Ace songs

The Sadmoose

I want to listen to more asexual songs, but it's so hard to find any. I found a few Spotify playlists labeled 'Asexual' but they weren't really that great, so I thought who better to ask then other ace folk! Some good ones that I've found are;

For me~Dearlie

We don't have to take our clothes off~Ella Eyre

Talk me down~Troye Sivan

Buy me diamonds~Bea Miller

Somebody else~The 1975

(Arguably)Bad at love~Halsey

I only found one other topic about this which was last updated in 2008, so I thought it'd be nice to bring it back. Hopefully we can all make a cool ace pride playlist as the suggestions come in

It's not necessarily an ace song, but as a romantic ace, I can kind of relate to it:  "Broken" by Lovelytheband 

95% of the songs on the radios these days are about sex, parties or boys/girls/whatever. Boring. Hope these ace songs spice things up!

Not intended to be an ace song, but large parts of it sound like it is: Solo by Clean Bandit & Demi Lovato

• 1 month later...

"Me Myself and I" by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha sounds like a very ace/aro song, especially the chorus sung by Bebe Rexha.

This is the chorus:

Oh, it's just me, myself and I
Solo ride until I die
'Cause I got me for life
(Got me for life, yeah)
Oh I don't need a hand to hold
Even when the night is cold
I got that fire in my soul

I don't need anything to get me through the night
Except the beat that's in my heart
Yeah, it's keeping me alive
(Keeps me alive)
I don't need anything to make me satisfied (You know)
'Cause the music fills me good and it gets me every time

QueenOfTheRats

"I am human and I need to be loved 
Just like everybody else does."

Morrissey is asexual. 

Pumpkins_and_penguins

I really like Nothing more by the alternate roots as a song about love that doesn't have to be sexual

• 3 weeks later...

The song "Hiljaisuus" ("Silence") by artist Irina! I think it's actually about allosexual relationship with lost passion or having trust issues... Anyhow, I think especially the chorus sounds pretty ace :D

The translation:

I hear steps in the hallway,

You throw yourself next to me, making space to yourself.

You don't say a word,

You just stare my neck,

While I'm pretending to be asleep.

Too often I miss the moments,

When I could fall asleep and wake up alone,

I wouldn't have to be anxious,

And make sense of my inner world,

While I don't have a clue about it... even myself.

Hmm...

Chorus:

I know, it's difficult for you to understand,

I want you close to me but I don't want you to touch me.

And oh, if that only was enough for you too,

So that this thing could keep going so much easier.

For me, this deep silence, 

Is better than yet another poor new lie.

I can't speak frankly, 

I can't say "yeah, I'm still anxious".

As we would keep mulling that over and over again. 

And yeah, 

Chorus:

I know, it's difficult for you to understand,

I want you close to me but I don't want you to touch me.

And oh, if that only was enough for you too,

So that this thing could keep going so much easier.

Ooh, yeah...

Well, this isn't easy for me either.

I just can't tell,

What bothers me.

Yeah... and I know, that you can't keep going like this for much longer.

This silence might kill us.

Mmm... this silence might kill us...

On 4/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, QueenOfTheRats said:

"I am human and I need to be loved 
Just like everybody else does."

Morrissey is asexual. 

Oh this song! This used to be my jam as a kid, but I didn't know the name so I never found it. Must be destiny :D thank you!

chairdesklamp

@The Sadmoose

Is "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off" anything like this one?

I love this song. You don't really hear it anymore, but I remember randomly it came on the radio last year as I was seeing if I could just walk to the Goodwill Last Chance on a day off. (The answer was "no" and "ow.")  and I'm just smiling from ear-to-ear, singing along with my headphones at the top of my lungs, looking like a crazy person, but it's not like I cared.

