Men’s Fashion Question - Semi/Social Formal

Rein

So I dressed up a tad yesterday because meeting with directors at work. 

Is it just me or or does it seem like the options for men are lacking? To me it feels like it’s pick pant color, pick shirt color, and pick a tie (if a tie). 

Accessorizing is like: Do I add a watch? What tie knot to use? Do I need a tie clip?

Am I just living under a rock and missing stuff? One pant looks like another and this shirt isn’t much more unique over that one. I feel so limited in nice clothes, not that I dress up much. I guess I could do a kilt but they’d probably have some dress code discussion and fire me. lol I’m not Scottish and I’m in the US. 

I don't think you are missing much. The choices are pretty limited. Just look at stuff like pictures of groups of politicians - the only colors besides black, gray and darker blues will be in men's ties (usually limited to reds, blues and maybe a few other colors; and usually limited to regular ties, not bow ties or others). You will see a lot more variety among the women politicians. 

Slice of Ace

Yeah, it's really annoying because women get tonnes of options in comparison! I can't think of any formal wear other than a suit or shirt + tie (which is essentially just a suit without a jacket)

We're limited, but you can still have some fun with it - depending on exactly how formal and/or old-fashioned the setting/people.

Shoes, for example. My "thing" (when dressing "formally") is that I will only wear double monk straps; I think they have a lot more personality, they make more of a statement, etc. If I ever feel like really making a statement, I'll wear them in burgundy instead of just black.

Where possible I also avoid white/light shirts; I go for dark burgundy/green*/grey/black, etc.

It might also help that I have long hair; it's perhaps easier for the eye to accept that I'm not really the clean-cut, old-fashioned type - and conversely, I'd probably always fall short if I looked like I was trying too hard to dress 'properly'.

* It took me 2 fucking years to find a shirt in the green I wanted. I've been holding on to that for so long and just had to get it off my chest.

Celyn: The Lutening

SUIT, SUIT, SUIT, SUIT

Could look to other eras esp. Victorian or Regency and have a suit cut to a different style. Though again that could lead to an interestng dress code discussion (that you'd probably win depending on your workplace) and would be rather expensive.

In Perth we used to have a shop (Into Camelot?) that sold period clothes for a reasonable (i.e. still hefty) price. But it shut down and I was terribly upset.

The number of times I've 'scrubbed up nicely' for an interview or an upper-management visit... and out-dressed everyone. 

Sometimes I wonder why I bother, especially if (in the first instance) they don't give me the job! 

But yes, unless you start getting outlandish, the modern man has less options than his female opposite. 

And some of Trump's cronies, such as Roger Stone, have messed up much chance for guys in the US at least to be more creative in how they dress for semi-social/formal occasions.

Damn, I was really hoping I was living under a rock. 

The period dress might work depending how outlandish it is by todays standards. If it’s just some extra frills they might just pretend to not notice unless someone higher says something. I’ve joked before about wearing a kilt. My uppers looked like they rather tried not to even acknowledge I said anything. lol

I’ve dabbled at cosplay so I’m pretty open to the point where I’d wear a literal dress. Deadpool with a maid skirt or if my niece asked me to be a Disney princes with her, I’d tell her yes as long as I get to keep my beard. lol (remembers the makeup scene in beauty and the beast.)

So anyhow appreciate the feedback. I’m going to have to look up adventurous clothing designers and see what crazy inventions have seen the runway. I feel like they could change the status quo if they tried. 

Did you see the male actor who wore a tuxedo gown at the Oscars? He had a beard and presented as male. The upper part was pretty much just like a men's tuxedo, but spread out into a full gown below that. I thought it was pretty cool (might not go over in the corporate world though). :) 

I don’t watch them but I just looked it up. That’s really cool. Maybe if I ever get married I’ll do that instead of a kilt like I keep saying. 

Slice of Ace

I've always been interested in what a 'guy dress' would be like. I really like victorian and gothic style dresses, and I wonder how something like that would look if designed for a guy.

