1. 1. Left handed or right handed?

• Left handed
    • right handed
    • ambidextrous
  2. 2. Watch orientation

• Left
    • Right
    • Depends
  3. 3. Is your watch orientation the same as your dominant hand?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

This poll is closed to new votes

Squirrel Combat

I no longer wear wrist watches. I went native to using my phone.

Kaleidostorm

I'm like you @MollyDMA. I write with my right hand, so for handedness I'm dominant on the right, but I wear my watch on my right wrist. People point it out to me, too. Several times someone will see it and tell me they're a leftie too.

I'm also cross-dominant, however; I ride kick scooters and I always ride goofy (right foot in front/on the deck, kick with left foot).

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I've always worn mine on my left wrist although I use my right hand more. I am beginning to use my left hand more though to get it used to doing things just in case my break my right arm.

Captain Jay

I generally keep my watch on my right arm, which I also use for most other things. I usually just take it off when I have to write or what-have-you. I guess I could change it with practice, though.

While we're on the subject, would it be considered "old-school" to wear a wristwatch, or are they still too common for that?

everywhere and nowhere
5 hours ago, blunose2772 said:

I've had people say it's weird that I wear a watch at all when you can check your phone. It's way faster to glance at your wrist than dig your phone out of your pocket

That, and I'm a mobile weirdo. My mobile model is almost 20 years old, the time display is not as big as on smartphones, sometimes - at least when, for example, going to the store, I don't even take my mobile... And I do need to check the time in those situations, for example at the bus stop. And I don't even carry my mobile in my pocket - I'm kinda afraid I could lose it, I rather put it in my bag. Similarly, I never carry money in my pocket.

I don't like smartphones because everyone uses them and I want to stand out, and because I have thick fingers and find it really hard to type on these tiny touchscreen keyboards. How do people touch only one letter at once?

Btw, I have a lot of problems with watch belt. I want it to be colourful because I don't want to wear monochromatic stuff, and also another problem: it's really hard to find a non-leather watch belt, and I just don't want to use anything made of dead animals. :(

Right handed and watch on the right!

If anyone ever tells you that's weird: The only reason why people used to wear it on the non-dominant hand was to make it way easier to wind your watch.

I don't know about you, but mine doesn't need winding ;)

So no significant convenience difference any more - wear it on whichever wrist you want! :)

Divide By Zero

This reminds of a children's book character called Bananas Gorilla who has a thing for watches. He has numerous watches and wears a couple of them on each arm.

latest?cb=20130105144714

Right handed, wear watch on right hand. Idk that's just what feels "right"

I don't usually wear a watch, but when I do it's on my right hand, as a right-handed person 

Neutral Charge

Wow, so manny ppl wear it on the right! I feel like home 😁 i also wear it on my right hand, just feels better 😅

Right hand for both

when I wear them, i wear them on the left hand. i'm right handed so no

As the  only right handed person in my immediate family I find this a weird question.i wouldn’t consider myself as ambidextrous however I am I guess you would say proficient in using my left hand. I honestly feel like wearing any jewelry is a hindering experience and would prefer a pocket watch or a necklace 

MerePeasant

Right-handed and wear watch on left wrist. Was told to put it on that way and wearing it on the right feels weird.

Yes, having phones might be a watch substitute for some, but if you have your phone in your bag or pocket, it is surely quicker to shift your hand around a bit to look at the time. I know I've found it a pain at times fishing in my bag for my phone to check the time. Also, if you're at work and you can't have a phone on you/it doesn't fit in pockets, then... hello, watch.

• 1 month later...

Right handed, watch in left wrist. I got accustomated because there was a time I would use a bracelet in my right wrist, before that time I don't remember if I used it in my left or right wrist, though.

I have never worn a watch, too much risk of damage or injury for a gymnast. Putting it on and off all the time - no.

I don't wear a watch, since I don't like anything interfering with my hands.  I just pull out my phone like a pocket watch to check the time.

I'm right-handed, and the wrist I wear my watch on depends on whichever hand happens to pick it up first. Sometimes I take off my watch temporarily and put it back on and it just so happens that it's changed wrists in the meantime.

I stopped wearing a watch many years ago due to breaking them at work, but used to wear one on my left wrist when I wore one

I'm right-handed and wear my watch on my right. :P People always think it's odd...but...it's just what I'm used to!

I'm left-handed and used to wear a watch on the left. I haven't worn one in almost 20 years, since the strap broke on my last watch. I kept it in my pocket for a short time but soon enough I dropped and smashed it.

I suppose a watch on one's dominant arm could get in the way when performing delicate work. I do have a professional-grade anti-static grounding strap with a stainless steel expansion bracelet that I wear on my right arm so it's out of the way most of the time. It's one of those mag-snap units, so if I step away from the bench I can just disconnect it instead of having to take it off.

Left handed but I wear my watch on the left side because as a kid that's how my parents and everyone else wore theirs. Had no idea it had to do with hand dominance and now I'm used to it so it works just fine.

Last year I was given an Apple watch to test, I received it and forgot to wear it for ages, in my job, there's clocks all around me, I, like someone else who posted on here earlier only use a Nokia 6310i which dates back to around 1996, I'm a bit of a technophobe anyway, I never touched a computer until I was in my 40's, still to this day, there's not much I can do on a computer even now

• 10 months later...

@MollyDMA

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived