Asperger's Syndrome

Who here has Asperger's Syndrome?

Who has been diagnosed with it?

Who has never been officially diagnosed but believes that they have AS? What leads you to believe that you have AS?

I've never been officially diagnosed, but I have reason to believe that I am an Aspie. A sample of my reasoning (with excerpts from the Wikipedia article on AS):

AS can involve an intense and obsessive level of focus on things of interest.

In my case, herpetology/herpetoculture have been my obsession since I was 4.

In general, orderly things appeal to people with AS. Some researchers mention the imposition of rigid routines (on self or others) as a criterion for diagnosing this condition. It appears that changes to their routines cause inordinate levels of anxiety for some people with this condition.

DO NOT INTERFERE WITH MY DAILY ROUTINE!

Some people with AS experience varying degrees of sensory overload and are extremely sensitive to touch, smells, sounds, tastes, and sights.

I'm a diagnosed photophobe (I have an abnormal sensitivity to light) and I can pick up on things no one else can hear. And most foods taste too salty for me.

AS may lead to problems in social interaction with peers.

I have no social life outside of AVEN.

It is differentiated from other PDD's in that a person with AS also has normal to above normal intelligence.

I am of "superior intellect." (My mother thinks I should join MENSA, but I think it's just one of her strategies to try to get me to find a man and have brilliant babies.)

6. I cannot pick up on nonverbal forms of communication.

7. I am asexual, aromantic, and I HATE physical contact.

I could go on for ages, but I'll stick with these few points for now. People typically attribute my eccentricities to "blonde-ness," and some have said I live in a permanent state of "blonde moment." I think this is foolish, though, because I'm smarter than all of them. :)

You know, I fit a lot of those categories too, but I just never cared enough about labels or a diognosis to really find out. I'm fine with who I am. I think if you're fine right now, whether you have Asp or not is irrelevant. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Good luck figuring it out.

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's since I was 9.

I can pick up on nonverbal forms of communication, but it took years of therapy to get there. It can be learned, but it takes time.
I am asexual, have an asexual girlfriend with Aspergers, and I ENJOY physical contact from her ONLY.
I could go on for ages, but I'll stick with these few points for now. People typically attribute my eccentricities to "blonde-ness," and some have said I live in a permanent state of "blonde moment." I think this is foolish, though, because I'm smarter than all of them. :)
Well, I would seek diagnosis from a psychiatrist/psychologist first. As I said before, some of the "symptoms" you reported having aren't necessarily part of Asperger's, especially #7. I've met Aspies all over the scales on #7, so it is pretty irrelevant to forming a diagnosis. And #6 can be worked out with therapy, and I highly recommend seeking some good communication therapy so you can learn that skill. And I also recommend learning to sign (yes, the way most deaf people do)--it forces you to use your eyes to pay attention, and it does wonders for improving eye contact. (I know because I know how to sign American Sign Language ;) )
You know, I fit a lot of those categories too, but I just never cared enough about labels or a diognosis to really find out. I'm fine with who I am. I think if you're fine right now, whether you have Asp or not is irrelevant. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Good luck figuring it out.
I totally disagree with this. Labels are meant to describe you; they do NOT define you. You shouldn't change your behavior pattern just to fit a label, but labels make it easier to explain who you are. and getting diagnosed with Asperger's can make life a lot easier because a psychiatrist and/or therapist can help you overcome the shortcomings of Asperger's while reaping the benefits of Asperger's.

I can REALLY agree on learning to sign note that gnulinuxman said. I've tried signing year ago in Czech language and despite psychomotoric difficulties related to hand moves and lef-right orientation (basically, tended to make exact opposite of some signs, and signed with left hand which I was advised on not to do.) it helped so much.

This year I started with Japanese Sign Language (let's see how it comes out later) and I can really say I am more comfortable using sign languages and it helps me to pay attention more to people and words in general, not taking it as much literally, even maintaining some eye-contact...

Adventuress Heart

I have AS. My dad has AS and it was something that affected family life as well.

Some of my traits include:

Social: Don't have friends, too sensitive to comments, don't always understnad what people are talking about, get really nervous if I'm in a place with too many people or at a party.

If I go out to buy something from the store I have to rehearse the whole thing in my head and if one thing goes wrong I am unable to react properly sometimes.

I don't do "small talk" if anyone wants to talk they're going to have to ask direct questions and I answer, and I hardly ask anyone questions or respond in a friendly conversation manner. I simply answer the questions.

*** I have severe difficulty using the phone or leaving messages, if I have to do it then I rehearse write it all out and read it and even so it never turns out as smooth as I hope it would.

Other things that bother me: lights, the sun, sounds, people being near me, sensitive to touch, hate anyone TOUCHING MY HAIR OR HEAD -- OFF LIMITS --

Some behaviour, I'm very sensitive, too sensitive actually.

I become overly obsessed with too many things, I go deep into it as if it's the only thing that exists in this world then get annoyed really quickly after abit and abandon it all together and move on to something else where the same thing happens.

I hate anyone touching my stuff or rearranging it, I'm seen as selfish alot even though I'm not, people often think I'm a proud person, my behaviour seems to give off that impression but it's not what I intend.

I'd prefer to give something up all together than share it with someone. I would prefer to live alone as soon as I can manage to.

I love animals and prefer to be around them than humans.

My empathy level is very low, if someone is in pain or I see a tragedy unfold infront of me I rarely feel anything more than abit of discomfort.

Other times I seem to take too much responsibility for others actions and dump them on my shoulders (It's stupid of course but I have no control over it)

Anxiety, stress, depression is always there, it just comes out at certain times more than others.

I've always struggled with relationships, without even bringing the issue of Asexuality into it, the AS was enough on it's own to drive me mad. I mentioned in other posts that I was never in a relationship (meaning a real one)

My relationships don't go beyong "engagement" by name, which I've gone through over 5 times in the period of 3 years. I've been accused of "playing with people's emotions" . I don't know how that's possible since I tried everything to make it work, basically my super sensitivity or something else gets in the way and I'm left heartbroken.

I knew I was asexual all along, I was still willing to marry more as a "duty" - Now I don't care what my family say, I'm willing to accept who I am and how I am and trying to work on being "HAPPY" instead of constantly struggling and sacrificing for others. [ I hope thats not selfish either!]

Theres more but it doesn't come to mind at the moment.

Sorry for the long post,

I was diagnosed maybe 7 years ago. They told me I've got a "high-functioning" type, and it's not a big problem for me.

I'll freely admit that my social skills aren't the best, and I'm slightly dee-dee-dee, but that's about it for me.

what's all this about a "syndrome"? :P

I guess that's what they're calling it. I don't know why. All I know is that my mom makes a bigger deal out of me having it than I do, and it's annoying sometimes.

Hallucigenia
I guess that's what they're calling it. I don't know why. All I know is that my mom makes a bigger deal out of me having it than I do, and it's annoying sometimes.

Yeah... any time I'm in a bad mood, my mom goes "Oh, are you feeling Asperger-y? Did you remember to take your pills?" and I'm like "No, mom, I'm actually UPSET." :roll: It's not like it doesn't happen to other people.

Adventuress Heart

Yeah... any time I'm in a bad mood, my mom goes "Oh, are you feeling Asperger-y? Did you remember to take your pills?" and I'm like "No, mom, I'm actually UPSET." :roll: It's not like it doesn't happen to other people.

I know what you mean, it's so annoying.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything but I think I may be a high functioning autistic. Many similarities to aspbergers but a little different.

Well, Mom never used the term "Asperger-y", and I've never been on medication for it. What she did/does is constantly pester me about getting "services" or "special needs"-type stuff.

I don't need any "special help." Most of the stuff I did, mostly it was to get her up off my back. I'll freely admit to being crazy (the good kind, of course) and possibly a little bit dee-dee-dee when the mood strikes, but I ain't completely stupid.