If we're talking suits, then yes--we are limited. Way more than a woman.

If you're walking with a woman, the idea is she's supposed to be the show stopper.

I mean, if its formal, your options are even more limited. Otherwise, you could get a custom suit color, dress shirt and really stand out.

I've done business with tailors overseas, to whom suit fabric and color is limitless. If they know what they're doing, they can make a gorgeous suit. I know one, who has done many celebrity's suits, and his work stands out if this is what you're looking for. I.E A custom pastel pink suit, dress shirt, belt, shoes, etc. This allows you to play with fabric, look, belt design, shoe design, etc. All this, for less than a suit would cost pre-made in store in say, Canada/US.

I mean, in a suit its deciding what watch color to wear. Black, silver, etc. Other wrist, would be bracelet (for me). My lava stone bead one, my wooden bead ones with Japanese/Chinese engravings on them, light brown, dark brown, etc?

I've found a couple great companies while traveling, that do fully custom bracelets. I.E Allowing me to be rebellious, and have skull and crossbones jewel on my bracelet, while nobody is none the wiser. Crazy amount of bracelet options. I hate rings, so that's my other go to.

I tend to play around with textures on the dress shirt and tie. I also even on formal events, tend to be playful on tie designs. I hate boring solid colors.

Other than that, you're limited to your cuff links jewellery. I love being very playful with those, if its formal.

Guys can only make subtle enhancements. I.E Black dress socks, with Looney Tunes at the top, to show style in a very rigid style of dress.

You mention something that doesn’t make sense. Why is she supposed to be the show stopper? And what if she doesn’t want to be one?

Not that it ever looks like I’ll have a lady by my side anytime soon. I’m curious why the cosmic energy of the universe decided this... for everyone.

I like the chance to look nice and I’d like a tad more comfort while doing it. 

41 minutes ago, Rein said:

Why is she supposed to be the show stopper?

Look at a wedding. She's the show stopper. 

Some women can just dress down and let the man shine. However, she needs to dress down to do so. You look at formal outfits, and they are essentially designed to have her shine. 

Weddings. Look at the rings. She shines. Men tend to have things that are more functional, than pretty. 

Look at manly vehicles. Big knobs. Boxy. No cute shit here. Functional. Tough. Its that macho mentality, where one fears vulnerability because they feel its feminine. 

With my personality, I always let the women I dated be the show stoppers, and I took a step back from the light. 

But have dated women who hate the attention. One of my friends will wear sweat pants and an ugly sweater all day if she could. Social pressures force her to feel inadequate unless she is sexy. Undesirable unless men are sleeping with her.

Mind you were friends because she's a rebel too, and will proudly rock that ugly sweater and sweat pants with no fucks given about how you feel about it. 

I was just eluding to the social norms. Not how I personally feel about it.

Honestly I’ve always been more drawn to a woman that is more of the rebel based on your description. I don’t know a good way to say it but bluntly if a woman dressed as a show stopper on a dating profile I’m more likely decline it under ‘too high maintenance’. Though if she looked like she was about to go plow 100 acre field I’m more inclined to try introducing myself. 

I want somone to be themself and do it with pride not conform to some mold others say they should be. 

Some days the crap we all do for ‘social conformity’ is annoying, isn’t it? We all do it to some degree. 

I’m not out to be a show stopper myself but I just want more ways to express individuality beyond picking colors only. 

I’m having fun with the mental image of the Oscar tux with a lady’s wedding dress for a wedding. 

Tux Gown

Edit: I just figured out I have to click like twice to actually like a post. 

Slice of Ace

Oh my goodness, I kind of want one of those. I'm too cowardly to wear it in public, but damn, that's cool!

Make the suit out of brightly patterned fabrics (again, pesky dress codes might get in your way).

My family are planning a Hong Kong get together (because half are in Aus and half UK) in a year or two and I'm definitely getting a suit tailored out of something flamboyant, like purple with flowers, when I'm there.

