I think I want a platonic relationship but I don't really understand how it would work

alien.hedgehog

alien.hedgehog

I'm kinda new here and I have a lot of questions, but this one in particular just keeps bothering me. How do platonic relationships work? I always liked the idea of being close to someone but just the feeling of having a romantic relationship makes my stomach turn(as a side note I'm sex neutral and romance repulsed). When I first heard about QPR's it was like I found the most perfect thing in the world for me. A way to have that feeling of closeness without the annoying sexual and romantic parts. I always make fantezies about how it would be to have something like this, but(as a geek who reads lots of manga) a lot of my fantezies are mixed with different tropes that I found while reading(in none of the things that I read I found platonic relationships so those are just"best friends" tropes and romance tropes mixed). For a time this wasn't a problem until I started to ask myself how is really a relationship like this(not just small fantezies of mine)? Is like having a best friend but closer? Is like having a lover but without sex or romance? I know that every relationship is different for everyone, but I just really want to know how it would really be. 

Also I would like to make small stories to post online that have QPR's at their center but I have no idea how to write something like this.

So I want to ask the folks here who are/were in this kind of realtionships:How it is your own experience with it? What did you like or dislike about it?

I really think that if I know how it was for other people I could figure it out if this is what I actually want or if it is just another thing that I want to convince myself of, and I really want to write those stories:)))))

Galactic Turtle

Technically, all of your relationships that are not romantic are by default platonic. So you probably have more experience than you think you do. :P 

But you're talking about having a dedicated exclusive relationship with someone, right? As with all dedicated exclusive relationships, you need to find someone who is compatible with you and who  reciprocates a desire to also be in an exclusive relationship with you. Easier said than done but finding someone who is compatible is harder if you don't know what you want in the first place.

What about romantic relationships do you not like? What are you looking for in a partner? What are your boundaries? Figure out that and you're more likely to identify others who are compatible with you. What you label that relationship doesn't really matter past that. The end result is the same in that you are a dedicated exclusive relationship with another human.... or not, if you're poly in which case it's a fence with a gate instead of just a fence. 

Archived