Romantic AND alterous, AARRGGHH

Dawning

Somebody PLEASE tell me that there's a name for it, when you experience romantic attractions to some kinds of people, and alterous attractions to other kinds of people...???!!!

I'm sure hoping that I don't have to add ANOTHER term to describe myself, LOL, but I guess we'll see. As part of my ever-evolving understanding of who I am, both within myself and in connection to other people, I have just recently realized that I'm experiencing alterous attraction to certain categories of people, rather than romantic attraction to all like I had previously thought. Because I experience both, I can assure you that they ARE different, and are NOT different levels or degrees of the same thing. Kind of a big revelation for me.

Does anyone else experience both of these kinds of attractions? Do you have any words of wisdom for me? Any ideas for a term we can use to describe it if there isn't one already?

I don't know of any one term that covers both alterous and romantic attraction. I think that if the alterous attraction that you experience is important enough to you to warrant a term then you may have to have two separate terms: one for your romantic orientation and one for your alterous romantic orientation. That our you could come up with your own term to describe your feelings. There's no reason you can't do that.

letusdeleteouraccounts

I feel like an alterous attraction is just a “squish” which is a combination of other attractions that’ll make you feel that way. No need for another label

5 hours ago, Star Lion said:

I feel like an alterous attraction is just a “squish” which is a combination of other attractions that’ll make you feel that way. No need for another label

The definition of squish does not remotely describe how I feel… or, I assume, how the person who invented the term "alterous," and the other people who use that term, feel either.

I noticed in your description that you're using THREE labels that the average person has never heard of, would not accept, and would not think are necessary, LOL… Just because you have labels that are accurate for you, doesn't mean that label-making has to stop for other people.

11 hours ago, lonelyace said:

I don't know of any one term that covers both alterous and romantic attraction. I think that if the alterous attraction that you experience is important enough to you to warrant a term then you may have to have two separate terms: one for your romantic orientation and one for your alterous romantic orientation. That our you could come up with your own term to describe your feelings. There's no reason you can't do that.

I'm used to being on the fringes of everything, even on this forum, but if I end up being the ONLY person who experiences both romantic and alterous attraction, that will be weird even for me, LOL! 

Maybe I'll call myself… romerous! It would be kind of lonely having a label for just one person, though…

Archived