I'm afraid to tell my parents

Tamara Porter

Tamara Porter

Hello I just recently came out to my friends and sister as asexual and they have all been supportive and understanding. I haven't told my parents yet as they aren't understanding and I'm afraid they will say that asexuality isn't a real sexuality or that I just haven't found the "right" person yet. I know I should tell them because they are my parents, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet.

I’m out to my friends and even a few colleagues at work, but I am not out to my parents.

There is no requirement to come out to anyone, just follow your heart (and stay safe) 🙂

I don’t feel like I have to tell my parents, but I feel I would like to tell them at some point, so I probably will one day; when the time and format is right 🙂

NickyTannock

@Tamara Porter Welcome to AVEN!

You don't have to tell your parents.

But if you want to, you could show them this, http://www.whatisasexuality.com/family-and-friends/parents/

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's an R2D2 Cake,

r2d2_cake.jpg

Custard Cream

Hello and welcome. If you are still living with your parents, it would be sensible to hold back on coming out to them unless and until you feel absolutely safe to do so. 

Here is some welcome cake for you!

BakedOccasions_BirthdayCake.jpg

Hello there and welcome! 

I would agree with those saying that you should feel absolutely ready to come out before you do so. No one is forcing you, so take as much time as you need to. When you feel ready - everything will be more natural, genuine and might even prevent comments like "maybe you just haven't find the right person yet" and ect, if the people you're coming out to feel that you are certain and confident. Also it might help to do some research or something. Maybe if you give your parents some concrete information or maybe even some data or  something it might help avoid them saying that asexuality is not a sexuality. 

Other than that, remember that maybe they will be just as supportive and accepting as your friends and sister. Positive vibes, you know? 

Hope my point came a across clear and I was of some help! 

Here is a delicious looking cake as a token of my welcome! 

Vaizdo rezultatas pagal užklausÄ âcakeâ

Feel free to send me a massage and chat if you wish! 

I don't know your parents, so it'll be hard to tell how they will react. For my parents, they didn't believe it at first. But when they saw how determined I was to have this identity, they begrudgingly accepted me (though still very wary). If your parents truly love you, they will accept you in the end.

Welcome to AVEN! As everyone else has said, you don’t have to come out to them yet if you don’t want to. It’s your identity, and no one else automatically has the right to hear it. You get to tell who you want, when you want. Tell your parents when you’re confident enough. I don’t know how supporting they are, so if for whatever reason you tell them and don’t get the best reaction, the AVEN community will ben here for you.

Welcome! Don’t push yourself to come out to them, especially if you’re not comfortable with it. If you do want to come out to them then you could scout their reactions to similar topics to see their likely response and plan from there :) 

recipe_elegant-chocolate-cake.jpg?itok=p

I've told a few friends that I'm asexual but have no thoughts of telling my family. It would just create a lot of drama.

Asexual_Goddess
On 3/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, Tamara Porter said:

Hello I just recently came out to my friends and sister as asexual and they have all been supportive and understanding. I haven't told my parents yet as they aren't understanding and I'm afraid they will say that asexuality isn't a real sexuality or that I just haven't found the "right" person yet. I know I should tell them because they are my parents, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet.

You should not have to feel like you need to come out, I waited for a year, and was honestly planning on never telling anyone  before my mom confronted me and asked me if I was asexual. The reason I neglected to tell them was because I was afraid I would change my mind, and have to come out again and that they might not believe me. Coming out should not be as terrifying as it is, and honestly should be considered a regular occurrence. If this was the case, I would have come out much sooner, but for now I guess society will keep hyping it up and making it an unnecessarily big deal that does nothing but intimidate people from being themselves. Anyways, I just went totally off tangent! You can come out when you feel ready, there is no need to rush into something that seems as scary as coming out seems.😁🏳️‍🌈🍰🎂

Archived