The Varsity — Asexuality: “Identity over society’s fixation with sex”

Homer

Today, we recognize that sexuality and gender fall on a spectrum. Sexual orientations such as homosexuality, bisexuality, and pansexuality are well-known, but I’d like to talk about a lesser known one: asexuality. Not everyone is — or wants to be — sexually active.

I wrote to my friend, Tab*, who is asexual, asking her some questions to hopefully shed some light on the nuanced meanings of asexuality and how she navigates relationships. 

Mar 24 - https://thevarsity.ca/2019/03/24/asexuality-identity-over-societys-fixation-with-sex/

everywhere and nowhere

I really liked this fragment, it's very close to what I myself think about this subject:

I think the mistake is when people say that sex is the ‘ultimate’ form of intimacy, or even the only form.

What if it is for them? If it's not a general statement, but just someone speaking from their own personal experience?

firewallflower
6 hours ago, Homer said:

What if it is for them? If it's not a generalstatement, but just someone speaking from their own personal experience?

If an individual finds that, for them, sex is the highest form of intimacy, that's totally fine. I'd offer that experience the same respect that I would hope others would give me for finding sex not beneficial to intimacy at all. It's when it does move on to generalizations (as does often tend to happen, even without realizing it) that it can be problematic.

Since I find analogies helpful when I'm trying to work through ideas myself, I compared this to monoamory vs. polyamory. For me personally, I'm not sure if I'm "amorous" at all in the sense of sexuality/romance—but if applicable, I'm pretty definitively monoamorous. To me, a one-on-one, committed, exclusive relationship is the ultimate, most meaningful arrangement of "relationship".

From that perspective, I could hypothetically say that monoamory is the ultimate ideal of commitment—because, for me, from my experience, it is. On the other hand, I'm aware that many polyamorous-identifying people, from their own feelings and experiences, would disagree with me on that count. 😛 And that's just as valid as my own point of view. So, rather than saying that monoamory is the ultimate ideal, I might say that it's my ultimate ideal. (Actually, I probably wouldn't say anything unless a very specific conversational topic arose, but just for the sake of argument. :P) There's a small but significant difference there, between the general and the personal, and I think the issue the interview is talking about falls more into the first category.

You do you, I'll do me, they'll do them—we just need to avoid projecting our own experiences as universalities.

Archived