The spectrum of sex aversion

everywhere and nowhere

What is your experience of sex aversion?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. What are your predominant feelings about having sex?

• Fear, anxiety
    • Disgust
    • Discomfort
    • Contradiction ("I can't even imagine having sex, it feels absurd")
    • Conflicted curiousity
  2. 2. What aspects of sex feel most uncomfortable to you?

• Body fluids
    • Nudity
    • Weird sounds
    • The idea of "someone doing something to my body"
    • Vulnerability, intimacy, "letting someone into a sphere which should be only mine"
    • Inequality, sociopolitical objection to sex
  3. 3. Do you experience unpleasant physical symptoms at the idea of having sex?

• Yes, strong physical symptoms (feeling sick)
    • Yes, milder physical symptoms (feeling short of breath, generally uncomfortable)
    • No
  4. 4. Which statement best describes the interrelation between your feelings about personally having sex and about other people having sex?

• I only feel uncomfortable about personally having sex, other people's sex doesn't bother me.
    • I feel uncomfortable about everything related to sex.
    • It's more complicated than just these two possibilities (fluctuating feelings, discomfort with some kinds of sexual content, but not with others...).

This poll is closed to new votes

everywhere and nowhere

This poll is intended primarily for people who experience some level of sex aversion - from some kind of "I really feel somehow uncomfortable with the idea of having sex..." to full-blown sex repulsion. I believe that it's best described as a spectrum because it includes many different shades - in some people it's generalised, in some it isn't (personally sex-averse but indifferent to sex not involving themselves), different kinds of negative feelings may be pedominant. Heck, all experience is a spectrum because no two people are identical - nobody's joy is identical to anyone else's joy, nobody's yearning is identical to anyone else's yearning! I have long been thinking about making this kind of poll and I think that I have found the right formula, the relevant aspects.

The first two questions multiple-choice to better reflect the complexity of experience. Of course, feel free to elaborate further on the topic if you want to.

This was interesting and well described. I didn't expect a poll on this topic to include such good descriptions.

I object to Question #2.  None of those things make me uncomfortable.  I only checked nudity because I was required to check SOMETHING.

2 hours ago, alto said:

I object to Question #2.  None of those things make me uncomfortable.  I only checked nudity because I was required to check SOMETHING.

Same here. It's not that the prospect of having sex makes me feel uncomfortable, per se. It's just that even the thought of having sex with someone just seems so unnecessary.

I didn't realize quite how sex-repulsed I was until doing this poll made me a bit uncomfortable, haha.  

Nice poll though!  :D

Other people can do whatever they want it doesn't affect me, however involving me any such activities nope 

Geez, I feel like I almost checked everything on the poll 😅 Just everything about sex is a "no" to me, but like Skycaptain said I can care less about what other people are into or doing.

Also, it is also nice to see other people with strong negative reactions to sex. I opened up a while ago somewhere else that I felt extremely sick to the point I was going to vomit at the thought of sex, and no one was helpful at all and just told me I was "messed up". :< So it is nice to see other people that feel the same way I do, even though the feelings themselves are uncomfortable and not pleasant... (I hope that made sense ☠️)

I am very much sex-repulsed in terms of it involving myself. Others can do what they will as long as it's safe and consensual. 😊

As far as sexual content goes, it's a bit more complicated. I go through phases of being very open to reading or hearing or learning about sex and sex scenes won't bother me, and then it will turn around and I want to have nothing to do with sexual content and it makes me very uncomfy and disgusted. Right now I'm sort of in the middle of those two phases.

I am very sex-repulsed. I have said this a few times before, but I would rather walk barefoot down a hall of spiky Lego Bricks and hot coals that are on fire than have sex.

Idk it just sounds so groossss and weirddd and yuck. Other people can have sex all they want, just don't get me involved.

For me, sex doesn't exist. It's more like a fairy tale that I refuse to believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoo boy, from where do I start. I came back into this account to respond to this poll because it really resonates with me. I tend to fluctuate between repulsion (at worst) to aversion (at best).

