Asperger's Syndrome

In response to what Miss Bubbles said, Asperger's was just something I was curious about at the time I started this thread. I've talked to a number of Aspies, and I saw similiarities in our behavior and personalities. I was not self-diagnosing, I was just considering possibilities. I do not consider myself an Aspie, nor do have I pursued a diagnosis. I simply saw striking similarities between myself and the "typical" traits of Asperger's Syndrome, and I took note of it and made it a discussion.

By the way, is that a Aphonopelma chalcodes in your avatar? I'm particularly fond of Grammastola and Avicularia. Just curious.

Adult Citharischius crawshayi female actually, they of the cartoon-like back legs :lol:

I have some interest in asperger's syndrome. Some years ago I met someone whom I thought I had quite a bit in common with. Then I found out she had asperger's, which got me to wondering if I had it too. I'd also read a couple of articles about it and had noticed I did have some of the traits, though not all of them.

I called a certain phone number to talk to someone about getting tested for it, but the lady I talked to was convinced I didn't have it, just from speaking to me.

So, I took an online test for asperger's. I scored higher than the "normal" group, but not nearly high enough to be considered an aspie. I decided to not worry about it much anymore.

In response to what Miss Bubbles said, Asperger's was just something I was curious about at the time I started this thread. I've talked to a number of Aspies, and I saw similiarities in our behavior and personalities. I was not self-diagnosing, I was just considering possibilities. I do not consider myself an Aspie, nor do have I pursued a diagnosis. I simply saw striking similarities between myself and the "typical" traits of Asperger's Syndrome, and I took note of it and made it a discussion.

By the way, is that a Aphonopelma chalcodes in your avatar? I'm particularly fond of Grammastola and Avicularia. Just curious.

Adult Citharischius crawshayi female actually, they of the cartoon-like back legs :lol:

Ah, yes! The legendary King Baboon! I personally prefer the New World tarantulas to the Old World, but majestic nonetheless. Very nice.

It would be so much simpler if there was some kind of brain scan that showed up everything. Like a modern phrenology.

"Oh yes, I see you have an anxiety disorder; like cake with no icing; bit of OCD; enjoy Bollywood films; would like to murder your neighbour..."

Then again, maybe not :P

To put it bluntly, if it's never been mentioned by anyone around you before, and you're looking at self-diagnosis, you almost certainly do not have an ASD.

Given that most people have never heard of Asperger's Syndrome in the first place, I find that a little hard to swallow.

It just isn't something that you can see in yourself until someone else points it out, because people with ASDs don't see themselves as seeing the world differently or weirdly. Until someone points it out, you see your world view as normal.

One can certainly recognize the symptoms, especially if they have real-world effects. The social difficulties that stem from the inability to comprehend the nuances of nonverbal communication that most people take for granted, for instance. This is probably the biggest challenge faced by adults with AS. In my case, I cope by finding work environments in which my interaction with other people is minimal. Even so, I tend not to do well in job interviews because of this.

You might want to cut other people some slack, as you come across as someone who is ready to take an axe to anyone who dares suggest that they themselves might be an Aspie without having had a formal diagnosis. Given that AS isn't universally recognized to start with, and given that many of us simply would not be able to afford the cost of seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist in the first place, I think you are being unduly harsh.

I don't adopt AS as a label. I adopt AS as an explanation. I know what kind of person I am (I'm already over 40, so I've had a lot of time to discover myself), and one description of what AS children are like sent chills up and down my spine as I recognized myself in what was written. Suddenly, all of the difficulties I've had over the years in trying to fit in with the rest of society (and only partially succeeding) made sense.

So now, I admit to being an Aspie in venues where it's appropriate: here and in two Asperger-related forums I frequent. That's because in these places I find other people who have similar experiences to what I've had to deal with. We can compare notes, give each other support, and gain further insight as to what is going on inside our heads.

On the other hand, offline I have told absolutely no one about it, and intend to keep it that way. There would be no point in my doing so. I have enough problems with the real world as it is; I don't need to stick a label on myself for other people to see that may well just make things worse.

To put it bluntly, if it's never been mentioned by anyone around you before, and you're looking at self-diagnosis, you almost certainly do not have an ASD.

Given that most people have never heard of Asperger's Syndrome in the first place, I find that a little hard to swallow.

I wasn't talking about people mentioning Asperger's specifically, but the behaviour patterns of Asperger's and other ASDs are something that other people notice, particularly in childhood. The people that notice may never have heard of Autism, but that doesn't mean they can't observe pronounced differences in communication and interaction.

One can certainly recognize the symptoms, especially if they have real-world effects. The social difficulties that stem from the inability to comprehend the nuances of nonverbal communication that most people take for granted, for instance. This is probably the biggest challenge faced by adults with AS. In my case, I cope by finding work environments in which my interaction with other people is minimal. Even so, I tend not to do well in job interviews because of this.

That way well be true for some people, and as I have actually already said, if you've gone right into the diagnostic criteria and looked at your own thought processes, talked to other AS people, cross-checked with the people around you, then in some cases self-diagnosis may well be valid up to a point.

You might want to cut other people some slack, as you come across as someone who is ready to take an axe to anyone who dares suggest that they themselves might be an Aspie without having had a formal diagnosis. Given that AS isn't universally recognized to start with, and given that many of us simply would not be able to afford the cost of seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist in the first place, I think you are being unduly harsh.

Again, I have already said that my posts aren't aimed so much at the people who take it seriously and really do look into it in depth before reaching for the AS label. They are aimed at the people who do a test or look up a definition on the off-chance, get a certain score or agree with basic criteria, and then put their hand up with everyone else. These people are genuinely harmful to the perception and treatment of Autistic people in general, because they add to the myth that autism is a mickey-mouse disorder, and that is why I happen to feel very strongly about it.

I don't adopt AS as a label. I adopt AS as an explanation. I know what kind of person I am (I'm already over 40, so I've had a lot of time to discover myself), and one description of what AS children are like sent chills up and down my spine as I recognized myself in what was written. Suddenly, all of the difficulties I've had over the years in trying to fit in with the rest of society (and only partially succeeding) made sense.

Explanation in that sense, fine. The people I have the most issues with are those that use AS an excuse for not fitting in or are so desperate to be seen as 'different' and/or 'unique' that they're prepared to accept a label like AS.

So now, I admit to being an Aspie in venues where it's appropriate: here and in two Asperger-related forums I frequent. That's because in these places I find other people who have similar experiences to what I've had to deal with. We can compare notes, give each other support, and gain further insight as to what is going on inside our heads.

OK, this is a point I'm slightly bitter about. AS and High-Functioning Autism are two distinct, yet related disorders. AS people have their own communities where they can do that, partly because of the higher numbers of diagnosed people. I, as a HFA do not, unless I register on an AS forum and attempt to ignore the differences. I would love to have that level of understanding with other people, but the communities just aren't out there. There are plenty for the parents of autistic people (particularly those people at the bottom end of the spectrum), but none that I've ever found for the individual, save those AS forums. This is however, a personal issue and nothing to do with the points I'm making on here.

On the other hand, offline I have told absolutely no one about it, and intend to keep it that way. There would be no point in my doing so. I have enough problems with the real world as it is; I don't need to stick a label on myself for other people to see that may well just make things worse.

I'm very glad you realise that the label can make things worse. That is actually one of the points I've been trying to make all along, because a lot of people don't seem to get that. People seem to think that AS is a catch-all label for the "not-quite-normal", and that putting an AS label on themselves is going to magically solve all their problems and cause everything to fall into place. That is the attitude that annoys (and offends) me above all else, because labels such as AS can only identify your problems, they can not solve them.

I'm very sorry if you think I'm being unduly harsh, but this is a subject I inevitably feel strongly about, and when faced with people apparently going "Look at my test score, I'm an Aspie!", I'm hardly going to turn round and say "Oh that's nice.". I just want people to understand what they're labelling themselves as, and if they do, then fine, but they have to accept that self-diagnosis will never carry the same weight as a professional diagnosis, in the same way that I can self-diagnose a chest infection, but in order to gain access to treatment, I have to be properly diagnosed by a doctor. I may well be right, but for anything above internal explanation (IE So that's why I've been coughing up green slime), the need for professional diagnosis is still there/

I wasn't talking about people mentioning Asperger's specifically, but the behaviour patterns of Asperger's and other ASDs are something that other people notice, particularly in childhood. The people that notice may never have heard of Autism, but that doesn't mean they can't observe pronounced differences in communication and interaction.

Oh, it's been noticed. But most people have no idea that it could have a neurological basis.

That way well be true for some people, and as I have actually already said, if you've gone right into the diagnostic criteria and looked at your own thought processes, talked to other AS people, cross-checked with the people around you, then in some cases self-diagnosis may well be valid up to a point.

Thank-you for that concession. Previously, you seemed to be painting all self-diagnosed Aspies with the same brush.

Again, I have already said that my posts aren't aimed so much at the people who take it seriously and really do look into it in depth before reaching for the AS label.

Reading through your past posts, I didn't get that from you.

They are aimed at the people who do a test or look up a definition on the off-chance, get a certain score or agree with basic criteria, and then put their hand up with everyone else. These people are genuinely harmful to the perception and treatment of Autistic people in general, because they add to the myth that autism is a mickey-mouse disorder, and that is why I happen to feel very strongly about it.

Granted, there's a general sense of "disease of the week" when it comes to AS, and people using it to make excuses or whatever. But your insistence that only those with a professional diagnosis can make the claim is unfair to the people who are serious about it, who have done legitimate research and a great huge amount of introspection, but for one reason or another are not able to obtain a formal diagnosis (whether it be through lack of funds, lack of access, whatever).

Explanation in that sense, fine. The people I have the most issues with are those that use AS an excuse for not fitting in or are so desperate to be seen as 'different' and/or 'unique' that they're prepared to accept a label like AS.

As I've said before, I am not using it as an excuse. I'm using it as an explanation for my past. Outside of a select few Internet communities (in with there are other Aspies, both legitimate and faddish), I don't tell people. There'd be no point.

OK, this is a point I'm slightly bitter about. AS and High-Functioning Autism are two distinct, yet related disorders.

Unless, of course, among those profesionals in the psychiactric community who equate the two. A certain amount of the literature I've read is from sources that claim there is no difference between the two. (I happen to disagree with those sources, but that's another matter.) ;)

AS people have their own communities where they can do that, partly because of the higher numbers of diagnosed people. I, as a HFA do not, unless I register on an AS forum and attempt to ignore the differences.

What about Autism forums? Or Autism + Asperger's forums? WrongPlanet, for example, bills itself as "Aspergers and Autism Community".

They have to accept that self-diagnosis will never carry the same weight as a professional diagnosis, in the same way that I can self-diagnose a chest infection, but in order to gain access to treatment, I have to be properly diagnosed by a doctor.

On the other hand, if I know that I have a head cold, I don't need the professional diagnosis of a doctor in order to take some Neo-Citran. In my own case, I don't see how obtaining a professional diagnosis would change anything. I would still have difficulties with nonverbal communication and (to a very limited extent) face recognition. I've compensated well enough for them to succeed at what I do (ie, steady job, ownign a home). I just wish it hadn't taken so long to get here, and firmly believe that it would have taken less time had I not had the social impairments brought about by AS. But there's nothing I can do about that.

The only thing a professional diagnosis would do for me is confirm what I am already virtually certain of, while putting a dent into my bank account in the process. Since I don't use Asperger's Syndrome for anything in the real world, it ultimately would make no difference.

I understand where you are coming from regarding those who are adopting Asperger's as the latest fad (joining ADD, ADHD, and Bipolar Depression as past "disease of the week" fads). But believe me when I say that there are some of us who are serious about it. And your repeated insistence that those of us who haven't gotten a formal diagnosis (or are unable to obtain one) are just a bunch of posers isn't really helping your case.

• 1 month later...
I guess that's what they're calling it. I don't know why. All I know is that my mom makes a bigger deal out of me having it than I do, and it's annoying sometimes.

Yeah... any time I'm in a bad mood, my mom goes "Oh, are you feeling Asperger-y? Did you remember to take your pills?" and I'm like "No, mom, I'm actually UPSET." :roll: It's not like it doesn't happen to other people.

Crap. That sounds SO much like my mother used to be with me, except for me the diagnosis/scapegoat was ADD. If I ever was a little out of touch, or a little touchy, or otherwise annoyed her, she'd be like, "Did you take your Ritalin?"

I no longer believe I have ADD, though.

And I don't have Asperger's either. I'm as NT as can be. I scored very low on that aspie quiz that people here have been posting...don't remember exactly what I got, but my aspie score was in like the 30s or something. Not a single cognitive-sensory oddity or hypersensitivity to be found; I'd even consider myself hyposensitive in some respects. My head is smaller than average, too...people with any kind of PDD supposedly tend to have big heads.

But my sort-of boyfriend is a self-diagnosed fringe-Aspie (his quirks are mild enough at this point in his life that a psychopharmacologist saw him as simply depressed), and if he's not asexual, then like me, he wouldn't be far from it. Heck, he may be closer to classically A than I am...I think he once told me that he rarely gets turned on and doesn't masturbate. He has gotten crushes, though. And he felt that he started to become less autistic-like once he started having them - he opened up to people to the point where he seems to be more sociable on average than I am, albeit not socially graceful per se. He can be attached to little rules, have a hard time reading nonverbal cues (which I've learned to recognize), and have a hard time perceiving things "halfway" or doing things "halfway" (which comes naturally to me). It's like he has a binary mind.

If Aspies are more likely than NTs to be asexual, it's probably because their cognitive-perceptual stuff makes it harder for them to integrate the subtle thoughts, feelings, social factors, etc. that lead others to develop typical sexuality.

symptoms (what a loaded word)

*nods* No kidding. :roll: Heh.. that reminds me of this: http://isnt.autistics.org/

heh...I liked that site when I first saw it.

I've long been fascinated with the concept of different cognitive and perceptual styles. And I have, at times, thought of my NT-ness as a disadvantage, because it means having dull senses and seeing the world the way almost everyone else does and thus not being able to provide a unique perspective.

There's just so much more to the world and the way things are than anyone can possibly see.

Peppermintdrop

Well, okay. I think I have it, but I haven't been diagnosed. As soon as I go back to school I'm going to utilize the free therapy there and see if they can tell me. Here are some of the reasons why I think I have it:

I have a serious lack of empathy.

I've been considered rude my whole life because I say things that seem fine to me, but other people take offense to.

I can't control my facial expressions very well.

I have obsessions, and they're definately not just interests. They generally last a month or so and during that time that's really all I care about.

I'm very good at rote memorization.

I get confused during conversations. Actually, I really don't understand how they work.

I lack common sense.

I'm bad at noticing the hidden messages in what people are saying.

Most of the things I say are copied from books, movies, or other people.

Up to the age of 10, I would flap my hands when I was excited. We even have this on video of me doing it on stage!

and it goes on...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been diagonsed for over a year now and personally its really helped me to understand and accept myself :) Also has helped a lot in my friendships because 1) I have friends who have AS themselves as well and 2) I can explain to friends why i'm acting a certain way which sometimes helps

I've been diagonsed for over a year now and personally its really helped me to understand and accept myself :) Also has helped a lot in my friendships because 1) I have friends who have AS themselves as well and 2) I can explain to friends why i'm acting a certain way which sometimes helps

For professional reasons, I can't obtain a diagnosis. But when I have told people I have asperger's the most common response I've gotten is, "I've known that for a long time."

While I ws with childofthelight the other day he noticed another aspie trait that i was doing, that I hadn't even been aware of

As soon as I go back to school I'm going to utilize the free therapy there and see if they can tell me. Here are some of the reasons why I think I have it:

I would really like to undergo some type of diagnostics but if I am officially "labelled" then I would have to write that on job applications (the ones you fill out after you've been hired) and that in turn could very likely keep me from getting tenure

• 1 year later...
Sorry, this isn't meant to be offensive if it comes across that way, but... what is it with this board and Aspergers? Really, I don't get it. Do you guys think it's linked with asexuality for God knows what reason, or is it totally unrelated. It's just that I keep seeing Aspergers pop up randomly on here and I'm getting frustrated because I don't understand if it's linked with it... and no, I don't have it if you're wondering.

I am a 27 year old female Aspie and to answer your question yes AS is linked to a higher incidence of asexuality but it is by no means the "normal" sexuality amongst aspies we have a range like everyone else.

I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers but I know I have some form of it. I've been obsessed with astrology since age 10, I have intense routines which I follow daily, I don't like to be around people, have no friends or social life, do not care that much about my family, have no interest in making close friends, etc. HOWEVER, I can be very sweet to people when I want to and am ok/good with the public. I have actually worked in customer service. I did care about 9/11 and hurricane Katrina. I do care about what goes on in the U.S. and would consider myself kind of politically aware. I'm just not good with any kind of one on one interactions or anything that requires me to be intimate. My sister who hates me tried to get close to me over the last year and a half. I just cut her off again and don't miss her at all. :mellow: I wish I could change. I think it is too late. I'm too old and set in my ways. Mostly I'm just so g/d bitter about how my life has turned out. I'm sure things could have been different if I hadn't been so traumatized in middle school. I actually think my Aspergers is environmentally related.

I'm sure things could have been different if I hadn't been so traumatized in middle school. I actually think my Aspergers is environmentally related.

I don't think that is very likely (but I don't know anything about your past other than what you posted, so I can't really say anything for sure). I haven't heard of trauma making people autistic (that sounds a bit like the old "refrigerator mother" hypothesis, which has been disproven). Autism is largely genetic, as shown by twin studies (if one identical twin is autistic, there is something like a 90% chance that the other twin is autistic as well).

I didn't have autistic behaviors at all as a child. I would have been considered shy or quiet at times but not truly withdrawn like I am now. My personality radically changed after middle school, period. Today I might be considered autistic to the casual observer, with my lack of friends and social skills. I was highly social and even popular before about the 4th or 5th grade. ????

I'm sure things could have been different if I hadn't been so traumatized in middle school. I actually think my Aspergers is environmentally related.

I don't think that is very likely (but I don't know anything about your past other than what you posted, so I can't really say anything for sure). I haven't heard of trauma making people autistic (that sounds a bit like the old "refrigerator mother" hypothesis, which has been disproven). Autism is largely genetic, as shown by twin studies (if one identical twin is autistic, there is something like a 90% chance that the other twin is autistic as well).

Whoa. I just found this topic. I didn't know Asperger's syndrome had such a high rate of asexuality until now... :blink:

I was told by a psychologist that I had Asperger's syndrome, although I wasn't tested officially. It does make a bit of sense, I guess, with regards to my personality, although I think the connection between asexuality and Asperger's should be looked into further... Psychologists could be missing some interesting connections there!

Hey, I know! That's what I'll research for my psychology thesis! Ha ha :lol:

Hmm... well I think there are some reasons I may have Asperger's, probably because:

--Lack of social skills. ( I have no friends in university, the last friend I made was back in middle school.)

--Intense interest in art and comics. I think about nothing else. Every day. That's what I do.

