Synesthesia  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have synesthesia?

• Yes, multiple types
    • Yes, one type
    • No
    • What is that?
  2. 2. What form is it?

• Projective synesthesia: see actual colors, forms, or shapes when stimulated
    • Associative synesthesia: feeling a very strong and involuntary connection between the stimulus and the sense that it triggers
    • Both
    • Other
    • Neither, I do not have synesthesia
  3. 3. What type(s)? (There are up to 80, these are most common)

• Grapheme-Color (letters or numbers to colors)
    • Chromesthesia (sounds to colors)
    • Spacial-Sequence (Sequences to points in space, like a map)
    • Number form (similar to spacial-sequence, but with numbers)
    • Auditory-tactile (sound to physical sensation)
    • Ordinal Linguistic Personification (letters or numbers have personalities)
    • Mirror-touch (feel on yourself when another person is touched)
    • Lexical-gustatory (sound to taste)
    • Other
    • None, I don't have synesthesia
  4. 4. Do you experience ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response)?

• Yes, frequently
    • Yes, somewhat
    • Yes, rarely
    • No
  5. 5. Do you wish there were a synesthesia community website online?

• Yes
    • Yes, I never thought of that
    • Doesn't apply to me, but it sounds cool!
    • No, it's not important

This poll is closed to new votes

Do you have synesthesia? What types? Would you like to see an online community for synesthetes?

Grumpy Alien

Time-space

Number form - I didn't know there is a word for this. I don't know whether it is helpful for maths but let me tell you that calculating around a corner is much more difficult than on a straight line. You have to stop at the corner, so to speak.

A lot of songs/sounds remind me of colors, shapes, and/or images. I also often "hear motion" for example these dots basically make me "hear" breathing sounds.

Spoiler

I experience ASMR frequently, for the longest time I didn't even know there were words for these things. I don't really care either way about having an online community for them but if other people want it then sure.

Grapheme colour, and Ordinal Linguistic Personification - didn't know there was a name for that.

I'm not quite sure if I understand the difference between associative and projective synesthesia.

Firstly, there is projective synesthesia in which the synesthete hears, sees, feels, smells or tastes the second sensation which is triggered by the initial stimulus. An example of this is a synesthete smelling apples whenever they hear a guitar playing a certain note. The smell of the apples is as real for the synesthete as the sound they are hearing.

The second major category is associative synesthesia. Synesthetes who fall in this group feel the connection between a stimulus and a sense by which it is not normally perceived. In the above example, while a synesthete with associative synesthesia will not smell apples, they will feel a strong association between guitar's music and the smell of apples. 

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/synesthesia/the-many-types-of-synesthesia-explained/

This is an explanation I just found online, but I'm still none the wiser, to be honest. How can you feel an association when the stimulus doesn't trigger any sensation? I have a feeling that in most cases, it's rather difficult to separate those two types of synesthesia.

everywhere and nowhere

I experience a bit of that, but mostly under the influence of certain substances.

EngineeRaven

I have the number thing since I was a kid.

Also there is something with smells and lights? Like certain smells and lights make me associate of certain feelings when combined. Or maybe that's just memory working, idk.

Not offically diagnosed but I might have associative synthesia. To be specific, I might have chromesthia and mirror-touch. I also associate words with personalities in general, though it is hard to define exactly what words I naturally assign a personality though I assign LOADS of words.

I listen to music and I strongly associate parts of songs with colours naturally. I essentially hear colours in my music. The same colours every time. I notice similar instruments and sounds across different songs tend to have similar colours, like higher notes are lighter colours and lower notes are darker colours. I also seem to hear colours in voices. For some reason, extremely autotuned voices tend to sound very neon, usually sound like oversaturated neon colours (like a female's voice under heavy autotune is bright neon magenta) while more quiet and uneditted voices tend to be more "natural" and lighter, more less saturated colours. I could have chromesthia.

I also might have the mirror-touch because I remember for my entire life, ever since I was a kid, if I saw someone get hurt, whether in real life or on a movie/TV show/etc, I would feel a weird sensation in whatever part of my body it was and clutch it. For example, if I was watching a movie and someone, for example hit their elbow really hard and hit their funny bone, I would clutch my elbow and then my elbow would feel weird, as if I'm on the verge of hitting my funny bone too.

Also when I was 12 I once drew up all these personifications of the Days of the Week that kept popping into my head and wouldn't go away. Like Friday was this orange bird/dragon-type thing. Very strange.

I also don't actually see any of it - I just get a really vivid vision of it in my mind.

And yes, I love listening to ASMR because it does give me the "tingles". Generally prefer the non-talking ones, though there are times I don't mind the talking/whispering ones as long as they're not the creepy mouth sounds ones - those ones are creepy and SOOO disgusting... how does the sound of spit relax people? Yucky!! I like the "tapping on (insert object - for example, bath bombs, tables, phone cases, etc)" or whatever though. The eating ones are a bit weird and I generally dislike them... they're just so weird, though there are rare exceptions

Just my thoughts.

• 1 month later...
QueenOfTheRats

is trypophobia a form of synestisia? I have that for sure.

Numbers, letters  and sounds seem vaguely colorful when I feel ill, but I might be a trender and imagining it too.

CelesteAdAstra

My strongest type is ticker tape synesthesia - this basically means that I always "see" spoken words written out before my mind's eye, like subtitles in real life.

I have other forms which are less strong, and I don't experience them as frequently.

For example, music is movement, shapes and sometimes colours to me. There are songs that don't have any synesthetic connection at all - I usually dislike them. My favourite songs are blue-silver and look like raindrops or the motion of falling leaves. My mind is a weird place.

Textures can bring on strong emotions, take denim for example. Feeling it on my skin gives me a terrible feeling of disgust, like there's something dirty on me.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

-Numbers and letters have colors, personalities, and points in space.

-Motion has sound

-Music has color and points in space

-Mirror touch

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I instantly see everything I hear and also instantly hear everything I read.

Toothlesss

I haven’t been diagnosed but I’m pretty sure I have a more obscure form of Personification. Different movies/shows/medium all tend to have a unique feel/personality to them. I can also feel physically heavier when watching something more adult or more rarely makes me sob.  

I’m not an expert so I’m going by what I know of synesthesia.

• 10 months later...

@pastelsun

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived