Asexual Characters - Masterthread

Does anyone know any aromantic/and or asexual characters from books, tv shows, or other forms of entertainment. I always find myself excited when I think a character might aromantic or asexual but it almost always doesn't turn out to be the case and the writers throw in some random love interest, but anyways does anyone know any? Or does anyone know any characters they think may be on the spectrum?

Edited by Creampuff
  • Like 2

Yes!  Here are two I've found: 

Jack O'Malley from Widdershins (webcomic)

Jack O'Malley is canonically aro/ace, with author confirmation.  It's confirmed within the comic too.  

Storm from Survivors (book series)

My profile pic, haha.  One of the books explicitly states that she'd "never understand what made dogs want to be mates."  I love how it specifies "never", confirming that this is an asexuality thing and not just an age thing (she's a full-grown dog anyway) or because she hasn't met "the one."  

• Like 1

Zeph from the visual novel The Elementalists (on the Pixelberry Choices app) is aro-ace.

• Like 3
Tothedreamers
3 minutes ago, TheAP said:

Zeph from the visual novel The Elementalists (on the Pixelberry Choices app) is aro-ace.

I was so excited when I got to that part!  I also like that they gave you an option to not seek out relationships in the opening chapter... 

• Like 3
Tothedreamers

Also, on the freeform tv show Shadowhunters, their is a character named Raphael who implies his asexuality. He is still in a romantic relationship, but during one scene he says something like “I’m just not interested in sex... I’ve always been like this.”  And I believe the writers confirmed he is ace.

however, in the book series the show is based off of, I don’t think anything is implied with that character.

• Like 2
BlueHairedHippo

Luffy from the anime/manga One Piece is most likely aro/ace. His friends are most important to him and doesn’t have any love interests. Even when the most beautiful woman who everyone falls in love with explicitly tells him that she loves him he just ignores that and continues to treat her as a friend. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
HonoraryJedi

Will always recommend The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. One of my favourite books. Try it out.

Quicksilver by RJ Anderson (it's the second in the series but you don't have to read the first one)

Let's Talk about Love by Claire Kann

How to be a Normal Person by TJ Klune

• Like 1
On 3/17/2019 at 6:34 AM, Yara Kai said:

The main female character is asexual and I liked the book very much so I was wondering if you knew other books that have an asexual character?

And if not, do you have any book characters that you really liked?

While I didn't enjoy Every Heart is a Doorway (I'm not much of a Seanan McGuire fan either), there are a lot of books I have read and enjoyed:

Blank Spaces by Cass Lennox - ace male/gay male pairing around an art thift mystery. I didn't enjoy the second book quite as much, though it might be more up your ally: Finding Your Feet is about a m/f romance which takes place around a dance competition (but features a trope I dislike intensely: The Big Misunderstanding due to Lack of Communication).

Not Dead Yet by Jenn Burke - a kinda sorta ghost story in which the MC, Wes, is mostly dead and can use a ghost's ability to get in and out of people's houses and re-appropriate items he's hired to, er, re-appropriate. In the course of one such job, he sees a murder happen and the lead investigator turns out to be an old boyfriend whose got some new surprises of his own. (M/M) Wes is demisexual.

Arthur and Martin's relationship is so quiet and sweet and perfect, I highly recommend His Quiet Agent & Merlin in the Library by Ana Maria Soto.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AceyMacey said:

Quicksilver by RJ Anderson (it's the second in the series but you don't have to read the first one)

Let's Talk about Love by Claire Kann

How to be a Normal Person by TJ Klune

I've heard about How to be a normal person and I really want to read it😊. The others sound great too.

42 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

While I didn't enjoy Every Heart is a Doorway (I'm not much of a Seanan McGuire fan either), there are a lot of books I have read and enjoyed:

Blank Spaces by Cass Lennox - ace male/gay male pairing around an art thift mystery. I didn't enjoy the second book quite as much, though it might be more up your ally: Finding Your Feet is about a m/f romance which takes place around a dance competition (but features a trope I dislike intensely: The Big Misunderstanding due to Lack of Communication).

Not Dead Yet by Jenn Burke - a kinda sorta ghost story in which the MC, Wes, is mostly dead and can use a ghost's ability to get in and out of people's houses and re-appropriate items he's hired to, er, re-appropriate. In the course of one such job, he sees a murder happen and the lead investigator turns out to be an old boyfriend whose got some new surprises of his own. (M/M) Wes is demisexual.