--High intelligence. I have the highest GPA for my year in university. (Please don't take that as bragging or anything! I do not mean to be smug or anything like that!)

Yet reasons that don't make sense are that I have no motor abnormalities, and I do not have trouble with recognizing emotions in other people. Perhaps I just have a mild case. I'm not really sure!

It is very interesting to read about other people's experiences with Asperger's here, though! :)

hell_blazer

Who here has Asperger's Syndrome?

well you are asking a question here and i can't quite explain what happened but i'll do my best.

in my early 20's i ended up in a mental hospital for a few months and when i was discharged i had a cmht (community mental health team) supporting me. any way after a few months of cognative behavioural therapy my shirink sent me for an asperger's syndrome test. but the shrink who saw me ended up saying i had some asperers symtoms but i didnt tick enough boxes to get a dyognoses so i've ended up stuck in limbo. i know one guy who has ended up in a similar position to me but he doesnt have a cmht like me cos he's never been sectioned like i have. boy my friend can bore anybody to death about every bus route time table in london yet he doesn't tick enough AS boxes. me and him we've ended up living a half life not quite 'normal' not quite aspergers. it sucks i dont mean to insult anybody with AS but my own experiance i've been left hanging. i feel like i'm trapped in a perminant twilight

alienentity

I am diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome / Autism (depending which specialist you ask).

I subscribe to the autistic pride movement

I also have multiple specific learning difficulties.

I was miserable until I was diagnosed- before that I thought all the problems I'd experienced (including bullying and abuse) were my fault and when I asked my doctor he just said I was 'depressed' and my therapists just said I had 'low self esteem' - well, they were both right, but they didn't bother wondering how and why I had got like that.

I eventually got diagnosed as being autistic in my 20s and the more I learned about it the more my life made sense.

I now see that lack of understanding from society about my condition, and also in some cases a discriminatory attitude, led to much of the bullying I experienced.

I am still sad about what happened in the past - if my autism had been recognised earlier things could have been very different. But now that I realise that I'm autistic and that my difficulties aren't my fault I feel a lot better about myself.

I am a member of a couple of autism support societies and also a couple of online communities from which I have found tremendous support and amazing understanding.

I now campaign actively for disability equality for all, although for obvious reasons my areas of specialisation are autism, mental health issues and specific learning difficulties.

i don't believe i have AS and if i do, then i have a rare type of it...

ChildOfTheLight
Hmm... well I think there are some reasons I may have Asperger's, probably because:

--Lack of social skills. ( I have no friends in university, the last friend I made was back in middle school.)

--Intense interest in art and comics. I think about nothing else. Every day. That's what I do.

--High intelligence. I have the highest GPA for my year in university. (Please don't take that as bragging or anything! I do not mean to be smug or anything like that!)

Yet reasons that don't make sense are that I have no motor abnormalities, and I do not have trouble with recognizing emotions in other people. Perhaps I just have a mild case. I'm not really sure!

Shows how well the psychologists (or should I have stopped before "logists"?) have propagandized the world around them! Intense interests are a disease (unless they're precipitated by following a fad.) High intelligence is a disease. Lack of interest in the social games most people play is a disease. What nonsense. Cube farm jobs, cookie-cutter suburbs, and so-called adults who interact like high schoolers are the symptoms of disease. Not these things.

• 1 year later...

I have never been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndromne, but I have had a learning disabiltiy since I was like.... two? No, mebbie since I started Kindergarden. At age two I had to have speech because I was delayed in speaking. But with speech at that age, I never had a problem with reading. ^_^ Anyways, my learning disability is mild, and I still have it.

Justinfh2Point0

Do yourself a favor. Don't diagnose yourself. Go to a doctor about this stuff. And even then mental disorders like Aspie are hard to diagnose.

red_brick_dream

I haven't been diagnosed, but I do want to talk to a psychiatrist at some point, because I really do think I might have it.

