1. 1. Is it cuss, curse, or swear

• Cuss
    • Curse
    • Swear

This poll is closed to new votes

The Terrible Travis

only six of you got this right smh 

HonoraryJedi

I think both curse and swear work for me, though I am more likely to say 'swear' myself. I hate 'cuss' though. It sounds like taking the word 'curse' and babyfied it to sound cuter. It should be worth noting also that english is my second language, so this is more about what I hear than where I come from. Though, now that I think about it, the sweadish word for cursing is 'svär' which translates to swear. While the more literal translation of 'curse' would be 'förbannelse' which only really means the magic type of curse, not the bad word type of curse. So that might be why I say 'swear' more often.

I got in trouble swearing, so I swore to myself I'd never do it again. Now I limit myself to the occasional curse. I do try not to mismatch my clothes when going outdoor, though.

• 5 months later...

i say cuss because that's how i learned it and i like saying cuss because it sounds a lot more intense to some people (and in some cases offensive ... for whatever reason) and i like asserting my dominance in that way :))))

Different contexts, I use all three. I cuss someone out, I use swear words, and I utter curses under my breath. 

• 4 weeks later...

I say (and hear) "swear" most often, but I might say "cuss" on occasion. The only person I've ever personally met who says "curse" is my grandmother. Since there seems to be a geographic difference in usage, it might interest you to know that I grew up and still live in California. My grandmother who occasionally says "curse" grew up in Washington state and currently lives in California.

SorryNotSorry

I use all three.

A person can be "an ornery old cuss", but not a curse or a swear.

Curve and swear both involve invoking supernatural powers to...uh, curve someone or something.  Cuss is just a southern US vernacular for curve.

None of these have anything to do with words expressing shit or any other scatological word.  Those who are upset that they don't have right to use "swear words" but actually want to use those so-called "dirty" words are complaining up the wrong tree.  

• 1 month later...

Umm It is all. I use them each interchangeably, but I don't curse..swear..cuss.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Swear is definitely the most common where I'm from... don't think I've ever heard someone say cuss that wasn't joking :lol:

I use cuss. If I have to be formal I use swear, but that is pretty rare.

Usually cuss. I don't care if it sounds babyish or suggests that I'm lower class and/or I.Q. because I've been a popular target for abusive language for almost my whole life, so I'm intimately familiar with how scary it can be so I don't fancy using it.

ExquisiteMystery

I agree with the others.

Cuss is almost exclusively a southern United States variant (occasionally, older people from elsewhere), generally not highly educated. I think it's another Old English remnant in Appalachia.

Curse is more generic, but does have either a deity, magic or extreme malice attached.

I think swear is often used for lawful/beneficial purposes, so is a more confusing choice of words.

• 2 months later...

@MollyDMA

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived