Hysterectomy Challenges

Bri is Me

Hey Guys!

I'm working on an argumentative paper for an English class, and the topic I've chosen somewhat was influenced by my presence in the Asexual community.  It's a paper on why doctors should not be allowed to make "executive decisions" over women's bodies.  While I have a few commonly occurring examples such as botched double mastectomies (https://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/a22984204/breast-cancer-survivors-mastectomy-sexism/) and the entire abortion debate, I'm struggling to find information on women struggling to get hysterectomies.  I know from reading online in the past that it's a challenge for women to get hysterectomies, and I know many Asexual people have discussed this in the past, but I'm really having a tough time finding information on the particular topic of getting hysterectomies.  Because it's not an uncommon topic on this site, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of any news articles or personal accounts in blogs or other forums that might help me with my paper.  

Any stories or information regarding being denied because a woman has no children, having to visit multiple doctors before finding someone willing, or facing any other obstacles would be helpful!

Thanks!

EngineeRaven

I can't give you articles, but I can give you a bunch of stories.

In my country (Hungary), there are very strict rules concerning anything that could count as sterilization. Vasectomy or Oophorectomy is only allowed if the individual is over the age of 40 and/or has at least three children.

As for hysterectomy, as far as I know it's only allowed for health reasons, and if the patient has no children, they recommend trying other kind of treatments first (like the removal of fibroids). Hysterectomy for non-health reasons is not allowed.

By a survey led by the European Charter of Patient's Rights in 2010 (yes, it was a long time ago, but believe me, things only got worse here since then) the contents of the informed consent form for hysterectomy was rated "weak" (along with several routine procedures like C-sections, appendectomy and hip prosthesis surgery). [Source in Hungarian]

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

With the new laws in the US it'll be even harder... I'm glad I can go in this Thursday and get it done with no excuse to "but what if you want...." no...I'll never be sexual or date but if anything where to happen against my will at least I'll never have children. 

You'd be surprised at how many women are denied rights over their own body, if they're in a relationship (Thank the Gods I'm not and never will) some doctors want to go to the boyfriend and ask if it's ok to cut or tie the tubes.

I think it’s more about liability.  If it’s unnecessary, the risk outweighs the alternative. Finding a doctor willing to take that risk is likely a bigger issue than them unwilling to do it as a denial of rights....

Why have a hysterectomy if unnecessary?  As an ace, is it to avoid exams?  You’d still need annual testing. What am I missing?

13 hours ago, Traveler40 said:

Why have a hysterectomy if unnecessary?  As an ace, is it to avoid exams?  You’d still need annual testing. What am I missing?

Some Aces see no point in dealing with monthly periods and all of the fun things that come with them if they don't ever intend to put them to use (have children).  Sometimes periods are a trigger for dysphoria.  Some people would just be a lot more comfortable being truly unable to reproduce as they don't have a connection to those parts of the body.  That's pretty much all it is.

@Zash Thank you so much!  I've seen this before but I completely forgot about it!

16 hours ago, Traveler40 said:

I think it’s more about liability.  If it’s unnecessary, the risk outweighs the alternative. Finding a doctor willing to take that risk is likely a bigger issue than them unwilling to do it as a denial of rights....

I've never gotten an annual test and never intend to (and do intend to get a hysterectomy in the future), but which parts exactly do they test? Because say I'm getting a total hysterectomy and removing the uterus and the cervix (and maybe fallopian tubes if possible), is there testing still required on... I guess all that's left is the ovaries?? Just a question out of pure curiosity.

15 hours ago, Jinkx said:

is there testing still required on... I guess all that's left is the ovaries?? Just a question out of pure curiosity.

I had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago and still have an annual exam as yes, I still have my ovaries.  My hysterectomy was due to endometrial cancer caught almost immediately. (2 rounds of IVF likely the culprit, radical bleeding was the symptom, cut it out and moved on with life.). Perhaps they simply want to follow me, but my understanding is it’s the standard of care. 

Separately, I’m a huge believer in annuals of all kinds.  It’s the simplest and fastest way to discover most issues early which generally gives the best outcomes.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:58 AM, Traveler40 said:

I know many girls who would jump at the chance to do it because their periods have gotten in the ways of many things from competitions to daily school life because the pain was to much. They want relationships but they want to focus on what they want first and have no interest in having kid to ruin that. 

