MollyDMA

Which word is right?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Is it cuss, curse, or swear

• Cuss
    • Curse
    • Swear

This poll is closed to new votes

It’s swear. The other two sound stupid to me.

They're just synonyms. They all mean the same thing.

15 minutes ago, MiseryTriumphant said:

Its cuss if you're southern, curse if you're a voodoo priest, and swear if you are from a royal family in the U.K. 😂

I am so writing this down XD 

I hate the word cuss, it sounds so weird and its just unpleasant to hear for me, so not that one 😂

Loofah B. Shampoo

I tend to switch between them, but curse is the most common for me. Depending on how meme-y I'm being, I might even say "good christian language" or "bad" words.

Custard Cream

Curse suggests wishing something bad on people, and cuss is just a contraction of curse (I think?) Swear is the best option for the use of 4 letter words and the like.

RoseGoesToYale

I use curse when I'm in Florida, swear in Connecticut, and cuss in Georgia. All are correct.

I use curse 

Technically curse and cuss are the same word, just that Southerners drop R's not unlike New Englanders saying "cah" instead of car or"bah" instead of bar. 

My family can’t decide either. I use cuss, my dad uses swear, and my aunt uses curse.

SorryNotSorry
1 hour ago, MiseryTriumphant said:

Its cuss if you're southern, curse if you're a voodoo priest, and swear if you are from a royal family in the U.K. 😂

This.

Grumpy Alien

Curse or swear

firewallflower

I don't consider any one really more objectively "correct" than another, though I personally am most likely to use "swear" and least likely to use "cuss". (Which it seems matches the trend in poll responses. 😛)

While we're on the topic, however, I must admit that I've wished occasionally for another verb referring specifically to "talking dirty" of that nature. "Curse" I think of in the sense of ill-wishing/malediction, "swear" in the sense of taking an oath. Which leaves "cuss," which is really just a variant of "curse". While we're at it, how about "use language"? That one circumvention never fails to amuse. 😆

All three are correct, dependent on where you are and context. 

Cuss, as many others have already said is a predominantly American term.  Cursing is is more commonly used if the word is aimed at someone else. So if you hit your thumb with a hammer it's a cuss, whereas yelling at someone who's upset you is a curse. 

Swear comes from swearing an oath - oath in this case being a polite euphemism for a swear word, particularly in older literature. 

In Victorian times a book would say "he uttered an oath", in C20 it would be "he swore loudly", today it would be "he yelled fuck off loudly" 

The terminology and language used varies according to the sensibilities of the time 

Member131995

Well as far as using foul language they all mean the same thing. My mom likes to say 'cuss' and my dad likes to use 'curse' like, 'don't use curse words in my house' thank god I don't live there anymore because I have the mouth of a sailor. I like to say swear, dunno why.

I'm used to "swear" but I've heard the other two around.

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

godverdomme?

I think they're pretty interchangeable, but maybe have regional or class connotations.

You can cuss, curse, or swear like a sailor. You can cuss, curse, or swear up a blue streak.

(blue language is another phrase that means profanity)

SpaceDustbin
3 hours ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

godverdomme?

Using the Dutch or Flemish pronunciation? :P

Staying on the topic of Dutch.. I'd say curse, but that's probably a translation thing, because a 'vloek' in Dutch literally translates to curse. 

Cussing just sounds fake :lol:

Honestly they all work. But people around me my whole life have always described it as cussing, and so do I. Also there is the factor that swear and curse both have other meanings as well, while cussing only means cussing.

• 1 month later...

I said swear, but it was surprisingly hard to choose. I've used all three at different times, mostly depending on who I'm with and what they use I guess.

wirewalker

I voted for curse, but I use both curse and swear regularly, and cuss occasionally.

Dreamsexual

Alawyn-Aebt

Where I live in the USA, cuss is seen as something only said by people lower on the socioeconomic ladder, usually only poor whites though, not blacks. Curse seemed preferred by lower-class blacks. Swear seems to be used by the middle-and-upper classes.

I am sure my identification of the words to certain socioeconomic classes does not carry through everywhere, but where I live it seems to. People will judge you if you say cuss, and more than once I have heard people comment to the one saying it, "Are you from West Virginia?" No one where I live wants to be seen as from West Virginia, there is a lot of stereotyping that makes West Virginians out to be uneducated.

I use exclusively swear probably for this reason. Everyone else I know uses swear or curse, many would never say cuss, curse is better than cuss but still carries a hint of lower-class

Archived