What's on your walls?

daveb

Interior walls of your place of residence  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you decorate or put stuff on your walls in your house, room, apartment, etc.?

• No
    • Almost nothing
    • A little
    • Some
    • A lot
    • I practically cover my walls with stuff
  2. 2. If you do put stuff on your walls is it decorative, utilitarian, some of both?

• mostly decorative
    • mostly utilitarian
    • some of both
    • I don't put stuff on my walls
  3. 3. What kinds of things do you put on your walls?

• photos
    • posters (music, movie, and other media or interests)
    • artwork you made
    • artwork other people made
    • calendar
    • lights
    • fabric art
    • maps
    • sports stuff
    • other (feel free to add more info in a post)

This poll is closed to new votes

14 hours ago, Kelly said:

It could or probably should be used as a stage. :)

The room used to be the hayloft of my barn. I converted the barn into living space.

The fact that my barn is connected to my house is not too unusual. It is a New England connected farmhouse, a style affectionately known as "big house, little house, back house, barn."

bhlhbhb.jpg

I had a wonderful stay with @teatree, last year, in Massachusetts, whose lovely house has an attached barn.

Attaching the barn is extremely practical.

1 hour ago, Tja said:

Attaching the barn is extremely practical.

Especially in places that get snow like the bottom pic in that image. :) 

LenaLuthor

I have paintings of steam locomotives in the room I am in now. I would like to get pictures (painting and or photographs) of diesel, gas turbine, and full electric locomotives. I would also like to get pictures of very bad storms. I forgot, I have one boat too.

• 2 weeks later...
The Terrible Travis

Right now the only thing I have on my wall is a picture of Colin Kaepernick. 

CelesteAdAstra

There's no single spot of wall that isn't covered for me - everything's full of posters, art prints, clocks, antiques, venetian masks, fantasy figurines, plastic plants, retro metal signs... you name it. I feel extremely uncomfortable in rooms that are blank and not personalized in a strong way. My room's basically an extension of myself ^^ It's been called "an antique shop" and a "curiosity cabinet" before, and I absolutely love that!

ExquisiteMystery

I've lived too long in places where you can't paint the walls without forfeiting your deposit.  I have a few gifted framed artworks up. Some calendars. A broadsword. A broom. The rest is some variation of wall clings (plastic cutouts that are removeable). I have: a moon and bats wall, a spider wall, a Catwoman and skeleton wall, and a (favorite) trees and ravens wall.

I also put up some seasonal stuff, most years.

Alawyn-Aebt

Map of the world.

Map of the world in German (Thanks German Embassy in DC!).

Magnetic board with the list of all Egyptian Pharaohs and Dynasties; list of all Roman Emperors; a chart showing different Radiation levels and the results of exposure to them; list of all Roman Legions; and the entirety of Hamlet's line starting with "To-be or not to-be" all the way to "Be all my sins remembered".

Copy of architectural drawing of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Picture of five brand-new locomotives on the railway outside my house from 1969. Given to my great-grandmother by the railway superintendent in honor of my great-grandfather who worked for the railway.

I write small messages to my future self

HonoraryJedi

If I had a super beautiful wallpaper I could imagine having bare walls, but empty white or grey ones? That feels extremely un-homely x) Gotta have some art, or bookshelves or fabric or SOMETHING on there.

• 4 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I have bare walls in my house, too.

in my bedroom, there's only a calendar and a clock on one of the walls and that's all.

most of our walls is covered anyway, though. in the living room, two walls are basically covered with my friend's stuff, which is mostly collector editions of PS3/PS4 games. he really has a lot of them 😂 we also have a huge picture standing above the fireplace. also, the windows in our house are quite big, which leaves less of wall to cover :P

J. van Deijck
On 5/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, HonoraryJedi said:

but empty white or grey ones? That feels extremely un-homely

that's exactly how my house looks like :P we are thinking of redoing them, though. just need to buy some paint and find a time.

I cover almost every inch of the walls in my room. Posters, concert fliers, hats hanging on nails, some vinyl (I don't even own a record player)... I got a small poster and couldn't find a place for it, so I put it over another poster. I really hate plain walls. Even when I was a little kid, I cut animals out of construction paper and taped them all over.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m really only responsible for my bedroom. I’ve got a poster from a live show of some podcasts that I went to, my calendar (a Star Wars one every year, my original professional certification certificate (the updates don’t look as nice), a small white board  and a flyball plaque from my dog.  Then I have shelves. I’ve got two shelves of turtle figures and things, my last dog’s shelf of his pictures and things. In my window, his ribbons. The next shelf, is some pictures and other things I just like. After that  next shelf is Star Wars, and then another with other stuff I like and mementos like my Hamilton Playbill. I need to add another shelf for things from my dog now. He’s starting to get some ribbons, so he’s going to need a place. 

• 3 weeks later...
Moonsong2003

I don’t have anything on my walls unless you count what I have hanging up on my doors, cause I have a poster and some awards on my doors, but I do have a lot of my artwork that I’ve been meaning to put on my walls for a while now but I have nothing to hang it up with because I can’t just use tape since the art I want to put up is on canvas.

Most of the walls are covered in revision post-it notes. This is all well and good except for the fact that they keep falling off and end up all over the place. I don’t need most of them now but I haven’t the heart to take them down.  

AceMissBehaving

Not enough! We have a ton of amazing original artwork from people, and I’ve sucked at actually getting it framed and up on the wall 

• 5 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

okay so maybe i will redecorate walls upstairs a bit, we're going to repaint them. my bedroom is in an awful and depressing colour of dark grey which really makes me want to vomit. :mellow: the other room is white. we want to change it in a way that the white room turns blue with green details and the grey room turns green with blue details. then I will think if I want anything more on the walls.

There's white paper on my walls :D

Celyn: The Lutening
On 5/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, Yoruka said:

I write small messages to my future self

I love this. I do it too.

"Enjoy the brownies I made myself" "[Date] You wone pictionary, well done!"

Bought a plaque that says "All you need is dogs" .

frames with photographs, frames with artwork (mine and kids and others) , frames with chalkboard for different messages, frames with mirrors, kalenders, key holder hooks, hooks for fairy lights or other hanging decorations (due to change seasonally), wardrobe hooks/hangers, deep shelf frames that double a deco holders, shelves for things and cds/dvds/books, motivational sayings, TV, a cork message board, hooks for pots and pans, spice shelf, magnetic knife rail, dish drying rack, hanging cabinets, fancy decorative wooden cookie molds, plant hangers, several clocks,  curtain rails...

I think that about sums it up.

My youngest also has posters,  but that's his room.

Yesterday I finally framed and hung a couple of Lord of the Ring maps. Might start putting a few more things like that on my walls over time.

DragonSpirit
On 5/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, Kelly said:

@Tja lives in a beautiful museum. 💕

Here is what is on the walls of one of my favorite rooms of my house:

Hide contents

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

L4.jpg

L5.jpg

L6.jpg

L7.jpg

L8.jpg

L9.jpg

L10.jpg

I want my house to look like this minus the yellow walls and odd carpets.

My walls are mostly bare. I have a little basket hanging by my desk that I put bookmarks in, one Star Wars poster, this thumbtack with a necklace thing I made hanginh on it, and two or three pieces of artwork that I like enough to show people but don't care about enough to put with the rest of my art.

AceMissBehaving

Space where all the artwork I own but need to frame should be 

fooledbysecrecy

i have some posters on my walls, i used to cover absolutely everything in band pictures and posters until a few years ago. but i still have some. very much unframed :D and random things like flyers or setlists i've got at gigs. and some postcards. and piles of postcards i keep buying from museums and places i travel to waiting to go up on the walls some day.

I have a few pieces of my own paintings, a couple prints that I like, photos of family in the main rooms, some statement pieces, and a few art/religious pieces of my ancestry. Otherwise all my shelves, tables, or stands have books. Even in the kitchen.

Currently my walls just have a really neat Minecraft poster and a LEGO Batman poster (i can post pics if y'all are interested). I would like to decorate it more with some of my art and more posters, but keep putting it off/forgetting/getting too lazy.

• 7 months later...

@daveb

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived