What's on your walls?

daveb

Interior walls of your place of residence  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you decorate or put stuff on your walls in your house, room, apartment, etc.?

• No
    • Almost nothing
    • A little
    • Some
    • A lot
    • I practically cover my walls with stuff
  2. 2. If you do put stuff on your walls is it decorative, utilitarian, some of both?

• mostly decorative
    • mostly utilitarian
    • some of both
    • I don't put stuff on my walls
  3. 3. What kinds of things do you put on your walls?

• photos
    • posters (music, movie, and other media or interests)
    • artwork you made
    • artwork other people made
    • calendar
    • lights
    • fabric art
    • maps
    • sports stuff
    • other (feel free to add more info in a post)

This poll is closed to new votes

People seem to think my walls are too bare, so I was interested to see what other people do with regards to decorating their walls.

The only things I have on my walls are a clock, a couple of calendars, a few pictures my sister gave me (2 photos she took on a trip we were on together many years ago and a small watercolor painting she did), and a small flat metal decoration in the shape of the state of Oregon a friend gave me.

Also, do you think walls need to have stuff on them? I mean, does it seem like something is missing or the walls are "naked" or something, if they don't have pictures and stuff on them? Do you think walls can be too cluttered?

Basically, what are your thoughts on interior walls and the decorating thereof? 

I don't put anything on my walls anymore. It's all empty, although I like displaying stuff on shelves.

When I was younger I used to paste price tags(of everything that I bought) on my walls and maybe a couple of posters and pictures people drew for me. 

I don't think walls need anything on them but I also don't mind if there's stuff on them either! I do think a wall can be too cluttered but if it's decorated in a nice way then that's the best.

There can be order to everything!

I'm probably the "people" since I rudely told you to put up a print or two on your naked walls.  :D

I think walls need some indication of personality on them.  That could be prints, original art, or even swords or crayon scrawls.  

Forest Spirit

Personally I need stuff on my bedroom walls, otherwise it feels empty and not like 'home'. Maybe that's due to being very introverted and seeing my room as my safe space, the place where I can fully be myself and decorate it with things I love like posters of my favorite video games (I have 3 big Zelda posters), books, drawings I got as a present from my closest friend and some of my own drawings ecc.

Our kitchen however is still bare but it doesn't bother me much (and it's tiny anyway).

I don't think you HAVE to decorate, just do as much or little as you want. It's your place after all and if you don't feel the need to decorate a lot than don't let people make you feel odd for that!

I prefer to have all space be as neat and purely functional as I can, so my walls are bare. My mum however insists on covering her walls with various artworks, mostly hers and mine. If I were to have anything on my walls, it would be a mural

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

On my living room...a charcoal sketch of a favourite pet dog, some hyperrealism artwork of amazon butterflies, 2 watercolours of meadow flowers.

Kitchen: a framed poster of food groups according to vitamins and minerals and a calendar.

Bedroom 1: a framed photograph from a local Skye artist! Mother and baby Puffin

Bedroom 2: same photographer, aurora borealis over Greshornish on Skye.

I also have various framed photos of family and places on my table nest in the living room.

harpy_crone
48 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Personally I need stuff on my bedroom walls, otherwise it feels empty and not like 'home'. Maybe that's due to being very introverted and seeing my room as my safe space, the place where I can fully be myself and decorate it with things I love like posters of my favorite video games (I have 3 big Zelda posters), books, drawings I got as a present from my closest friend and some of my own drawings ecc.

Our kitchen however is still bare but it doesn't bother me much (and it's tiny anyway).

I don't think you HAVE to decorate, just do as much or little as you want. It's your place after all and if you don't feel the need to decorate a lot than don't let people make you feel odd for that!

This. When I move, I immediately organize large furniture and hang art. Like, in the first 24 hours. Then it already feels homey.

Member131995

I have a calendar and some posters on my living room. In my bedroom I have my baseball caps on the wall and these sticker thingies, one says Work Hard, Play Hard and the other is on the wall above my head where my bed is and it says, Be You tiful. :)

:) I don't have anything on my walls, in my room. I like having some free space, after growing up, surrounded by relatives who'd buy a lot of stuff, yet who'd complain and feel stressed out by having a lot of stuff, having to pack everything when moving, etc.

ElasticPlanet

Very much a modernist here. Plain walls with a fairly small amount of abstract art hanging up - most of which I make myself on the computer. The only way to get everything shown is to change it round from time to time.

In fact it's always really bothered me that people use the word 'decorating' to mean changing the inside appearance of their home. What I usually find myself doing is un-decorating - removing the excessive retro crap left behind by the last idiot. And yes - my own parents once got themselves into that 'idiot' category! 😵

1_1 SnailXD

I didn't really have much on my walls when I was younger.... not until I noticed that my room lacked the celebrity posters that all my friends had plastered around their rooms and I made a collage of celeb photos just so I seemed more 'normal'. When I first moved out of home I decorated with canvas quote art and my own little art projects (I was trying to seem mature). Now I have plenty of open wall space and just a few large collage frames with art, photos and quotes hanging in a couple of key areas. They all have really personal relevance and I put them up to remind me of the good times and show what I am capable of.

But that is just my preference now. I never had a problem with my blank walls as a kid, I had plenty of things on my shelves to draw the eye. 

I live in a dorm room, and things like that are against rules. Only thing on my walls is ink splatter, because my ink bottle exploded

My room is covered in a few pop culture posters. I want to get more. Am planning to ask for more on my Birthday! (July - a few months away yet but I am bad at thinking of wish list ideas so I'm starting SUPER early.)

It is definitely possible for them to be too cluttered and I find that is overwhelming with my attention span issues especially. I love having art displayed on walls, though, so some is necessary. It can make a room feel more pleasant.

Bedroom- Anime posters, a long mirror, some drawings I did, and a clock.

Bathroom- Paintings, two were done by me and one was done by my mom.

Dining room- A map of the US and a map of the world.

Kitchen- Decorative wall stickers, a calendar, a whiteboard, a thermometer, and a cute picture that I printed. 

Livingroom- Photos, a couple of nature posters, lights, a couple of paintings I did, and a clock.

10 hours ago, Sally said:

people

:P 

9 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

otherwise it feels empty and not like 'home'.

That's what bookcases full of books do for me. :) 

9 hours ago, Ret. said:

I prefer to have all space be as neat and purely functional as I can, so my walls are bare. My mum however insists on covering her walls with various artworks, mostly hers and mine. If I were to have anything on my walls, it would be a mural

I also like to not have much on my walls. My mom is the opposite, with all sorts of stuff plastered all over her bedroom walls. Yes, a mural or trompe l'oeil painting would be more to my liking. :) 

6 hours ago, Nuit_38 said:

I live in a dorm room, and things like that are against rules. Only thing on my walls is ink splatter, because my ink bottle exploded

:lol:

Would you put stuff up if you could?

6 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

There's a structured layer of white goop smacked onto my walls by the previous owner. :P 

Don't let skycaptain see that. :o

If I were wealthy, I'd have a house built that had a long hallway in which to hang art, as well as many rooms to do the same.  As I produce stuff in my small apartment, I have nowhere to hang it, so have to keep switching out, and that makes me feel as the stuff that's been taken down has been rejected.  

one of my walls (behind my tv's) has a Gray wood pattern on it.

In my living room I have a sword (I use it to open letters).

and in my sleeping room I have a poster of airguns (I got it with my airgun)

I'm in search for better room decoration, but it's almost impossible to find something in my style (witch even I cant really explain)

Grumpy Alien

I like art, maps, and photos on my walls.

Celyn: The Lutening

If I like something, I want to hang it on my wall - not the other way round (The wall is bare, better put something on it!)

They're all in Australia at the moment, but I had two prints of scenes from Lord of the Rings (Minas Tirith and The Watcher at the Gate), a sketch of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet sitting on a farm gate, a silk weaving thing of Hans Anderson surrounded by his fairytales, and an Airbending Scroll from ATLA.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:26 AM, harpy_crone said:

This. When I move, I immediately organize large furniture and hang art. Like, in the first 24 hours. Then it already feels homey.

That makes sense. I'm sure it'd work for me too ... in theory. I don't have the means to organise large furniture for the new flat right now. But I'm starting to put up calendars and postcards and maybe some other pictures; art prints or something.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, daveb said:

Would you put stuff up if you could?

My walls would probably look the same. I only like hanging art my friends made, but I don't need any decoration to make me feel at home

✿ Camelia ✿

Ooooh.. I like this.

On my part whoever looks at my walls could get to know me better than with hours-long conversations. Flags, roadmaps, musical posters, astronomy posters, art, fabric art, funny-looking clocks, even junk stuff that somehow bears meaning to me. And shelves of books of course! And that's just my room and one wall in the kitchen since I share a ranted apartment and that's about all the space I can use xD

The only thing I have is one map of the world. 

Partly this is because my house is dry-lined, basically plasterboard, so I can't hang picture frames on it

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

The only thing I have is one map of the world. 

Partly this is because my house is dry-lined, basically plasterboard, so I can't hang picture frames on it

Not even with poster tack (the usually blue, gummy stuff)?

Most of what I have is framed prints of art of various kinds. I have some original art sitting in the corner of my closet because it went better with my previous residence, but I don't want to get rid of it. The art in my bedroom has a dog theme, while my dining area has urban/skyline themes. I have much much more empty wall space than my parents, who have been collecting art for decades. Their themes are generally quite different from mine as well.

I selected "other" as well, because I consider collections of things on the tops of bookcases to basically be "wall art" since the wall is still its backdrop. I have a shrine to queer piracy on one bookcase, and another with a display of 14 cameras plus other photography items, including a print of a cute cartoon camera.

It's important for my space to reflect my values, after all. :D

Elftober Country

I don't have as much artwork on my walls as I would like, I keep meaning to get more. 

I have four pearl jam guitar prints by Karl Haglund dotted around my house, and there are loads more I want to get. I also have some framed movie posters (Halloween & Jaws).

I have lots of music posters that I haven't put up yet.  The one that I do have hanging is a limited edition Flaming Lips poster that I got probably over 15 years ago from a gig at Rock City. 

I have a very weird print of a colourful cat painting that my brother bought me; I'm not sure what he was on when we ordered me that 🙄In my bedroom I have two of my guitars hung on my walls (Fender Mustang and a Jackson DK2M). My favourite to play and look at.

With regards to photographs, I only have one of my Dad; I should put up some more. 

I also have an alarming collection of skulls :ph34r:

I've been in my house for around four years, but I don't feel like I've put much effort into making it a home :( 

Pictures (that I've taken) or paintings (by others) of places I've been. A couple of certificates, but pretty much mostly travel related stuff. But not very much of it at all. Lots of nice clean looking empty spaces.

Oh, but there are a few mirrors, too. I like how they make the room feel just a little larger.

I have a mixture of paintings i got while on holiday spray paint pictures forest and water based, a large Canadian flag on my stair well. Some film/tv posters Charlie Chaplin, Rocky Horror, Star Trek and others.  Then some wolf photos and prints. I don't really have any photos up.  

Archived