In need of advice about my blog

Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa

I'm at a crossroads. I have a blog that currently shows flash fiction stories. They are an easy read. But I also thought about adding controversial content because I need space to share my perspective. At the same time, I'm not too keen on putting my perspective out there and getting caught in the crosshairs on social media. Yet I feel the need to make some sort of impact by airing my political views. I thought about doing this indirectly through storytelling.

I also thought about being a book blogger, which would widen my range of blog topics. Then I could review and respond to different ideas.

So my question is, would it be better to keep the content nice and warm and fuzzy with flash fiction stories, or try to influence readers with my political perspective?

I'm so stuck.

firewallflower

I suppose one possibility, if you want to live in both worlds, would be to start a second blog for the more controversial content, while leaving the warm/fuzzy spirit of your original blog intact. (That way, readers could stick to one blog or the other or both, depending on their comfort and interests—plus, if you ever did find yourself regretting putting yourself out there, it would be easier to let that one go while maintaining the other.)

Honestly, though, this probably isn't the type of reply you were hoping for, but I don't think there's a single right/wrong answer here. It all depends on what you want, what your blogging goal is—and that's not something so simple as which would be the "better" approach. All your ideas—from fuzziness to political commentary—are fine and valid. It just depends.

Whatever course you opt for, good luck—and try not to overthink it, because you really can't go wrong, all you can do is choose a different right. :)

Clumsy Fairy

HAhahahaa.. I just spent like 30 min drafting and revising a message to you @Yoey but you can't receive them... This is hardly spam.. so here goes:

Hey there...

About your blog...

I think I have talked to you  before about ASM...

Things really have moved on since then.

At the moment we are looking for people who wish to publish serious blogs,  in order that we can showcase them, and hopefully encourage others to do the same..

I am sure we will be able to accommodate your needs, generate publicity for you, and work together to promote your work, and our site.

ASM has a vision about genuine equality, and inclusionism. We really are trying to open up asexuality to everyone regardless of political or intellectual leaning.

ASM is steadily being taken more seriously, and the campaigning we have been running to promote political equality has really started to garner results.

Drop me a line when you have a minute to discuss ways we can help host and promote your blog.

G0D ( Lord Grep).

Clumsy Fairy
1 hour ago, firewallflower said:

I suppose one possibility, if you want to live in both worlds, would be to start a second blog for the more controversial content, while leaving the warm/fuzzy spirit of your original blog intact.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. And hence I suggested the home of "controversial" <grin>.

1 hour ago, Yoey said:

I'm at a crossroads. I have a blog that currently shows flash fiction stories. They are an easy read. But I also thought about adding controversial content because I need space to share my perspective. At the same time, I'm not too keen on putting my perspective out there and getting caught in the crosshairs on social media. Yet I feel the need to make some sort of impact by airing my political views. I thought about doing this indirectly through storytelling.

I also thought about being a book blogger, which would widen my range of blog topics. Then I could review and respond to different ideas.

So my question is, would it be better to keep the content nice and warm and fuzzy with flash fiction stories, or try to influence readers with my political perspective?

I'm so stuck.

No matter what you do, people will love or hate it. Try to maintain a balance between between fairness and opinionated. No one likes a preacher, so try to present your views in a way that fair to both sides and weight the pros and cons of each side respectfully. This will allow you to keep your readers that you didn't know were on the other side, and earn the respect of them. 

Archived