Amount of Posts Per Page

Hello!

Recently I was looking through threads here on the AVEN forum and I noticed that there are 30 posts on each page. I was thinking that 30 is a bit much, since it's a lot to scroll through. Maybe 10 or 15 would work better? But I understand that it would be a lot of work to change it of course, so I'm just pointing it out in case anyone would find my observation useful.

AshenPhoenix

Personally, I can't remember if any settings like these were easily changed on the admod's side of things. I'm not an admod but jut as a heads up, if there aren't options for this provided in the control panels by Invision (the company that platforms AVEN currently), there wouldn't be much the admods can do about it.

Honestly though, coming back and realizing how much there is to scroll through, I don't really disagree too much.

Philip027

I always wish more posts could be displayed per page on most forums, this one included...

• Like 3

LeChat

Sometimes, I used to think that AVEN had a lot of posts to go through per page, but after using a website with a catalog that only lists ten per page, I've discovered that I prefer having more posts/catalog items to go through rather than only ten because the site with less per page takes a lot more time to load each page than for me to read it (which causes it to feel as though it takes me longer to read and see as many items as the equivalent to sites like AVEN's. So, I don't enjoy having to click for more pages on the site with only ten items per page.)

• Like 1

Sally

I wish it were easier to reply to only a specific section of a post, so that people wouldn't just default to replying to the whole post (which is often quite long).  That would mean there could be MORE posts per page, which I think is preferable.  

Member131995

I quasi agree. On my phone 30 feels like a lot to scroll through. But on my laptop sometimes I wish it was more so there weren't so many pages to read to catch up on a thread but honestly it doesn't bother me all that much.

But I do think it might be a cool feature, if it was possible, to allow a setting where users could set it according to personal preference. I realize that might be more difficult than it sounds in the back end but still u nice thought.

Una Salus Victus

Given that there's posts that can date back to 2002, and 30 isn't that much of a big number? Pfft. A lot of them die quickly. A lot of them have been dead for years. If you want an easier solution, mark the whole page as read, and take note of the active ones that you find more interesting.

Sexual Ally

What you're suggesting sounds... wasteful.  Why clutter a thread with 30 pages, making it almost impossible to find any individual post, when the whole thing can be easily formatted on 10 or 15?   I understand ppl have short attention spans and can only read thru so much in 2019.  But increading the number of pages just increases the # of pages.   It doesn't alter the amount of content.

+ for me, when engrossed in a thread, having to load a new page breaks the conversational "flow". 

.Lia
4 hours ago, Sally said:

I wish it were easier to reply to only a specific section of a post, so that people wouldn't just default to replying to the whole post (which is often quite long).  That would mean there could be MOST posts per page, which I think is preferable.  

Highlight the section you want to reply to and a "quote this" button will kind of pop up so you can quote just the bit that you want.

• Like 6

daveb

Another thing with fewer posts per page is that it can be tricky to multi-quote from more than one page if you're responding to multiple posts in a thread, especially if you're doing the highlight and quote this thing Lia mentioned. I find I sometimes do a highlight quote, write a response, do another highlight quote, response, etc., then sometimes when I go to the next page for more of that I lose everything I've quoted and written in the previous page.

• Like 1

LeChat

@daveb Oh, yeah. I forgot about that! Thanks, for the reminder. Yes; there have been a few times, where that happened to me, too.

• Like 1

Janus DarkFox

I remember a point in time with old forum software that the number of posts per page can be user set to 10, 25, 50 or 100 or so.  In many forums of bast but not any more these days.  I suppose it's like it is to allow those with older devices, resource poor devices or poorer internet connections load pages in relative time, within a so called "attention span timeout" limit, the time a typical person would back out or close a blank page.

From a recent upgrade from a laptop to a resource rich gaming tower PC, I can see first hand how much it is difference in page loads and to the extension of my staff duties, in the Firefox Quantum Browser version 66.0.1.

Maybe such a setting is Admin or Webmaster level, I think though it's unlikely to change, if changeable that is.

Philip027

On my phone 30 feels like a lot to scroll through.

You're still having to scroll through posts to read them regardless of how many are on a page... just means that the fewer posts per page there are, the more clicks on small "next page" buttons you have to do in addition to the scrolling. 😕