Lately I’ve been sad...

Guest iwanttolearn

firewallflower

I'm sorry you've been feeling that way, and know the feeling. 😢

Without having more information on the circumstances, it's very difficult for me to know how to provide advice for you. I would start, though, by seeing if you can put a finger on why you've been feeling sad. Sometimes these sorts of emotions just descend out of the blue, as it were—but other times, there's often an identifiable trigger, or at least contributing factors. That could be anything from losing a pet to a stressful home situation to a disappointment to sleep deprivation to something else altogether (or, of course, as is very often the case, some combination thereof).

Unfortunately, emotions don't always respond to logical thinking as well as we'd wish, but just taking that step back to try and figure out what's going on can in and of itself, sometimes, help to lessen the grip the sadness has on you. Plus, in the event that you do identify a specific underlying problem or ten, you can then see if there's something you can do about those underlying problems themselves.

Sorry I can't help more without knowing more, but best wishes with everything, and I hope you feel better soon. 🤗

Custard Cream

I'm good thanks - hope you feel better soon.

In the absence of guidance, here are some bits of random advice, some may be more helpful to you than others.

1 Always make time for your interests, friends and exercise.  They give you the boost you need to get through the rest.

2 When baking a cake, always use the right sized tin.  if you really have to use a different size, you are better going slightly bigger and knocking a bit of the cooking time.

3 When life gets a bit 'samey' challenge yourself to do something you have never done before, however small it may be - visit that tiny museum at the back of the library, or go into that shop that looks a bit intimidating.

4 Never put a sock in a toaster.
5 start a bullet journal to inspire you to get organised and creative at the same time.  Filling in a chart or ticking thigs off a list  is hugely motivating.  There's loads of great ideas for content on Pinterest. Any old notebook will do, you really don't need an expensive fancy one.

6 If you are ever given half a tomato on your plate, always check which half you get.If you get the "arse end" you will have a bad day.  If you get a nice, smooth half you will have a great day. It's totally true (according to my friend, anyway).

7 Never challenge a mango to a fight.

Hope that helps...

I'm assuming you're only sad and not clinically depressed. If it's the latter, nothing anyone says is going to help, you need a professional. If you're just sad, read on.

1) Acceptance .

Most people are sad because their life doesn't align with the life they imagined. 

2) Don't compare yourself with ANYONE. You are good enough. Comparisons only steal your joy. Take a break from social media.

3) Be present in the present. Don't overthink your past, or don't worry about the future. Be in the now.

4)You could also just be stressed out/burnt out, so you could try relaxing and doing some activities that you like.

Hope this helps. Really hope you feel better soon.

41 minutes ago, CustardCream said:

4 Never put a sock in a toaster.

I shall remember that one.

In all seriousness, I agree with the tick-list idea. I find it very helpful when I'm having a "I haven't achieved anything today (or ever)" mood, to remind myself that actually I have!

I always find taking a walk in nature, reading a good book, or taking time to visit friends and family gets me out of a funk. Or maybe you just need to do something to get out of your comfort zone a bit, like CustardCream says. Try something new and exciting or even a little bit scary?

Forest bathing is good as well as exercise. It won't get rid of the feelings but it'll help.

I'm here if you need to talk. Sorry I've been a little busy lately.

Archived