Advice on starting a blog

everywhere and nowhere

everywhere and nowhere

I'm thinking about starting an asexuality-related blog and I'm hoping for some advice from people who have some experience in the area of blogging.

I don't have a lot of spare money, so only free platforms are in question. I also exclude Tumblr because it doesn't has a proper archive - for me easy access to older posts is an important feature of any blog (which is also why I think that using Facebook for blogging is a bad idea). I'd prefer Wordpress because it's a well-proven platform for good old blogging and not just "microblogs". Does anyone know how does Wordpress handle tags? Can I not only list them on the bottom of the post, but also provide a full list of tags I have already used somewhere at the side?

How do you, actually, start a blog? I mean: what to write as an introduction? I'm bad with that kind of stuff, for example I think that when I started visiting this forum, I haven't even posted anything to the Welcome Lounge, but just jumped straight into discussions...

I also have some considerations about the language issue. On the one hand I would like my blog to be accessible to the English-speaking asexual community. But, on the other hand, Poland needs asexual education even more. Is there such a thing as bilingual blogs? Or is it possible in theory, but in practice could scare off both readers who don't speak Polish and readers who don't speak English?

RatherBeReading

I'm definitely not an expert as I only blog as a hobby, but there are some really good resources out there. Wordpress is great, I have a paid plan so I can have my own domain, but if you're not fussed about that, the free plan is just as good. It has lots of plugins so I'm sure there's something for the tags thing that you want - WordPress has 'tags' and 'categories', and it definitely has what you're describing for Categories (because I have it on my site) so I wouldn't be surprised if it had a similar feature for tags. And if not, the Categories one works just as well.

The crucial part really is your About page more than your introductory post, as that is where people will go to find out what your blog is all about. If you search for 'how to write an about page', there's loads of really good advice out there.

I think the language part is up to you - I haven't seen many bilingual blogs (maybe one or two?) so you might even want to have two separate ones, one English and one Polish, and you could post the same content in translation? Whatever works for you really. The important thing to remember is it's your website, so you can do whatever you want with it!

The best thing to do before starting is research - check out similar blogs to what you want yours to look like, and check out blogs about blogging for helpful tips x

Archived