Can I become aromantic?

Gam

The thing is, when I was younger, 4 years ago, I was in a romantic relationship that I genuinly wanted and enjoyed, but since 3 years ago, after that ended, I haven't felt anything like that, in the slightest, so I wanted to know if you're aro since birth or you can become one at some point.

Edit:thank you so much to all the people that replied, this is something that has been bothering for weeks, and is much clearer now.

I just think that you haven't found someone you want to spend you time with. There are people that will go years with out falling in love then find someone that they truly love. If you are concerned about what you are, don't worry too much about it. There is a grey area when it comes to asexuality and aromanticism. Don't feel rushed to put a label on it or to fall in love. Every one differs when it comes to such stuff. 

Biblioromantic

I think your romantic orientation can change, but it's still pretty enduring, just like your sexual orientation.

When I was a teenager, I wanted a boyfriend so bad. I had romantic crushes all the time. I spent a ton of time and energy in pursuit of boys and dating. And then I had a boyfriend, and he was a manipulative bastard to the point where I would call it abuse. I got out of the relationship, and I tried dating other people for a few years, but it always came back to being vulnerable to that kind of manipulation, and I just couldn't let myself do that again. And there was the sex thing. Dating leads to sex, and I knew I didn't want to do that or at least wasn't as drawn to do it as everyone around me. Eventually I gave up.

Do I *want* a romantic relationship? I guess in some ways, yes, but it's not nearly as important as it used to be. It's no longer a life goal for me to find that person and get married or whatever. If I found someone who perfectly matched my personality and was also asexual, I'd probably be willing to try. A secret corner of my heart longs to have someone love me that way, but it's not the majority of my heart. I don't pursue romantic relationships anymore. I don't date. I don't seek out romantic partners. I don't have romantic crushes. I live my life as an aromantic, and whenever someone asks how I identify at an ace meetup, I generally say I'm asexual and 90% aromantic.

E Wildflower

Simply put: Yes, your romantic orientation can change. It's not particularly common, but it does happen. It's also possible that you will experience romantic attraction again in the future, but I would argue that the possibility of your feelings changing in the future doesn't make how you feel right now any less valid. That said, I think if you feel comfortable identifying as aromantic, you should feel free to use that label, however, if you don't like that term, you don't have to use it.

Archived