Who has never been officially diagnosed but believes that they have AS?

raises hand

What leads you to believe that you have AS?[/

yep, my summer seems to have passed without an intense interest though thats quite unusual. When I do get an interest I stick with it nonstop until I've exhausted everything I want to know about it - and they are usually onscure things like preworld war 1 submarines

In general, orderly things appeal to people with AS. Some researchers mention the imposition of rigid routines (on self or others) as a criterion for diagnosing this condition. It appears that changes to their routines cause inordinate levels of anxiety for some people with this condition.

Well I've gotten a lot better at this since I've gotten older, so I no longer go berserk when my daiily schedule is thrown off without two weeks notice, but i can't do things like put my right shoe on before my left - I'll struggle with it if I try.

Some people with AS experience varying degrees of sensory overload and are extremely sensitive to touch, smells, sounds, tastes, and sights.

don't ever let velvet or cashmere touch me. - I can't stand it. I have almost no sense of smell so thats not a problem but I can't eat foods with certain textures - bananas taste alright but I can't swallow them. I also like all my food bland - a little basil or something is okay but lots of seasonings make it yucky.

I definately have problems with social interaction though now its starting to get to the point where its my choice not to extend my social life (and i'm going to start doing that)

It is differentiated from other PDD's in that a person with AS also has normal to above normal intelligence.

I'm college valedictorian - and I can memorise a typical chapter in a text book in an hour - just don't ask me to recall it two weeks later

Me neither. and when it comes to hand gestures I'm usually still trying to figure out if I'm being signalled too after they stop making them

well I'm romantic, though I probably fall at being romantic.

I don't want my family touching me at all, but there are a few people whose hugs mean a lot to me. and I love holding my cats

I also miss some common sense things.

If you tell me the nuts are on a shelf, and when i can't find them you say they are back there in a can, I'll keep looking on the shelf - it will never occur to me to look on the can rack because you told me they were on the shelf.

and if I'm used to seeing you in a hat and then I see you without a hat on, it will be difficult for me to place you - i've learned to work around this by looking away and listening to the voice.

I also need absolute quiet to do things that require concentration - i failed several of my english tests in high school because the teacher was always talking to her husband during them. when I started college I used to take ear plugs with me to wear during exams.

until someone told me, I really didn't know I should say hi to someone when I enter a room and they are there - I still don't see the point in doing this actually. Just like I don't see the point in the "Hi, how are you" everytime you see someone again.

I learned to look in peoples eyes (and how to do so) from discussions on here - and I have to make an effort to do that. ITs especially hard because the conversation seems fake when I'm looking at someone eye's. Before it used to be too intesne for me to look into eyes at all but now I only have that problem when I know i'm the topic of what the speaker is saying.

I know I do occasionally use gestures when I shouldn't, and I know I sometimes have to define the words I use even though I stay away from saying things like "elucidate" in daily conversation. Apparently not everyone knows words like verdant. I also do tend to use the leiteral interpretation - though now I answer the question literally in a joking voice while I think about what the person is actually asking. and I do always say "slow up a sec" rather than "slow down"

My handwriting is terrible too - though I've noticed that its improved as my feelings of security and stablity have improved but if I want it to be legible to most, I need to write slower than most would.

I also can't make efficicent use of a calendar - no matter how much time I spend and how hard I try I can't get the things on the right dates, and then I'll end up reading it wrong - I can tell you exactly how a calendar works, I just can't use it myself. I need list.

I also need my papers organized chronologically in the order I received them (most recent first) or I'll never be able to find them without flipping through each page in a binder - filing them in sections with labeled tabs doesn't help. It jus makes it more frustrating for me to find what I'm looking for.

I don't believe I've done it for about two years now but I used to have a habit of picking the top layer off my lip - I actually created a gouge in my lip once. I liked that gentle sting I got when I ripped it off. Strange I know.

I don't believe I've done it for about two years now but I used to have a habit of picking the top layer off my lip - I actually created a gouge in my lip once. I liked that gentle sting I got when I ripped it off. Strange I know.

I do that too, though not as often as I used to. The "tug-of-war" between the teeth and the lip is strangely amusing. My fingernail on my right ring finger is all messed up because I have a habit of shoving sharp objects under the nail absentmindedly. I don't even notice I'm doing it most of the time. And I grind my teeth--all the time. In middle and high school, teachers would tell me to come to the front of the class and spit out my gum, but I was grinding my teeth, not chewing gum. Once a teacher even looked in my mouth because she thought I was lying. These things could be attributed to anxiety, though...I worry about everything, all the time.

I think I definitely have quite a few of the symptoms except for the social interaction problems. I've never been a super-outgoing person, but I don't have much trouble making and keeping friends or interacting in groups. For that reason I've never really considered the possibility of having AS.

JokeyFairbobbin

I fit the Wikipedia description of Asperger's pretty well. It's very easy to go down the list and check the boxes. Social issues, obsessions, whatever. I could make a list of comparisons, but I doubt you want to read it.

However, I will NEVER claim to have Asperger's, or even speculate about it, because I just don't have the background to do so. Like all psychological abnormalities, it's not as simple as just a list of symptoms. The degree of severity- sure, I've been obsessed with dragons for as long as I can remember, but it doesn't interfere with my ability to function- or the manner in which the symptoms manifest themselves is a major factor in determining whether a person has Asperger's or not.

It's one thing to be diagnosed. However, if you're suspecting- get some sort of verification. The internet has WAY too many people latching onto Asperger's because the symptoms are so vague that some professionals doubt it's even a real disorder.

Finally, to quote the inflammatory Encyclopedia Dramatica on the issue: "If you feel that you're shy, unusual, highly intelligent, able to sense the emotional states of others, good at judging body language and inordinately pre-occupied with things that most people are not, congratulations! You are just like everybody else."

While I don't think I have AS, I am fairly sure I'm a borderline for it - I fit a fair number of the symptoms (what a loaded word), but where I vary, it's dramatic, and only a few of the 'symptoms' are of serious intensity (my senses are freakishly acute, for instance)

I don't actually have Aspergers, as far as I know, but I'm in that direction as a personality type. I'm intelligent but not very good at social skills and dealing with people, introverted, dislike loud music and strong scents and spicy food, never been in love, etc.

ChildOfTheLight
symptoms (what a loaded word)

*nods* No kidding. :roll: Heh.. that reminds me of this: http://isnt.autistics.org/

That site is great.

Unlike many of you on here, I actually was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome a long time ago, by a supposedly competent psychologist. Also unlike many of you, I'm quite sure that I don't have it. The criteria listed on Wikipedia, which are consistent with those I've read elsewhere, mostly either don't fit me or are so vague they could fit almost anyone. Specifically, I don't have at least two of the key symptoms: "clumsy, uncoordinated movements" (I'm a decent natural athlete in many sports) and "obsession with routines" (more like no desire at all to get into routines.) That's just off the top of my head. I know there are others that are just flat-out wrong for me.

But I can see how people could think otherwise. I don't care about social customs. I like being alone most of the time. I'm very sensitive to touch; on the one hand, I really enjoy soft clothing and soft fabric in general, on the other, I don't at all enjoy being touched by most people.

And yet if I'm emotionally close to someone, I'll want to be physically close to them as well. Hugging, cuddling, and such feel good to me, if the emotional connection is there first.

My favorite Asperger's site is http://www.wrongplanet.net. I hang out on the forum and the IRC channel a lot, and I have some friends who are members of both AVEN and Wrong Planet. I use the same nickname and avatar there so you'll be able to find me if you look. ;)

I can REALLY agree on learning to sign note that gnulinuxman said. I've tried signing year ago in Czech language and despite psychomotoric difficulties related to hand moves and lef-right orientation (basically, tended to make exact opposite of some signs, and signed with left hand which I was advised on not to do.) it helped so much.

This year I started with Japanese Sign Language (let's see how it comes out later) and I can really say I am more comfortable using sign languages and it helps me to pay attention more to people and words in general, not taking it as much literally, even maintaining some eye-contact...

In American Sign Language, you can sign with either hand, despite what the books tell you. I've read both left- and right-handed signers and they both were equally easy to understand.
  • 1 month later...

Make it a point to avoid medical professionals of all varieties, so I haven't the slightest clue if I have Asperger's. But it would certainly explain a lot if I do.

Always wanted to be a neurosurgeon. The mind fascinates me how one seemingly minor disruption can mess you up for life. Have since lowered my standards to computers and programming. Same kind of thing but doesn't require a lifetime of training/school.

No change, please! My boss has all employees take a personality test (probably for her sick amusement). Mine pointed out I'm terrible with changes, excel at tasks that are predictable, and follow a strict routine. Nice to know those tests are somewhat accurate at times. I tend to look for patterns in everything.

Overly sensitive sense of touch, smell, and taste. The touch thing affects my mom a lot, so I try to not let it show how much it bothers me for her sake. Not very good at it though.

Problems since I started school at age 3 or 5. If I know what I'm supposed to do or say, that's fine. I will do my bit and nothing more. Absolutely hate it when people try to introduce me to others so we can "talk" or "interact". They expect me to know exactly what to say and... just do it. Annoying.

Not so much above normal intelligence, more the fact that I'm quite good at memorization when it is necessary... like school and their exams. I promptly forget it all once the test is over.

I cannot pick up on nonverbal forms of communication.

I could not at first either. Took me years to learn, and I am still learning. Can really only do this with people I know, not random people off the street or acquaintences.

I am asexual, aromantic, and I HATE physical contact.

First and last for sure.

I also miss some common sense things.

If you tell me the nuts are on a shelf, and when i can't find them you say they are back there in a can, I'll keep looking on the shelf - it will never occur to me to look on the can rack because you told me they were on the shelf.

Same here :shock:

Sorry, this isn't meant to be offensive if it comes across that way, but... what is it with this board and Aspergers? Really, I don't get it. Do you guys think it's linked with asexuality for God knows what reason, or is it totally unrelated. It's just that I keep seeing Aspergers pop up randomly on here and I'm getting frustrated because I don't understand if it's linked with it... and no, I don't have it if you're wondering.

Who here has Asperger's Syndrome?

Who has been diagnosed with it?

Who has never been officially diagnosed but believes that they have AS? What leads you to believe that you have AS?

I have not been official diagnosed and since I’m 36 and Asperger’s was not diagnosed in the US till 1994, there was no chance for me to be diagnosed. On all the Aspie tests I’ve taken I’ve scored very high on the Aspie levels and low on the NT Nerotypical scores. An example of my score:

Aspie Test from: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 18 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

I have started the process for getting officially diagnosed and will not get to see a specialist until November. There are not many psychologists that can diagnose adults as it’s harder to diagnose adults more than children. A phone interview was given to me and so far the questionnaire they gave me indicates Aspie.

Anything electronic/electrical. I would take things apart to figure out how they worked.

I get very frustrated and irritable if my routine is interrupted and plans change.

I have an abnormal sensitivity to light and can’t be outside without sunglasses during the day. Even on rainy days it’s so bright to me I’ll wear polarized sunglasses (but not the really dark ones.). I can smell things long before anyone else can as well.

I’m totally oblivious to people emotions by site. I can detect things in sound, but not visually. I’m direct and to the point and get frustrated when someone else is not. I find it difficult to understand most people. (Except other Aspies)

Most people believe I have superior intellect especially when it comes to computers, anything electronic, math and science.

I cannot pick up on nonverbal forms of communication.

Me neither. I’m totally oblivious to anyone flirting to me or if I’m talking to them and I’m boring them to death with something technical.

I am asexual, aromantic, and I HATE physical contact.

I’m asexual but romantic. I only like physical contact with my wife and really no one else. I can’t stand to be touch by anyone else. I can tolerate a handshake, but that’s it.