How do I become PASSIONATE about studies again?

Guest iwanttolearn

Guest iwanttolearn

Hello, how is everyone?

im in my 4th and final year in uni and I have no motivation to study, thankfully in previous years I overloaded and did additional courses so this year I have fewer courses to deal with.. :)

still, I have to keep working hard, but I can’t seem to force myself, can someone offer me tips and advice on how to study hard and passionately and joyfully once again??

thank you so much :)

Motivation is something I've always struggled with because of my depression. The most I can say is try to find a goal to work towards and even when it's hard just start doing it, eventually your mind may catch up.

Have you looked at a therapist yet?

LauraGarnham

Final year at uni is hard! Would it help you to think about what you will do with good grades if you get them? E.g. what amazing career opportunities might be open to you, and also how proud you will be of yourself. That might help you to find some motivation. To regain interest/passion, if you can I would take a break, take as long as you can afford to and don't do anything to do with work. I know this might mean you miss a few lectures, but if you think about it, if you were physically sick you would also miss these...

nineGardens

What are you studying? Why did you start studying it? What is the craziest/most interesting thing you have learned about it? Who are your heroes in the field? What is it that you still want to work out? what will you do with your skills? How will this benifit you? the world?

What happens if you follow your curiousity (rather than just your course work)?

Anthracite_Impreza

You can't force yourself to become passionate, but if your lack of motivation remains it can be a symptom of depression. I've had a horrendous lack of motivation my whole life, it's taken a long time to find my true passions.

This is such a common phenomenon it has a name - "senioritis." =]

On the contrary vs depression, it's also completely logical that you're burnt out, you're ready to be done, it's time to go, etc. You're transitioning away from being a student and toward being a productive member of society, so some of this lack of motivation may be emotional maturity; you don't really want to be treated like a student anymore. You're educated, independent, and ready to tackle bigger and better things on your own. These are good things. =]

Nobody but you can make you feel passionate about what you're doing, I'm afraid. But do re-evaluate your criteria for success. Do you need to get perfect grades in all of your classes, or will it be acceptable to take passing grades? Is there something you can use to motivate yourself (eg, a reward - a new piercing, a tattoo, a video game console, a puppy [just remember that is nearly two decades' worth of expense and responsibility so don't take that lightly - but still, that's a good reward =D])? I found in my last year of uni that what I really needed was a readjusted work-life balance. My uni days were the best days of my life, and I wanted to use that last year to make good memories, not just study (as I had for the years prior to that year). I found I was actually better at allocating my time if I gave myself more time to go out and enjoy life. I could spend three hours begrudgingly studying, or I could spend 2 hours playing ultimate frisbee and an hour getting all the studying done that I needed to get done, anyway. Balance is important, and sometimes giving yourself the permission to relax makes you more efficient during the hours you're focused.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretend you're Sherlock Holmes, trying to get to the bottom of whatever the topic is. I know this sounds like a joke but it actually helps. If you find yourself slipping, say something to yourself like "Noooowwww, back to my hunch! Aha! I've cracked it! The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!"

Archived