"Nothing I've ever said have been true" a philosophy and identity discussion

Klaus

Nothing I've ever said have been true. Just look at what you can do by redefining words. This very sentence could litteray mean anything. 
    Nothing I've ever said have been true. Just look at all the different intepritation a poem might have. And if you leave no room for imagination or intepitation then it would not be sentence. 
    Nothing i've ever said have been true. Just look at how the meaning of your own words grows with you until you can not remember what they once ment. 
    A simple sentence of words will never be simple. Understand that and nothing will ever be simple again. I've tried to make sence with my life. I've tried to figure out my truth and ultimately what I should care about. I failed! 
    Why do we have friends and why is a friend the most likely answer. To stop me from going in circles. 
    Did you understand any of this? Don't worry you are not alone. Some of you might believe that you did and some that you didn't. You are all wrong. Because nothing is definite.

Is there anyone that recognises any of these thougts?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes actually, I enjoy thinking about stuff like this when I'm in the right mood. Words can have fluid definitions and change over time or depending on how they're being used. You can also arbitrarily decide words mean different things, in which case language becomes meaningless. If each word has infinite definitions then anything can mean anything, leading to a paradox where everything means nothing. Yup, life is confusing.

• 2 weeks later...
what the face

On 4/3/2019 at 3:46 PM, Klaus said:

Because nothing is definite.

Difficulty in understanding comes from seeing things in isolation from each other. 

Words are themselves abstractions of reality.

Our brains are trained and have evolved to view objects and words selectively and assign connections

to find meaning.  The resultant thinking (about words) is completely abstract and separate from concrete reality.

Explanation is NOT understanding.

When we can see a thing holistically, in its context,  we can see that thing more fully as itself.

Its whole self.   

Seeing a dog is real and reading the word dog is not.

Understanding is without abstract or logical explanation.

"Definite" suggests isolation.

"Nothing" precludes anything and everything.

• 2 months later...

Thank you. Reading my thoughts reflected through someone else's mind and also extended, made it easier for to see this little wordplay as something less absolute.

Do someone else want to make this thread into a place to share interesting thoughts about perception. 

the grammar of the original prompt for this thread is what gets me going...

because my brain goes "has been" should be "has been"

so that quirk of grammar changed my perception of the nature of the phrase. "has been true" implies a negative with that "nothing" as subject.

but "have been true" suddenly changes the connotation of "nothing" for me. it is the same sort of nothing I hear in the lyrics to Strawberry Fields. "nothing is real"

this nothing that now seems more true, more real than not... is it like Joshu's Mu?

This reminds me of this soliloquy from Macbeth:

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

when I think in english, knowing no other language, I think about that one  few seconds before the fight between Rocky and that Russian as he says "I must break you." it's an apology.

boxing is the most boring part of some movies, not like someone getting stilted by paradoxes at all.

LtheOptimisticPessimist

Perhaps we don't know anything--we just think that we know. But who knows? What do I know? 🤷‍♀️

There's also a generally agreed upon meaning of words and phrases so that we can communicate effectively. However, I would think that eah of us perceives words differently to some extent, so maybe we're never really on the same page even when we think we are.

4 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

It is a tale

Signifying nothing.

... is this the main implication?

Or in other words....

Do you bite your thumb at me, sir? 😄

5 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

omorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

My understanding of that poem is that a person is mad at how the glories of history is forgotten and replaced by mistakes in the retelling. And also he is afraid of how his story one day might be just a drunken retelling of an idiot. The second meaning would be (if we actually look at the actual poem and not the character behind it) that our lifes doesn't matter and our stories will eventually be corrupted and has thereof no meaning.

I write this because I don't get your conversation ^comment above^.

Or perhaps it is because I just don't think that I know your conversation.

6 hours ago, Klaus said:

I write this because I don't get your conversation ^comment above^.

Or perhaps it is because I just don't think that I know your conversation.

I was just being a bit of a Shakespeare nerd... sorry :D 

I don’t think I've explained this very well- I just left it here to be mysterious and whimsical. 😂

My interpretation has always been that Macbeth looks back on his actions and realises it has all been for nothing. His wife is dead. He too faces death. He has no heir. He has betrayed and murdered all the people he held dear. Essentially, he’s having a bit of a mid-life crisis. 

This was my convoluted way of saying that how nothing means anything in a vague response to the original post. But I mainly just wanted to talk about Macbeth, because hey, Macbeth.

• 1 month later...

Was a little impatient writing this...

Sometime in the far past, if time even is a factor, the first thing happened. From that thing a ripple of things spread out, if space even is a variable. These movements (not necessarily actual movement or even any form of known energy switching form) eventually caused our time and place and all movement and other things in it.

In other words what I am suggesting is that everything that is and some that isn’t might originate from the same event. And that there is no randomly generated ripple that interferes with this ancient pattern leading up to this place and time. This would in turn mean that it very much exist such a thing as fate. But the thing that might predict such a fate must exist outside the ancient pattern described above. In turn that would mean that if there ever was a thing that could predict fate and then tell anyone about it, then all fates would be changed forever. And since I live under the presumption that nothing could ever truly understand themselves, then that thing that predicted fate and made an imprint of them self in the world by telling someone about fate; would never understand it again.

All of this comes from the assumption that there is no such thing as random not even in how a person perceives reality. But how would you ever now is such a thing could be true.

Archived