New puppy/dog potty training advice?

kelico

As the title suggests. :P I have recently acquired the most adorable little sweetheart I've named Lily. She's a miniature parti-poodle like Totey was. : )) I love her to bits.

Spoiler

20190311-141401.jpg

So. She's 5 months, spent most of her life in an enclosure with other puppies just eating, drinking, weeing, and pooing, all in that space. And now it's up to me to try and retrain her to go outside....she's done well lately as far as pottying outside (at first she wouldn't at all, and I'd stand outside foreverrrr), but she's still having accidents in the house frequently. Sometimes twice within one hour! 

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice on potty training a dog? : ) We do have a crate, but it's mostly used for her bedtime. I'd rather not have her in there hours a day. (she's very high energy, too) We have playpens we put her in, but she will go in them as well. So yeah. I'd love any advice or stories!! Thanks, guys!! :cake: 

Congrats on the new pup! She's adorable!!💖

Sorry, no advice on potty training.pooper-scooper.gif

Happy National Puppy Day! smiley-puppy-emoticon.gif

Unfortunately the only thing i can offer is to take them to the place where they're supposed to use the bathroom when it looks like they need to go. Then they will associate that place with using the bathroom. There's a lot of training videos and online help, though. And I would push for positive reinforcement as much as possible. It is more efficient and better for your dog if they associate good behaviors with positive things like treats or attention.

Member131995

Okay, first of all, she's absolutely positively without a doubt, the most adorable peanut I've ever seen!💙

Congratulations on the new puppy, she looks like an absolute sweetheart!

Not sure if I'm authorized to give advice since I have cats, but when I adopted them they were six weeks old and while one caught on to the litter quick, the other didn't. Like  @Dr. Beat says, try to catch her when she looks like she needs to go. In my case, I had to be a hawk and watch for Yoghurt, he would pop a squat and if I was paying attention and quick, I'd scoop him up and plop him in the box and eventually, he caught on too. Also, lots of positive reinforcement too like pats or treats, or doing an activity she likes!😊 Good luck with puppy!

Having potty trained two puppies, I can offer you this:

Keep your puppy in the same room as you are in no matter what.  Always be watchful of her wanting to go off in a corner to pee.  When she starts sniffing around, looking for a place, immediately take her outside and stay there till the job is done, offering lavish praise and use the same command each time.  go Pee.  Keep her in her crate when you can't watch her.  Clean up any accident sites with urine stain and odor removal enzymes (Urine Gone) cuz they like to go back to the same spots.  take her outside right after a meal for pooping.  Dogs have very short digestive tracts.  more Lavish praise, like you are totally thrilled they relieved themselves, after each successful outdoor potty.   Even after she gets the hang of going outside,  praise her for every elimination.  I still praise my ten year old Shepherd anytime she eliminates outside,  (nice pee!) and she has had almost no accidents, even as a puppy.  she even makes it outside to vomit.  It helps to have a dog door or flap.  Good luck

Congrats on da puppy! I LOVE dogs and have two of my own, a min pin (Peanut) who's about 8 years old and a lab/boxer mix (Loki) we've raised from about 4 months old (pictured). I've only ever had males so that might be a difference in raising I'm not aware of.

I had a crate I was going to use for Loki but felt guilty leaving him in there so that went out the window shortly after buying it. I don't work so it was easy to train Loki in a fairly short time.  I put him on a schedule for food and water until I could tell how long it took him to have to potty. As a general rule, I could wait about 20 minutes to take him out after he ate or drank. Then when I did take him out, I would say, "Outside?" I wanted to associate the word with having to go and going out so when I did ask him later, he could respond. I always praised him when he did. And, as it happened, he would finally come to me and whine and when I'd ask, "Outside," he would go to the door and I'd let him out. I used to give him treats for that but he no longer needs it. I never quite figured out how to get them outside before vomiting though. It's not a daily thing so... Muledeer's one-upped me on that...lol 

Good luck and enjoy your puppy. : )

My $0.02.

~Hank

Thank you, guys!! You're all so sweet. : )) We are certainly blessed to have Lily. :D <333

And thank you for the advice. I've been trying all of it and will continue to do so. :cake: 

19 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Even after she gets the hang of going outside,  praise her for every elimination.  I still praise my ten year old Shepherd anytime she eliminates outside,  (nice pee!) 

I love this. : )) I praised my little old man every time he went as well. Didn't matter how old or how much of a pro he was at 18. : ) I'm just hoping Lily can get the hang of it, too!

Schedules are helpful. Take woof out at roughly the same time(s) every day and she'll adjust to that.

Also, aw.

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Schedules are helpful. Take woof out at roughly the same time(s) every day and she'll adjust to that.

Also, aw.

Thanks! : ) Yeah. The thing is we're still kind of adhering to the "take her out 20 min after she eats, drinks, sleeps, plays" type of schedule for a puppy cause if we don't, it seems like she wees in the house! Lol. But maybe try to relax more on that and she'll adjust??

Archived