Black Ring for Asexuality- Aces/ace-spectrum people only please.

cosmosredshift7

Black Ring Age + Usage Demographic  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a black/gray ring to symbolize your asexuality, or your location on the ace-spectrum?

• Yes, I am ace/on the ace-spectrum and I wear a black ring
    • Yes, I am on the ace-spectrum and wear a black/gray ring
    • I am ace/ace-spectrum, and do not currently wear a ring but want one
    • I am ace/ace-spectrum and I do not want to wear one
  2. 2. If you do not currently wear a ring, why?

• I do not want to out myself as I am not out to anyone/most people
    • I do not want to be recognized and ostracized for being ace/ace-spectrum
    • I do not think it is necessary for strangers to know my sexuality
    • I want one, but I have not found a ring yet/i am in-between rings due to loss or breakage
    • I do not think anyone would recognize the ring's meaning
    • I don't like/wear jewelry
    • Other: Please explain below
    • I do wear a ring
  3. 3. If you do wear a black/gray ring, why?

• In case I come across another ace/ace-spectrum person that recognizes it
    • To be visible to the entire lgbtqia+ community
    • I had before realizing it is linked with asexuality
    • To make ace-exclusionists Big Mad
    • I like jewelry
    • Other
    • I do not wear a ring
  4. 4. If you don't wear a ring, how old are you?

• Under 15
    • 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 51-55
    • 56-60
    • 61-65
    • 66-70
    • Over 70
    • I do wear a ring
  5. 5. If you do wear a black/gray ring, how old are you?

• Under 15
    • 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36-40
    • 41-45
    • 46-50
    • 51-55
    • 56-60
    • 61-65
    • 66-70
    • Over 70
    • I don't wear a ring
  6. 6. If you don't currently wear a ring, but did in the past, did anyone ever recognize it?

• Yes, and the all responses were positive
    • Yes, and most responses were positive
    • Yes, and responses were evenly positive and negative or neutral
    • Yes, and most responses were negative
    • Yes, and all responses were negative
    • No one ever noticed the ring for what it was
    • I have never worn a ring
    • I currently wear a ring
    • Other: Please describe below
  7. 7. If you currently do wear a ring, has anyone ever recognized it?

• Yes, and the all responses have been positive
    • Yes, and most responses have been positive
    • Yes, and responses have been equally positive and negative, or neutral
    • Yes, and most responses have been negative
    • Yes, and all responses have been negative
    • No one has yet recognized my ring for what it is
    • I have never worn a ring
    • Other: Please explain below

This poll is closed to new votes

quasarshift

I have one but I don't usually wear it because I just don't like the feeling of wearing rings. Still nice to have, though.

Blushing Bunny

Honestly, I kind of want to, but I am scared that people will recognize what it means. I feel like if I tell people I’m asexual, it will over complicate things or make someone try to be cautious around me about sex jokes but I don’t want someone tip toeing around me, which is why I haven’t told people really. I want to wear the ring though so I can feel more connected to the community.

rosegoldace

Currently, I wear both an Ace and Aro ring. I went from not wearing any jewelry at all in 1st year of University, to wearing a black Ace Ring in 2nd year, to wearing a white Aro ring together with my Ace ring in 3rd year. 

I'm a bit concerned at times that the combination of the two rings may throw off an Ace person if they happened to see me with both a black and white ring. Sometimes I feel like it may just come across as a fashion statement. 😂

I don't currently wear a ring but want to in the future, but I just wanted to say I saw someone with an ace ring the other day and it made me really happy. It was just in passing and I didn't say anything, so they have no idea I saw it, but it was so cool to see someone wearing it in the real world in the same town as me, not online. So to all of you who wear ace rings, just know that you could have made someone's day today without even knowing it.

E Wildflower

I said “other” for responses because I haven’t ever gotten any negative reactions per se, but I have gotten weird responses. I have had one or two people express some odd misconceptions about asexuality as part of a conversation that started with the explanation that I wear pride rings, but no one has ever vocally disapproved of my rings or been rude to me about my being asexual.

I have a black spinner ring, which I wear sometimes when I'm going out. It's something I mostly got so that I could fidget with it when I get uncomfortable in loud/crowded/bright places, but I figured it may as well be black and worn on the correct finger if I'm going to be wearing a ring.

I don't wear it terribly often most of the time, though, only when I'm having a not-great day and going out and about in a potentially uncomfortable environment (which on those days is most places). I generally prefer not wearing anything on my fingers or wrists.

I'm 29 years old. Nobody has recognized it.

I don't wear an ace ring, never have. Honestly I don't really want to wear a ring. I hate wearing rings. I always get scared that I won't be able to get the ring off. Rings make me feel so uncomfortable and anxious. My fingers feel so much more free without them. 

Hermit Advocate

Only one person has recognized my ring and she was a grey-ace. 

• 2 weeks later...
KoiFishShoes
On 3/20/2019 at 10:32 PM, Ace of Mind said:

(Guilty secret: Regardless, I still have developed a semi-conscious habit of scanning of the right middle fingers of every human I see)  

I laughed when I saw this! I used to have a coworker who always looked for wedding rings, and I never understood the impulse. I don't think to look for ace rings, but I may someday.

