Ghif or jiff

user23974865

Are you right or are you wrong?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "GIF"?

• "ghif"
    • "jiff"

This poll is closed to new votes

listen, the creator has said it’s pronounced jiff, so i will defend that pronunciation with my life

user23974865
28 minutes ago, catra said:

listen, the creator has said it’s pronounced jiff, so i will defend that pronunciation with my life

I'm clicking "like" for the bravery.

user23974865
4 minutes ago, Winter Spirit ❅ said:

I pronounce it "Gee-Eye-Eff" :P

It didn't occur to me to add that option, but it looks like it might be rivaling "jiff" in popularity.

Captain Jay

I'd always assumed it was "jif", like "jiffy". Don't know why. Maybe because I thought it was more natural.

To me it makes more sense to pronounce if with a hard g, like gift without the t (in both English and German); after all the g stand for graphics, which is pronounced with a hard g. Nobody says "jraphics". :P (unless they are talking about tall colorful creatures?)

• 2 weeks later...

...Have I been pronouncing it wrong the entire time? I STILL THINK IT’S JIFF (Also because jiff is a peanut butter brand and peanut butter is awesome, just like gifs)

firewallflower

If I have to pronounce it, I'm on Team Jiff, but when reading something I typically mentally pronounce each letter (G-I-F), and I generally try to avoid needing to say it all just because nothing feels quite right. :P

Knight of Cydonia
On 3/17/2019 at 7:08 PM, catra said:

Pretty sure this is the correct answer, and for that reason!

The way I understand it, there aren't any specific rules for how to pronounce words with the "gi" beginning in English. Some are hard (gift, give...) and others are soft (giraffe, gin...). Rather, it depends on the history of the word, since modern English is a mix of different dialects. So, for the case of a new word without any such history, the pronunciation depends on the word's creator. In this case, the soft g wins.

It's like if some parents named their kid Gillian, with a hard g. Even though most people would read that with a soft g like "Jillian", the parent's intention was a hard g so that should be the one respected and followed.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, MollyDMA said:

the g stands for graphic, so it's ghif

On 3/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, daveb said:

To me it makes more sense to pronounce if with a hard g, like gift without the t (in both English and German); after all the g stand for graphics, which is pronounced with a hard g. Nobody says "jraphics".

Acronyms don't necessarily take on the pronunciation of their original words. For instance, the P in JPEG is not pronounced with a Ph sound even though P stands for Photographic. The A in LASER isn't pronounced like the A in Amplitude. The A in NATO isn't pronounced like the A in Atlantic. Instead, they are treated as their own word.

MerePeasant

Ghiff!

I have never thought of it as jiff. As others have mentioned, Jif is the old name for Cif cleaning product. :D 

On 4/2/2019 at 3:44 AM, Knight of Cydonia said:

Pretty sure this is the correct answer, and for that reason!

The way I understand it, there aren't any specific rules for how to pronounce words with the "gi" beginning in English. Some are hard (gift, give...) and others are soft (giraffe, gin...). Rather, it depends on the history of the word, since modern English is a mix of different dialects. So, for the case of a new word without any such history, the pronunciation depends on the word's creator. In this case, the soft g wins.

It's like if some parents named their kid Gillian, with a hard g. Even though most people would read that with a soft g like "Jillian", the parent's intention was a hard g so that should be the one respected and followed.

Acronyms don't necessarily take on the pronunciation of their original words. For instance, the P in JPEG is not pronounced with a Ph sound even though P stands for Photographic. The A in LASER isn't pronounced like the A in Amplitude. The A in NATO isn't pronounced like the A in Atlantic. Instead, they are treated as their own word.

wow, this is much better explanation than what i’ve could've provided 

thanks for contributing!

• 1 month later...
CelesteAdAstra

I'm very passionate about it being GHIF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived