Do you consider kissing sensual or sexual?

manicmanner

Fluffy Femme Guy

Sensual

7 hours ago, Bloc said:

This is where it gets fuzzy. I had what I would call fully clothed sex, orgasms included. My partner said it was not sex but heavy making out. And some/many doctors have terribly cis- and heteronormative ideas of sex.

While I agree that most doctors have no idea how to handle LGBT+ issues, especially when it comes to sex, I would still disagree with kissing being considered a sexual act.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be offensive when I say this, because you know, it's difficult to judge tone online.  But I personally can't see how anyone can have sex fully clothed with no skin-on-skin genital or posterior contact.  

Orgasms certainly don't define sex, because you can have those by yourself, and that isn't sex it's masturbation of course.  Some people can also have an orgasm when no one at all is touching them, and that definitely isn't sex.  A person can touch another person's foot with their hand and cause an orgasm, and that's clearly not sex.  I mean, tons of people dry hump, grind, kiss, and grope each other fully clothed on the dance floor in the night club and I'm positive everyone would say that isn't sex either.

I have to agree with your partner there.  There's a distinct line between sensual and sexual acts.

It can be either, depending on the person. For me, just kissing is sensual and sometimes romantic. Full blown make out session seems sexual to me and is too much for me. But like gentle kissing sounds nice, and not sexual. 

well, i’m sex-averse, so my opinion might be a little biased, but i think most kissing is sexual because i associate it with the steps leading up to se. it can be sensual in some cases, though.

Since kissing involves two people, there has to be some agreement between those two people as to whether kissing is sensual and things can stop with kissing, or kissing leads to sex.  If one partner thinks the latter and the other wants to stop with kissing, neither is going to be happy.    

I think it can be either, but to me it’s sensual.

I once kissed a girl I had a huge crush on and it was one of the most sensual (and romantic) experience I ever had.
To me it's on the sensual side of things.

chairdesklamp

I only figured things out the other day, but it sure has shed light on why I don't like making out. All this stuff varies for everyone, and I honestly don't know how I'd categorise it, but to me it's always felt like you're both trying to turn your faces into container vacuum business ends and "I can't breathe," and "why do we have to do this?" 

I've only ever been with four people, all allo, and they're always horrified I don't like the face-vacuum. 

NO MERE MORTAL CAN RESIST

THE FACE-VACUUM

I dunno. I don't know how I'd rate kissing, but anything over a chaste peck is just a giant 'nope' for me.

For the younger set, a container vacuum. They used to all be like this before the uprights took over: Gasko89_Revelation-500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the person and the type of kisses. I even personally find fullblown making out to be romantic, but neck kisses feel sexual to me. I think it depends on whether it's arousing or not haha 😅

Dreamsexual

a_subtle_reality

Sensual or sexual depends more on the person doing it and what they're experiencing, than the specific details (e.g. kind of kissing, mouth vs neck etc.), I think. The variation between cultures is a notable factor there too - it doesn't seem inherent as a behaviour. If you want to take a slightly unusual view, I suspect you could think of it as a common, socially normalised kink.

For me it started out as unappealing, the first few times (this was in my 20s, I hadn't tried earlier). I don't have much in the way of aversions, but without any positive aspect, it was borderline... almost-icky. It was only after experimenting for a while with my first girlfriend that I discovered the sensual side of it, though whether I find it enjoyable still depends on whether it's done in a sensual way.

On the flip side, the sensual side doesn't seem to matter so much for some people who nonetheless enjoy it in a sexual context. In those cases I presume it serves as both a trigger and a partial satisfaction of various urges.

Dreamsexual

A. Sterling

I consider it sexual and am therefore adverse to it.

Archived