Arthur and Martin's relationship is so quiet and sweet and perfect, I highly recommend His Quiet Agent & Merlin in the Library by Ana Maria Soto.

Thanks a lot for recommending these books😊. I think I'd really like Blank spaces and Not dead yet. Actually, all the books look very interesting.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
AmIAroKatie

I'm almost 100% certain that Sheldon from Big Bang Theory is Demiromantic Asexual.   I've been binging that show over the last couple weeks.

2 hours ago, AmIAroKatie said:

I'm almost 100% certain that Sheldon from Big Bang Theory is Demiromantic Asexual.   I've been binging that show over the last couple weeks.

You might want to binge a bit further :D

• Like 1
coughsyrup

Victor Vale from the Villians series by V. E. Schwab was confirmed as ace in her newest book Vengeful! I definitely recommend this series, and Victor is such a great anti-hero.

• Like 1
AmIAroKatie
9 hours ago, Homer said:

You might want to binge a bit further :D

I have, I watched the whole show.    I still believe he is asexual.

Spoiler below, so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled

Spoiler

Yes, I know he has sex with Amy, but some asexuals can and do have sex with their romantic partners and can enjoy it.   The fact that Sheldon seems like he's having sex mostly for Amy's benefit, and would probably be ok living his life never having sex shows me he is probably asexual.  Amy on the other hand I would say is demisexual.  

reference below:

https://www.bustle.com/p/asexual-people-can-have-sex-lives-heres-what-theyre-like-2436642 

Being asexual does not automatically mean you are sex repulsed and never have sex. 

Spoiler

Edited by AmIAroKatie
AnnIsAroAce

I've heard that the book 'Baker Thief' (cant remember the author sorry) has really good representation of an aromantic character, though I haven't read it yet. Also, Todd from the tv show Bojack Horseman is asexual.

• 1 month later...

Guys! I'm trying to find books with asexual characters and it's proving to be a chore. I'm quite picky when it comes to books and I don't read YA so that has severely narrowed my search. 

Before I Let Go is the only novel that has peaked my interest so far. 

For the love of all that's living, there's got to be more out there!

I'd love to check out any and all recommendations you may have. Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

I think there are plenty of books without sexual content. Classic novels like Pride and Prejudice for instance. Sure the characters get married etc, but you dunno what happens in their bedroom and for all you know they could be asexual characters. Its not that hard to pretend they are asexuals.

Have you checked Goodreads? There are several lists with books that feature Asexual (and Aromantic protagonists). I do agree that most books are aimed at the YA market, however, a lot of the books aimed at adults tend to fall into the romance, on some level, bracket and that does kind of limit finding books with ace protagonists, if you're not into romance, that is.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/61456.Asexuals_In_Fiction_

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/79393.Queer_Romance_with_an_Asexual_MC

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/105434.Aro_and_Ace_Spectrum_Characters_in_SFF

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/95185.Ace_is_the_Place_Fiction

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/120113.Aromantic_Characters_in_SFF

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/116320.Books_With_Asexual_Main_Characters

There is a lot of overlap between the lists, but I hope these are somewhat helpful in your quest!

• Like 1

Not books, but podcasts- Chloe from the Bright Sessions and Talfryn from the Penumbra Podcast/The Second Citadel are asexual. I believe Chloe is panromantic and Talfryn is aromantic, but I might be mistaken.

• Like 1

Not into YA fiction myself but thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend Let’s talk about love by Claire Kann despite being aimed at YA 😊

21 hours ago, Iam9man 🐧 said:

Not into YA fiction myself but thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend Let’s talk about love by Claire Kann despite being aimed at YA 😊

Yeah, I've heard a lot about that book. Maybe I should give it a go.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mythos1 said:

Yeah, I've heard a lot about that book. Maybe I should give it a go.

It has extremely accurate descriptions of the confusing feelings asexuals can experience, which was enlightening. And the story is well written too. Enjoy!

• Like 1

One of the main characters in V.E. Schwab’s “Vicious” & “Vengeful” is said by the author to be canonically asexual. 

“I’m asexual” isn’t literally flat out said in either of the books, but his lack of sexual attraction was brought up in passing in a chapter while he was making his way through a strip club lol.

The series would definitely be on my top list of favorites even if he weren’t a confirmed ace. The story and world are just really fun.