Sadly, I lost my tape of it decades ago, and it's not exactly one of the more common ones at used record stores

(I could get a CD, but I've had very bad experiences with their fragility)

@naakka Unfortunately that video is blocked in some countries (licensing. I own tapes where I can't listen to the songs on YouTube for the same reason, e.g. "Thank You Everyday" by Kisugi Takao)

@chairdesklamp oh, that didn't come to my mind ^^' well, if you search "Irina hiljaisuus" on youtube, there's several videos for the same song, also covers, so maybe some of those work? I mean, if people are that interested :D

chairdesklamp
5 minutes ago, naakka said:

@chairdesklamp oh, that didn't come to my mind ^^' well, if you search "Irina hiljaisuus" on youtube, there's several videos for the same song, also covers, so maybe some of those work? I mean, if people are that interested :D

I found one. I was kinda curious if it was Irina Shvedova (RU) and she'd dumped her last name, but definitely not.

You know, in places, it reminded me a bit of Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down." Very Heartland Rock-y in the beginning.

Where's that from?

3 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

I found one. I was kinda curious if it was Irina Shvedova (RU) and she'd dumped her last name, but definitely not.

You know, in places, it reminded me a bit of Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down." Very Heartland Rock-y in the beginning.

Where's that from?

She's Irina Saari and she's from Finland (I'm Finn) :)

Oh, the beat is definitely similar! Somehow Hiljaisuus sounds more sad. But maybe it's just me as the feel in the lyrics is like that :D

chairdesklamp

@naakka Yeah, Finnish is a language I definitely don't speak, despite having had people assume speaking three languages means I just speak everything, haha.

Yay, thank you! I now know a Finnish artist (I don't need to know a single word in a language to enjoy music in it. I love the band Elan--actually thought they were singing in Czech until last year when someone told me it was in Slovak) 

13 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

@naakka Yeah, Finnish is a language I definitely don't speak, despite having had people assume speaking three languages means I just speak everything, haha.

Yay, thank you! I now know a Finnish artist (I don't need to know a single word in a language to enjoy music in it. I love the band Elan--actually thought they were singing in Czech until last year when someone told me it was in Slovak) 

Well, if you don't happen to know Estonian or the other Finno-Ugrig languages spoken around the Nordics and Russia, you can't have a clue about it :D it goes the other way around as well; if Finnish is your native, you can't have a clue about the Germanic languages (and thus we start to learn them at school at early age).

I'm happy to help you find one ^^ indeed you can enjoy music, the atmosphere, without knowing a word! Sometimes it's even a disappointment when you finally check out the lyrics :D it's also nice to get familiar with unfamiliar languages by music. Finnish pop is worth checking out if you prefer melancholic pop with occasional maniac exceptations... or metal... a lots of metal ;D

chairdesklamp

@naakka I do like metal: Ozzy, Blizard, Loudness, Dio, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush...

@chairdesklamp That's great! I in turn don't know that much about metal... even though I do like some certain songs or covers made by metal artists :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ever heard of Cavetown? The guy who writes the songs is actually aro ace himself. Not all of the songs are directly about being ace, but I think it's pretty good.

The Sadmoose
On 6/5/2019 at 4:32 PM, i aced it said:

Ever heard of Cavetown? The guy who writes the songs is actually aro ace himself. Not all of the songs are directly about being ace, but I think it's pretty good.

Cavetown is my baby boy I love him

• 2 months later...

I don't know what about "Kissaphobic" by Make Out Monday makes me feel so asexy. 

Cupid is stupid he shot the wrong lovers

I want to hold your hand!

• 4 weeks later...

Today I found a song called "Good Thing" by Zedd and Kehlani. Some of the lyrics are VERY ace/aro, including:

"I've always been told, one day I'll find
Somebody who changes my mind
If they come along, I won't think twice"

and

"I'm not always selfish, just bad at romance, it's not in my bones"

The singer is also queer + pansexual (according to wikipedia), so even though she's not ace or aro it's still cool to know she is LGBT!

My favourite ace songs are the one's that have absolutely nothing to do with relationships. Like, ones that sing about dealing with life, how to find your way, how hardships make you stronger, how to appreciate the little great things in life etc. Lately I've been listening to "Free" by Elliott Yamin. A really uplifting and empowering song, and his voice fits so well for it! It's also super easy to relate to the song as if it was sung for aces :D

Archived