10 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Make the suit out of brightly patterned fabrics (again, pesky dress codes might get in your way).

My family are planning a Hong Kong get together (because half are in Aus and half UK) in a year or two and I'm definitely getting a suit tailored out of something flamboyant, like purple with flowers, when I'm there.

Nice! That sounds like it would look really good. Reminds me of Japanese kimono patterns.  

1 hour ago, Rein said:

Nice! That sounds like it would look really good. Reminds me of Japanese kimono patterns. 

That's exactly what it is. The tailors just have walls filled with all sorts of fabrics and you can get them to make a suit out of any fabric you choose. Or a kimono or cheongsam, for that matter.

Nice I’ve always wanted to at least try on a Kimono if not buy one. They look really comfortable. 

And a suit like that that would be something to see. :) I’m off to try googling photos. 

I don't know - to me that's very much enough options already :D

lol :) I know it’s enough for many @Homer

I guess it’s just part of my personality to want just a bit more, to stand out. :D Which I’ll admit is probably really odd coming introverted lil me. lol

Too bad some of the rock band fashions from my heyday didn't become mainstream for venues like the business world. :) 

I want more choices without them making me the center of attention.

1) Amen to that, @daveb! They were rocking some awesome looks.

2) Go ahead and be the centre of attention, that's how fashions change. 

Asterion Orestes
On 3/6/2019 at 11:15 AM, Rein said:

I guess I could do a kilt but they’d probably have some dress code discussion and fire me. lol I’m not Scottish and I’m in the US. 

I'm in the US too, am slightly Scottish, & started wearing a kilt on occasion 22 years ago (before I joined a pipe band). Personally I wouldn't take a position that required me to dress up but didn't allow kilts--not even in the White House. But that's not currently a problem...

On 3/9/2019 at 7:35 PM, Asterion Orestes said:

I'm in the US too, am slightly Scottish, & started wearing a kilt on occasion 22 years ago (before I joined a pipe band). Personally I wouldn't take a position that required me to dress up but didn't allow kilts--not even in the White House. But that's not currently a problem...

99% of work is office casual, I choose to dress a bit nicer for a meeting with management 2 steps above my team lead. My current team lead is kind of weird about what she sees as women’s garment even if she would never wear something other than pants. Anytime she’s around when I comment on the topic she doesn’t seem to see a kilt as anything but a skirt. Anyhow....

What sort of occasions do you get the kilt out for?

I’ve been eyeing a US kilt makers German heritage tartan because my known family line comes from there. (The DNA tests suggest it goes back to Scandinavia and originates out of Africa somewhere.) My hesitation on buying one for non-work events is that I want to be sure of my measurements as they’re not cheap. 

Asterion Orestes

Nowadays I occasionally think of wearing my kilt in honor of some date (like St Patrick's Day this year), then decide not to! I'm out of practice with my pipes, too--kinda lazy!

BTW the tartan representing me here is something I found called "Joker," designed for Jack Nicholson's Batman character's costume.

I agree that kilts are a great way to make a fashion statement.  And they come in a wide variety from very casual things you'd wear out camping to extremely fancy garments that you might wear to meet the Pope.  I love mine and relish any opportunity to wear it.

Speaking of kilts,  I thought you folks might be interested in this.  I just saw Verillas has added an Ace Kilt to their Pride line of kilts.  You might want to check it out.

Nice. They have a great product line (but they also gender some products that look like they should be unisex). 

Anyhow with their hybrid and utilikilts I find I’m not sure if the should be worn at the hip (belt line) like jeans or at waist like a kilt. 

I think you can select the length to allow you to wear them as you wish.  So if you wanted the belt line version, you would purchase the "Short 19 inch" version as opposed to the full length 23 inch that would sit at the waist line like a traditional kilt.  I'm not 100% sure on that though.  You might consider contacting them first if you are planning on buying one.

Archived