Jump to content
Sage Raven Domino

Idea: 'hotboxing fights' ('get a room') for reconciliation

Recommended Posts

Sage Raven Domino

The motivation is to reduce thread derailment in the educational forums.

 

When there's a pair of members who argue with each other strongly and don't wish to put each other on ignore, their confrontation sometimes spans several threads and, I guess, becomes harder for the admods to monitor.

 

In such cases, I think it makes sense for an admod to PM the advice to the said members to create a dedicated thread in Hot Box where they could argue about anything to their hearts' contents, possibly with lighter moderation, which other members (except the HoBo co-mods) obviously don't have to read. Posts from the other forums could also be merged into that thread if they've clearly derailed the threads where they were originally made.

 

What do you think about this idea?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBC

Hahahahaha.

 

Oh god. I don't know what to say.

 

Can I suggest some pairings? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ben8884

I mean. I think as an idea it certainly has merit and I could see how it would cut down on thread derailment. The only trouble I can see as well as-as you pointed out it would be difficult to monitor is that these threads would still be subject to the ToS and I think it would be too easy to spiral out of control if the argument is based on personality. If there is a thread on say however Brexit, and it sprials out into other topics what we can do is link to another perhaps more appropriate thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daveb

As Hot Box co-mod, nope. :P 

 

But seriously, if people can't behave I don't want to give them a place where they can misbehave. I'm not sure that would really solve anything. And sometimes it's not mutual; sometimes people don't want to be harassed. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sage Raven Domino
6 minutes ago, daveb said:

And sometimes it's not mutual; sometimes people don't want to be harassed. 

That's covered by clauses 'j' and 'k' of the ToS :)

 

I don't like to file reports, though, and tend to leave it up to the affected members to exercise that right. I hope a lot of conflicts can be resolved amicably without official disciplinary actions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
41 minutes ago, daveb said:

As Hot Box co-mod, nope. :P 

 

But seriously, if people can't behave I don't want to give them a place where they can misbehave. I'm not sure that would really solve anything. And sometimes it's not mutual; sometimes people don't want to be harassed. 

I certainly don't like being harassed. It's getting to the point where I can barely post anything innocuous without it being waved around and made into something worthy of ridicule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeChat

It sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm not sure whether it'd work. For example, wouldn't it be possible for a mod to misinterpret a discussion between people as being an argument, when the members involved didn't see it as having an argument? Then, if the discussion is singled out and put into a separate thread, isn't it possible that other members might see that and also misinterpret the discussion as being an argument?

 

What if one member is just trying to have a discussion, but another member in the conversation is viewing it as an argument? Then, wouldn't all members be mistakenly and unfairly assumed to have been having an argument or being a part of an argument? Wouldn't the whole thing be based on others' interpretation of a conversation, whether others judge it to be an argument or not?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

There are patterns though. The usual suspects with the same MO. Usually a baiting followed by a pincer movement to encircle the victim.

The consolation for ANY victim though is that they are just unhappy people with little self awareness and loads of life problems, so I say to any victim of this stuff... You're enough! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OptimisticPessimist
38 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

I certainly don't like being harassed. It's getting to the point where I can barely post anything innocuous without it being waved around and made into something worthy of ridicule.

I’m sorry that’s happening. You can PM me or any of the mods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sage Raven Domino
23 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

It sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm not sure whether it'd work. For example, wouldn't it be possible for a mod to misinterpret a discussion between people as being an argument, when the members involved didn't see it as having an argument? Then, if the discussion is singled out and put into a separate thread, isn't it possible that other members might see that and also misinterpret the discussion as being an argument?

 

What if one member is just trying to have a discussion, but another member in the conversation is viewing it as an argument? Then, wouldn't all members be mistakenly and unfairly assumed to have been having an argument or being a part of an argument? Wouldn't the whole thing be based on others' interpretation of a conversation, whether others judge it to be an argument or not?

These are very good points. That's why mutual consent would be required for the creation of a fight thread. The normal reporting procedure would still be the default course of action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm at the point where I check who's online before I make a post, but I don't let them away with it if they post right after me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Telecaster68
45 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

I certainly don't like being harassed. It's getting to the point where I can barely post anything innocuous without it being waved around and made into something worthy of ridicule.

If it quacks like a duck....

 

Can't we just cut to the chase and insist that any thread which at any point looks like it might become amusing and not entirely about pedantry over a subjective experience nobody on the thread has had or wants to have, the amusing posters just get told to take it to PM?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

..and here we are. So, I'll have to move on now. Can't post here till it's safe again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBC

I knew there was a reason I hit 'follow' on this thread. I rarely do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Telecaster68
3 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

..and here we are. So, I'll have to move on now. Can't post here till it's safe again.

You started it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skycaptain

And I'm locking it

 

It's patently obvious that this thread is doomed from the off. Skycaptain moderator PPS

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...