I told my mom that I'm aro/ace!

cmerlynjones95

cmerlynjones95

After about a month of feeling awkward as I tried to work up the courage to come out to my mom, I finally did it two days ago. I don't know why I was so worried. She was super supportive and even said she had thought I might have been. I'm very lucky to have her as a support and I feel like I can really be open to the world about my asexuality. I know others have had very different experiences, and they haven't been so lucky. I'm glad we all have the community here on AVEN to help with those difficult experiences. We shouldn't have to hide who we are, and my mom helped me see that. I felt a little silly that I thought she wouldn't support me.

Congrats!

Totally_Neutral

congrats, im happy you felt good about telling her ☺️🎂

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

You had a better experience than I did, and that's great.

Mine (not related but I still call her mom, she's my former legal guardian) said she didn't believe me that I'll never be sexual with someone on any level, nor did she believe that I'll never want children and yesterday I got my tubes removed (thank Lucifer and the Goddess and Gods it all went well.) 

Congrats on your part ^_^ 

cmerlynjones95
5 hours ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

You had a better experience than I did, and that's great.

Mine (not related but I still call her mom, she's my former legal guardian) said she didn't believe me that I'll never be sexual with someone on any level, nor did she believe that I'll never want children and yesterday I got my tubes removed (thank Lucifer and the Goddess and Gods it all went well.) 

Congrats on your part ^_^ 

I'm sorry to hear it didn't go so well for you. Hopefully she'll come around eventually. You have my support and that of many here on AVEN

On 3/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, cmerlynjones95 said:

After about a month of feeling awkward as I tried to work up the courage to come out to my mom, I finally did it two days ago. I don't know why I was so worried. She was super supportive and even said she had thought I might have been. I'm very lucky to have her as a support and I feel like I can really be open to the world about my asexuality. I know others have had very different experiences, and they haven't been so lucky. I'm glad we all have the community here on AVEN to help with those difficult experiences. We shouldn't have to hide who we are, and my mom helped me see that. I felt a little silly that I thought she wouldn't support me.

That is great! Congratulations! :) 

As I say, "You never know unless you try." These things are difficult to get past, but trying it takes courage, and it is great hearing it even if it is not necessarily successful. :) 

For comparison, here is my experience: 

Archived