G0D

Is AVEN learning?

G0D
50 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

If I've had any lengthy interactions from other members, I notice when I haven't seen them comment on the forums in a while.
That includes you.
So rest assured that at least one person notices.

Awww vats show schweet !!! I'd post love hearts, but someone would report me for something I am sure...

LeChat
5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Yes, I'm with you on that @burobu... I'd just like to find a space for aces to support each other, rather than one that's rolling over backwards to have its tummy tickled by allos.

I believe I now understand what both of you are talking about, and I understand the frustration of when sometimes, some sexuals seem to write negative, unflattering generalizations about all asexuals, even though asexuals aren't all the same, don't have the same beliefs, are from different generations, etc.

So, sometimes, what I attempt to do is try to help educate others with links from psychologists, research studies, etc. I figure that, if the links don't help some sexuals understand, then, perhaps they might help other asexuals.

• Like 3

G0D
1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

Oh, I tried the science approach @InquisitivePhilosopher....that earnt me 2 weeks suspension...

hahahahaa... Don't fight the awesome power of the AVEN ToS and it's ability to make any situation worse. 

user23974865

In light of several things I've been observing, I think it's worth summarizing and highlighting what I understand as the main point to be taken from this thread for further discussion:

"To be more fair and effective, rules and moderation should primarily aim to prevent conflict and escalation rather than resolve it."

• Like 2

Sally
On 3/14/2019 at 9:53 AM, G0D said:

Iv'e moderated a site with a lot of room for offence, and where people have wildly different ideas, and are very passionate about what they express themselves, and in the 3 years I have been doing that we only banned 2 people. 

You only banned 2 people because it's a site "with a lot of room for offence."   AVEN isn't.  Duh.   I like AVEN the way it is, and I'm not saying that as someone who's never been nudged or warned, and I'm certainly not sexual.   

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think AVEN has left too much room for offence and it's being walked over.

G0D
8 hours ago, Sally said:

You only banned 2 people because it's a site "with a lot of room for offence."   AVEN isn't.  Duh.   I like AVEN the way it is, and I'm not saying that as someone who's never been nudged or warned, and I'm certainly not sexual.   

That's not exactly true. There is more room for offence for sure, but the way people deal with each other is way less combative than here, and it really is heavily focused on discussing ideas, rather than debating people. We also encourage, and invite people who have different opinions, and who can argue their points well. Sure some times people get cross with each other, but to be honest is very very rare because there just isn't anything to gain from provocation. I'd really welcome you over there. I am sure you have some great points, and I would like to see you present your ideas in an environment where there is nothing to gain by getting personal. 

Sage Raven Domino

I guess one of the reasons for ASM's peacefulness is the community reputation point system - members can easily boycott someone with a highly negative reputation. The reason why it hasn't been rolled out on AVEN is more likely ideological than technical. I don't complain because forums without member reputations are where I tend to thrive :P

user23974865
1 hour ago, Sage Raven Domino said:

I guess one of the reasons for ASM's peacefulness is the community reputation point system - members can easily boycott someone with a highly negative reputation. The reason why it hasn't been rolled out on AVEN is more likely ideological than technical. I don't complain because forums without member reputations are where I tend to thrive :P

I don't know how ASM's user reputation system works, but I guess this kind of thing depends a lot on how a "community" is formed and evolves, and on the expectations that the users already have. I can see it working as a self-moderation mechanism, but I can just as easily see it as a popularity-contest mechanism. Entropy tends toward the latter. Just like all "market-like" things, it may be simple and functional in some small-scale situations, but in larger scales I think the way how it's actively (or passively) framed and applied makes a lot more difference. A runaway effect is to be expected if it's applied as a self-regulating solution.

• Like 1

CBC

Every time I see this thread title, I think of this:

(Sorry lol, I had to.) 

• Like 5

Just Dani

@CBC I honestly can't blame you for doing that... 😂

• Like 4