouritism, and let people decide for themselves. Unfortunately that won't happen, cos parents always bring their kids up in a biased way.

Archived