Was this the right answer?

Crazycrazycultist

Crazycrazycultist

So, I was in my English class one day listening about the activity before getting to read the next book. The activity was simple: The teacher gives a question vaguely related to the book, and you either go to one side of the room if you agree, and the other if you disagree. Fairly simple.

Anyway, the teacher then asks this question...

"When is it ever okay to cheat in a relationship?"

Mostly everybody went to the disagreement side, while stayed on the other end to give my reasoning. (There were other people on my side, but they were there because they didn't want to get up.) Anyway, once everybody's taken a seat, she asks us why we feel that way about the topic. And I give my reasoning for how it could be okay to cheat in a relationship.

"If someone was forced into an arranged marriage and they loved someone else?"

I swear, the look the class gave me. They looked at me like I said something completely unrelated to what we were talking about. And, the teacher wasn't really helping.

"This more of a modern outlook on the question."

By the way, the book we were reading? Written in the 20s.

I type this out because...is this the correct answer. No one else had anything to answer with, do I was basically the only person who actually thought this question over.

if the question was about if you agreed or disagreed then it sounds entirely based on opinion. If so then no you were not wrong to answer the way you did. Even if this is supposed to be a more modern outlook on cheating arranged marriage and child marriages still take place today. People forget that the US still has a TON of child marriages because of the age limit and work around with the marriage system. I just think you thought outside the box and people generalized the act of cheating in a relationship to the basics.

Member131995

I'd say, not a wrong answer at all, I think it's a relevant thing and it seems a bit annoying the teacher seems to consider child and arranged marriages to be a thing of the past. Also, if she was asking the question in reference to a book the class was about to read that was written in the 20s I think your answer was quite relevant.

Anthracite_Impreza

Arranged and forced marriages definitely still go on today; WTF is your teacher on about?

9 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Arranged and forced marriages definitely still go on today; WTF is your teacher on about?

Yeah I was just thinking. I know three Indians who were all in arranged marriages, and 1 lived in America.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:17 AM, Crazycrazycultist said:

"When is it ever okay to cheat in a relationship?"

Given the setup, this is a horrendously bad question to ask. You can't just agree or disagree if it's not an either/or question.

"Do you prefer green or blue grapes?" - "I disagree!" No sense being made. Other than that, it doesn't matter what you said (unless this is part of a long time project where a setup like this determines which route the class will take.) Other than that, you might have kept that in mind longer than anybody else now.

Archived