I have a low threshold for sensory overload. I walk into a bar, with noise and people everwhere, and I just want to panic and leave.

I can't make smalltalk to save my life - being left alone with an unfamiliar (or familiar, for that matter) person is like torture for me.

I don't like eye contact.

I had a lot of ear infections as a child. Apparently that's fairly strongly correlated with autism...?

I'm unable to lie.

I have limited, intense interests.

I don't understand nonverbal communication or social cues.

I don't understand most social activity or nuance.

I sounded like a college professor when I was 12.

I often find myself speaking with incredible verbosity.

Strong social phobia and social ineptitude.

And I just plain feel like a ****ing alien most of the time. I feel like I really do operate on a different wavelength than most people. I'm just perpetually mystified by everything in the human world, and completely socially detached sometimes. I rely heavily on a close friend (I'm very lucky to have him) to keep converation going, because I'm constantly just drifting off into my own little world.

Do yourself a favor. Don't diagnose yourself. Go to a doctor about this stuff. And even then mental disorders like Aspie are hard to diagnose.

Do yourself a favour and stop being a smug gobshite.

Guest member25959

I don't have Aspergers, a psychiatrist suggested that I may have it, but it was mentioned once, it wasn't even properly considered.

AS can involve an intense and obsessive level of focus on things of interest.

I have intense and obsessive level of interest in so many different things, not just a few things

In general, orderly things appeal to people with AS. Some researchers mention the imposition of rigid routines (on self or others) as a criterion for diagnosing this condition. It appears that changes to their routines cause inordinate levels of anxiety for some people with this condition.

Orderly things and Me are two completely different things.

I have symptoms of OCD, but thats different

Some people with AS experience varying degrees of sensory overload and are extremely sensitive to touch, smells, sounds, tastes, and sights.

I definately don't have any of this. I may be a bit sensetive to some things but not that sensetive

AS may lead to problems in social interaction with peers.

I choose not to socialize, I had a social life whilst in school, but I gave up on socializing ever since one of my friends stopped talking to me

It is differentiated from other PDD's in that a person with AS also has normal to above normal intelligence.

I'm not that clever, I came out of school with grade C's, non above or under C

I know a boy whp's been diagnosed with Asperger's. By boy, I mean he's almost my age. My "big brother" Jim thought we'd get along so he introduced us one day. It's his step-son.

I've never been diagnosed with Asperger's. I've been diagnosed with Acute Paranoia, ADHD, FAE (Standing for Fetal Alcohol Effect which is FAS without the physical symptoms), and manic depression.

"1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction

(at least two of the following)

(a) inability to interact with peers

(b) lack of desire to interact with peers

© lack of appreciation of social cues

(d) socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior"

While I don't have an inability to interact with people, I do seriously lack the desire to. Yes, I have socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior, especially considering my age. I act like a child. I think a lot like a child. I'm 27.

2.All-absorbing narrow interest

(at least one of the following)

(a) exclusion of other activities

(b) repetitive adherence

© more rote than meaning

The closest I come to having any of these is A, exclusion of other activites. I have my interests narrowed down and won't even try other things.

3.Imposition of routines and interests

(at least one of the following)

(a) on self, in aspects of life

(b) on others

Okay. I like my routine. Get up at 5:30am to go to work after sleeping through always 2 snooze alarms. Going home by bus and getting hoem at 2:30pm. Nap until 5:30pm. Board the bus at 6pm. Ride around with Jim until 10:30pm. Go home and sleep. Do it all over again. Sundays are laundry-mat and Kabob's day, rain or shine. And I suppose it imposes on others, since I must be on Jim's bus riding around with him all night when he's working.

I do have some characteristics, but I'm not exactly an AS poster child.

Your Aspie score: 134 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I'm in the process of writing a book which will be about Asperger's Syndrome among other things (I'm going to write about Asexuality too). If anyone is interested in reading what I've written so far, please send my PM. :)