SorryNotSorry

If you lurk on any number of childfree groups, you eventually learn there's a widespread "gentlemen's agreement" in the medical community to not perform hysts (or prostatectomies, if you're male) unless it's to treat a life-threatening condition. Many such doctors also tell their patients—and apparently believe—that later on they'll absolutely, positively regret not having kids. Believe it or not, someone has actually studied the kidlessness-regret thing, and found that only an average of 1 in 8 people who don't have kids end up regretting their decision. In other words, doctors don't have a crystal ball.

But I think the reason why some rogue doctor hasn't set up a practice of performing elective hysterectomies and prostatectomies is because that doctor would be giving people what they want, and that goes against the aforementioned gentlemen's agreement. Other doctors would find a way to close down that rogue doctor's practice, regardless of how spotless a record of safety and patient satisfaction that doctor manages to rack up. So there you have it.

Mezzo Forte

It's not a woman's perspective, but I've had my own challenges with the hysterectomy as a trans man. In some ways, I felt more pressured to get the hysto because it's seen as a step toward other gender confirmation surgeries. (I was 24 when I had my hysto.) My doctor directly recommended a surgeon who had experience with trans patients, which definitely helped the process, but going to a gynecology office alone is a bit intimidating, and while everyone gendered me correctly in speech, the staff consistently misgendered me on the paperwork, even after several requests for them to fix it, as my insurance had already listed me as male by that point. My hospital band that I wore on surgery day listed me as female >>

The surgeon listed my reason for the hysto as "excessive menstruation," so it wasn't treated as a gender confirmation surgery. However, insurance was a goddamn nightmare. They Initially rejected coverage because there was "no pre-clearance" despite the fact that it wasn't required for this procedure. Then they rejected it saying that "we don't cover hysterectomies in men" which is even worse (and flat-out false) bullshit. Then they said that the surgeon needed to change the justification from "excessive menstruation" to "excessive bleeding," stating that "Men don't menstruate." >> It was only after months of fighting (while still weak from surgery) that the insurance company actually covered the cost of my procedure.

user23974865

I've seen this discussed several times (including that TED talk), but it seems to me like the problem is usually framed the wrong way. Even if there's sexism involved, I don't think it's the main issue.

Some five years ago, I asked a doctor about a vasectomy, he said my insurance wouldn't cover it. I said I'd pay it myself, he said he wouldn't do it anyway, and added that I was free to go see other doctors about it but that he seriously doubted anyone would be willing to do the procedure, because "I don't have children yet" and "I'm too young to know" and "what if I change my mind". I explained my situation and how and why and how confident I was (and had long been -- and still am) that I didn't want to have children ever, how it would seriously ruin my life (and my children's) if I ever had any, and how a married man with children is even statistically more likely than me to change his mind and try to reverse the procedure after getting married a second time. And even if I ever actually did change my mind, I could adopt instead anyway, especially since I think the world has too many people already. I would gladly sign a detailed legal waiver if that was the case. He said "come back in twenty years or after you've had two children, I just won't do it unless you can conclusively prove that you have a genetic defect that would cause malformations in your children". He clearly wasn't even listening to what I was saying, and would never listen.

I googled it and apparently this is common around the world. It's not just with women.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2016. One of the best decisions of my life, honestly.

I also have endometriosis. While I know a hysto isn't a cure for endo, it has improved my life by leaps and bounds. I got super lucky with my most recent doctor, and it was actually his suggestion before I could even ask. Previously, I'd encountered doctors who said, in so many varied words, that nobody would try to help me with my menstrual issues because I didn't have any children yet--despite telling them I didn't want any. Those doctors are lucky that I was kind of in shock, or they'd have gotten slapped.

I haven't written on a blog or anything of the sort, but I'd be happy to answer questions or otherwise relay my experiences.

Thank you all so so so much for your responses.  Because my paper covers a variety of topics, the links some of you provided should be plenty for me to get my point across and I am so excited to see my final draft because this discussion is an important one to me.

Unrelated to my paper, I plan on getting a hysterectomy one day, too, and I don't plan on having children so hearing some of your experiences with sterilization are helpful because I know just how hard it will be, so thank you to those who shared your own stories, too.

Archived