1.) All of these are true for  me, although each of them are on different levels. Contradiction is probably the highest and Conflicting curiosity is the lowest.

2.) Again, all of them are true, except "Inequality, sociopolitical objection of sex". Nudity is by far the highest, thought it's mostly because I'm very uncomfortable by the prospect of being seen naked, which correlates a lot with my fear and anxiety. It's so bad that I have the classic "being naked in public" nightmare theme from time to time. The sounds and fluids are also somewhere up in there, tho they are mostly theoretical.

3.) Strong physical symptoms (mostly upset stomach pains; at worst, I can *cough* vomit).

4.) Only feel uncomfortable if it's about me. I don't have problems when others do it (as long as it's legal).

Member131995

Okay so...maybe I am sex averse. I was actually talking to my partner the other day and I told her, "I'm not sex averse, I don't think, I mean the thought of other people doing it doesn't bother me". 

Although, what other people do as far as sex goes doesn't bother me, unless I have to see it, hear about it, think about it, or talk about it.

Now as for me, I have zero desire to engage in it. I've already from a young age had no desire for it and have always been physically and emotionally repulsed just thinking about being involved in it. It bothers me just writing about it now...

Member131995
On 2/28/2019 at 4:32 PM, Strifed said:

Also, it is also nice to see other people with strong negative reactions to sex. I opened up a while ago somewhere else that I felt extremely sick to the point I was going to vomit at the thought of sex, and no one was helpful at all and just told me I was "messed up". :< So it is nice to see other people that feel the same way I do, even though the feelings themselves are uncomfortable and not pleasant... (I hope that made sense ☠️)

Just went back and was reading a few responses and just ugh😡 at those people who said you were messed up for having a strong negative reaction to the thought of sex. Just...I can't, that's so mean.

This is not something I really like sharing, I've always felt this way about sex but since I was actually recently taken advantage of, it's actually gotten worse. So, I relate. And I think people are really insensitive to be unhelpful to you when you experience that. I'd be like, okay, let's change the subject. 

I always say, sometimes people are so narrow minded. I mean, they feel like it's okay to call you "messed up" or tell you to just "grow up" about something you have a personal preference not to like. On the same token, I wonder if it's ever occurred to them that maybe other people don't like the things they like. It's such a simple concept that I feel like many people only want to apply to themselves, like they have a right not to like things, but when you don't like things they like *minds explode* so sad. Yes, what you wrote made sense..just went back to read my reply and I hope it's not too confusing.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:58 AM, Niohmaye said:

Just went back and was reading a few responses and just ugh😡 at those people who said you were messed up for having a strong negative reaction to the thought of sex. Just...I can't, that's so mean.

This is not something I really like sharing, I've always felt this way about sex but since I was actually recently taken advantage of, it's actually gotten worse. So, I relate. And I think people are really insensitive to be unhelpful to you when you experience that. I'd be like, okay, let's change the subject. 

I always say, sometimes people are so narrow minded. I mean, they feel like it's okay to call you "messed up" or tell you to just "grow up" about something you have a personal preference not to like. On the same token, I wonder if it's ever occurred to them that maybe other people don't like the things they like. It's such a simple concept that I feel like many people only want to apply to themselves, like they have a right not to like things, but when you don't like things they like *minds explode* so sad. Yes, what you wrote made sense..just went back to read my reply and I hope it's not too confusing.

Ikr? it really hurt back then because I was trying to get help for how I was feeling, and it's just unhelpful to tell someone who is struggling to understand their feelings, "You're ****ed up!!!" 

I'm sorry to hear that... :( and nope your reply wasn't confusing to read at all! And yes, sometimes I feel too like people are insensitive to things like that. It's just an empathy thing, some people just don't have it I believe. They can only think about how they would do things or what they believe in/etc, and frown upon other people's feelings or lifestyles... or just don't care ☠️ It's a shame, but luckily there are people that are more open minded out there

• 11 months later...

@Nowhere Girl

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived