has asexuality influenced my gender identity?

fins

hi!! i haven’t really been on here in a while (and still feel kind of weird about posting) but i’m also not quite sure where else to talk about this. 

i’ve recently started identifying as non-binary, because i’m starting to recognize what i think is dysphoria. however, i’m never really sure if i’m actually experiencing dysphoria or just discomfort with the way female physical traits are sexualized. and because of that i don’t really know if i’m actually non-binary or if it’s just another manifestation of being ace. i feel most comfortable with a binder on, but i also don’t really reject most traditionally “feminine” things (like dresses and make-up, etc). anyways, yeah that’s been troubling me for a while. has anyone else experienced something similar?

Yes, that has been the same for me. Personally, I think it's best, even if it is dysphoria, to pursue various options to mitigate this aside from transition, because transition is not the magic cure that it is promoted as being, and it disguises other issues one may have (such as a disgust toward being sexualized).

I started questioning my gender after accepting being grey asexual. Recently I came to the  conclusion that I am probably non-binary and I am quite sure I am experience gender dysphoria which is connected to being grey asexual. Also I feel most comfortable presenting more femme than traditionally considered appropriate for people assigned male. But my dysphoria is more connected to being expected to act "male" in interpersonal relationships and it gets stronger the more intimate the situation is.

I feel like my asexuality definitely impacts on how I feel about my gender identity. I’ve had eating and body issues for a really long time, and the main thing I can identify throughout that time is the desire or need to be completely genderless and androgynous. I want my body to be completely asexual, to match how I feel. I find it quite distressing to have gendered physical characteristics, and even having a body is often upsetting. I’ve gained a lot of weight over time, which makes my gendered and physical characteristics more pronounced, and that really upsets me. I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore and I hope I don’t sound weird - this topic just really hits something in me. I know I have a lot to work through. 

Anyway, sorry for rambling. 

Hello all, I think there could definitely be a link between asexuality, and the repulsion of certain body parts that sometimes go with it, and physical dysphoria. One does not invalidate the other. I think I'm in the triple A pack - ace, aro and agender - or at least I certainly want to be; and I hate all primary and secondary sexual characteristics, including mine. I cried the day I realised my puberty was starting. To think that I may have had hormone blockers if I dared to ask my parents... I've been binding since the day wide t-shirts were becoming ineffective and if I can get surgery, I will. The thing is, with my binder, I'm OK most of the time and I don't really mind my body, so I have thought that I'm not REALLY dysphoric and that I just didn't want to grow up and everything that goes with it, most of all a sexualised body. Well, if you think about it, that counts as dysphoria, right? I think it's perfectly logical to identify as nonbinary because you're repulsed by the way your body is sexualised. 

Archived