Never worn jewelry, I don't even wear a watch, I was a mechanic and jewelry just got in the way, I only wore a watch then, but when the Italians introduced the ultimate in unreliable Iveco trucks, the amount of watches I lost due to everything being crammed so close together, I eventually stopped wearing any form of jewelry

AmazingGrAce

I wear a ring, and this is for two reasons: 1. it represents me embracing who I am and not being ashamed to say I am ace, and 2. it reminds me that I am not alone and there are others like me; that there is nothing wrong with me. 

qn 6: if u have worn a ring did other people recognize it?

checked: other

description: i have worn a ring but i didnt wear it long enough for people to notice, and then i broke it LOL so the ring didnt have much of a lifetime (3 days or something TT)

i like the idea of a black ring. it's cool and it looks pretty. but i'm not really the type for wearing rings/watches/bracelets/etc. and also most of the store-bought rings are too big for me haha. custom rings need to be ordered which is troublesome bc 1) i don't want to order expensive rings that i'll probably never wear, and 2) there's a risk of my parents catching the package before i can get to it, and i don't want to explain why i'm suddenly taking an interest in jewellery 

• 3 weeks later...
Anonymous Axolotl

I wear a black ring on my right middle finger. (This exact ring if you're looking for one.) I really love it! It's tungsten carbide, so at first, it felt pretty heavy, but now I don't even notice it. No one has asked me what it's meant, except for my mom. Rather, she asked "Why did you get that ring?" and since I haven't come out to her as ace yet, I just shrugged it aside saying that I've wanted a "plain" ring for a long time now, which is true. I really hope to tell her I'm asexual and explain the meaning of the ring at some point, but I'm not quite ready yet. I'm glad I had a "back up" option for the explanation.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:44 AM, Hannah Rae said:

I love my ring. It generally never comes off. The few times I've forgotten it, I've felt weird all day. To me, it not only represents part of me but also represents me respecting that part of myself and not trying to hide it. I do wear it hoping another ace will recognize it, but so far no one has at all. There have been a few people I've met that I actually expected to recognize it; if they noticed it, I'll never know. 

same!! ive only recently started wearing one (partly because ive just started discovering who/what i am and partly because i had only recently found out that the black ring was a thing), but i keep it on most of the time. 

the only time someone has recognised it was when my best friend pointed it out and then told me she had wanted to get me one after i told her about my asexuality (i adore her,,,, she's such a good friend aaaah)

Fluffy Femme Guy

I wear the black ring and I even take it a step farther by wearing an ace-colored pony-bead bracelet on my right wrist.

No one has recognized it yet as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

No one's commented, but I just got it yesterday lol. I hope to find other aces by wearing it. 

I don't like rings and even if I wanted one, I don't like rings on middle finger (yeah, odd, I know). In my country you can buy beautiful hand-made wooden rings, so I was considering having one (maybe black, with some coloful stones) as a wedding ring. It is very far from ace ring, I know, but people won't recognize it anyway.

I don't have any ace-themed stuff now, but things like ace-colored pins or bracelets are more appealing to me.

Fluffy Femme Guy
2 hours ago, Flying Cat said:

things like ace-colored pins or bracelets are more appealing to me. 

I made some ace-color necklaces and bracelets for myself, using beads and some stretch cord.

qHSouo9.jpg

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I do wear a black hair tie as an ace ring. It's mainly because I like the idea of it and it makes me feel connected to the community. It would be cool too if other people recognized it, but no one has yet.

I own a ring, but I seem to have misplaced it.  Hopefully, it'll turn up.

I wear it to see if anyone recognizes it, but also... it feels better. A connection to community or at least something to share with people, even if they don't know.

And a little bit of secret rebellion no one notices. I guess it is better and more subtle than a logo on clothing.

I would like a ring, but I'm not out to anyone and I don't usually wear jewelry. 

DarkStormyKnight

What's interesting is I don't wear rings/don't think others will recognize it, but that doesn't stop me from suspecting that anyone with a black ring is ace. I did actually realize that an acquaintance was ace this way, so maybe the idea is gaining traction.

DuranDuranfan
On 7/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

I made some ace-color necklaces and bracelets for myself, using beads and some stretch cord.

qHSouo9.jpg

I’ve done something similar using crystal beads. They’re arranged like the stripes on the Ace flag. But if a grey ring option exists that’s cool too. I wonder if hematite would work. It’s kinda greyish.

Fluffy Femme Guy
5 hours ago, DuranDuranfan said:

I’ve done something similar using crystal beads. They’re arranged like the stripes on the Ace flag. But if a grey ring option exists that’s cool too. I wonder if hematite would work. It’s kinda greyish.

Got any pictures? That sounds really neat!

DuranDuranfan
10 minutes ago, Fluffy Femme Guy said:

Got any pictures? That sounds really neat!

I can take one but I can’t seem to direct upload the picture onto here from my phone.

Hopeful_Dreamer

I inherited a ring (from my grandmother) with an onyx stone. The band is gold, but I still like to associate it with my asexuality. I didn't know much about wearing a black ring to represent being ace before, but it adds a little more meaning to the ring whenever I wear it now. 

AngelofMusic997

I just started wearing one. (I have a plastic one now, but a spinner/"anxiety" is in the mail ^-^) 

I personally wear it as a reminder to myself that this is who I am and it's not a bad thing, as there are other like me out there in the world. 

Fluffy Femme Guy
On 8/4/2019 at 10:53 PM, DuranDuranfan said:

I can take one but I can’t seem to direct upload the picture onto here from my phone.

Imgur is free and easy.

fooledbysecrecy
On 8/2/2019 at 2:49 AM, Zagadka said:

I wear it to see if anyone recognizes it, but also... it feels better. A connection to community or at least something to share with people, even if they don't know.

And a little bit of secret rebellion no one notices. I guess it is better and more subtle than a logo on clothing.

this!^ i also sometimes wear a bracelet with ace colours. no one's noticed or at least no one's commented.

but then again if i see random people wearing a black ring in their middle finger i'm not going to ask them about it, as much as i'd love to. just try to hold my hand up higher in case they notice haha. like hey we're possibly in the same team!

Archived