If you date, you're a brand

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

One thing some people don't seem to realize when they get into dating is that they become their own BRAND. Sounds a bit dehumanizing to be sure, but whether you're shopping for something or selecting someone to love, you no doubt care about what some brands offer you and some don't. Putting your profile online for dating purposes is really not much different from advertising your product on TV, in the sense that some people will want what your brand has to offer them, while others will not.

So that's why Marlon Brand-o is such a hot catch :P:P

Sweet Potato

this is the reason that a person looking to date is "on the market" and one not looking is "off the market"

Anthracite_Impreza

Same with jobs, fucks me right off.

i mean... i never thought about it that way but i suppose you’re right

SorryNotSorry
On March 18, 2019 at 6:13 PM, catra said:

i mean... i never thought about it that way but i suppose you’re right

Like I say, it's kind of dehumanizing, but it is what it is, despite my puny wishes that it was otherwise.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:10 PM, Woodworker1968 said:

One thing some people don't seem to realize when they get into dating is that they become their own BRAND. Sounds a bit dehumanizing to be sure, but whether you're shopping for something or selecting someone to love, you no doubt care about what some brands offer you and some don't. Putting your profile online for dating purposes is really not much different from advertising your product on TV, in the sense that some people will want what your brand has to offer them, while others will not.

I always compare online dating to a rummage table. People on there advertise themselves like a leftover loaf of bread from yesterday, 50% off, now will you please fill that vacant spot next to me? Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats people's boats...

SorryNotSorry
4 hours ago, Homer said:

I always compare online dating to a rummage table. People on there advertise themselves like a leftover loaf of bread from yesterday, 50% off, now will you please fill that vacant spot next to me? Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats people's boats...

Heh... kind of reminds me of the time I bought a $300 gearbox for $30 from an industrial liquidation store. Lesson learned: if you see it and you like it, you better get it, because you might never see it again.

Alawyn-Aebt

Isn't everyone a brand all the time, not just dating?

Be they conforming to a brand or making their own up, we all tailor how we act, look, and think around different people. If you are at a job interview you are presenting a brand to them. If you are talking with your friends you are presenting a different brand. Although can be seen as dehumanizing, and dating (all theoretically, as I my brand is quite odd for people to want to date me, and that's even after I somehow wanted to date them) does suffer from excessive brand-ism and focusing on immediate appearances in contrast to more in-depth looks at people (although the sheer number of eligible people means one much economize), its use in dating is no different than elsewhere in the social realm.

Custard Cream

But you could say that about anything where you create a profile. By creating a username and avatar here you are creating your own brand, whether or not you realise it. We are our own PR agencies these days. 

Archived