Iowa State Daily — #AskMeAmes: "Is there an asexual population on Campus? If so, what have their experiences been like?”

Homer

We asked you: “What do you want to know about sexuality and identity?”

In response, you asked us: “Is there an asexual population on Campus? If so, what have their experiences been like?”

“Yes, there’s definitely an asexual population on campus," said Trinity Dearborn, vice president of Pride Alliance and Asexual Aromantic Alliance. "I see them in my daily life, they live on my floor.” 

Mar 7, 2019 - http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/askmeames-asexual-community-experience-lgbtqia/article_4b764fd0-410b-11e9-ae50-6b659c901a0f.html

Biblioromantic

While I'm glad we're getting a little visibility via the article, the focus on our "other"-ness isn't very flattering. Not at all. I also have a problem with the mention of corrective rape. Like, "hey, you're introducing this extremely marginalized group to the masses at your university, and the only thing you want to talk about is how we're weird and we get raped in order to "fix" us? You couldn't think of anything else to say? How about that we're not actually that different from anybody else? How about drawing to our strengths? How about focusing on commonalities with allosexuals? How about focusing on research or facts about the asexual population in general?" If this is what passes for journalism at that university, I'm appalled, frankly. Ugh. 😡

I thought the article was respectful. The question was about asexual-specific experiences on campus, which is necessarily going to have an element of 'otherness', but I never got the impression that the author was painting asexuals as weird. Corrective rape was mentioned in the context of an incident that happened to one of the interviewees but was by no means the focus of the article, which acknowledged that the experiences of asexuals at ISU was generally positive.

Archived