a-dar

(SP)

it would also be nice if there was no confusion between detecting an asexual & a gay person. in other words, you the person is either one of the 2 if they don't look at your assets like they're lunch. :?

it would also be nice if there was no confusion between detecting an asexual & a gay person. in other words, you the person is either one of the 2 if they don't look at your assets like they're lunch. :?
Yeah :? it'd be easier if others would know what everyone was so they don't go hitting on someone who doesn't want to be hit on by them :? Then again.... can we find a way so people know, but don't judge? :?

I wouldn't mind something like a holographic icon that appears over a person's head that only you could see. Kinda like characters in Metal Gear Solid.

VivreEstEsperer

wouldnt that be nice, though?

we should come up with a secret asexual symbol.

if we had a-dar we could detect each other just by looking, and sensing

That's a great idea. Now we need to modify the a-dar for purposes of fire control.

secret asexual symbol? how about 3 fingers stuck together w/ the hidden caption "read between the lines"?

we should have a ring with some sort of a symbol on it. Make it a pretty one though. Or better yet any piece of jewelry.

Hey maybe we could have written on it asexual a secret language-elvish perhaps :P

I like that, Aury, but it looks rather like the girl scout salute.

EDIT: What about a hand doing the 'Stop' sign? As in 'Do not go any farther, do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not make a pass and lose your life?'

Cate

why do my vegan gummy bears have tails on them? :? ... :shock: ... sorry... strayed for a moment there... :?

anyway, we can try to lok for one here:

www.symbols.com

You know, a no-sex symbol I once played around with was the same form as the male-female sex symbol (the circle with both the male arrow and the female cross). Where the male arrow would normally stop at the circumference of the circle, the no-sex version continues the tail of the arrow across the diameter of the circle, forming a sort of "NO" sign. Like the sort you'd see on a "No Smoking" sign.

<delurks>

Ooh, idea. What we need is a symbol that we can sort of always have on. The problem with a hand signal is that we would need to be doing it all the time in order for other asexuals to notice us. I like the suggestion of some sort of jewelry. But what about painting one of our fingernails a certain color? Or just putting a stripe down one of them or something. Something very small, but that way we can be on the lookout for others with that certain nail painted that certain color that certain way. Also, if anyone asks us about it, it will be an opportunity to tell them about asexuality, or to tell them nothing and feel smug about keeping it a secret.

A symbol of a hand doing a stop sign was my suggestion, not that we all walk around doing the hand signal, though that would be hysterical. Every time you met someone you'd do the 'stop' gesture. Most people would think you were nuts. At least they wouldn't ask you out. Hmmmm, htat might not be a bad idea.

Cate

Magrat: Welcome to AVEN :D

Cate: My worry would be that some people like people who they think are crazy, and they would be really hard to get rid of :? But it would be really funny to have a group of asexuals going around like that :lol: and it would stop most people :D

A symbol of a hand doing a stop sign was my suggestion, not that we all walk around doing the hand signal, though that would be hysterical. Every time you met someone you'd do the 'stop' gesture. Most people would think you were nuts. At least they wouldn't ask you out. Hmmmm, htat might not be a bad idea.

LOL at Cate :lol:

I know! Every time you meet someone, you hold up a stopsign. It'd serve 3 purposes.

1: The asexuals could find each other.

2: The hornies wouldn't ask them out.

3: The hornies would run away thinking they'd happened upon an escaped mental case.

Hey, that's a pretty good idea. I should be king.

sorry, i have to say my a-dar is nonexistent. celebrity gay-dar, however, is pretty damn sharp. :wink:

asexual symbols, eh? how about an inverted triange encircled by a circle, or zero? the triangle can symbolize our AVEN symbol/queerness and the circle can be like a zero, as in zero sex-drive. it would also kinda remind you of the anarchy sign. we're sexual anarchists!

why not something simple like a ribbon? i'm not sure what colors because they all seem to be taken by something but perhaps we could put two colors together...

Live R Perfect

I've had a go at designing an Asexual symbol, inspired by this thread, but I couldn't remember where this thread was, so I started a new one on the Announcements Forum. Check it out, if you're interested! :D

why not something simple like a ribbon? i'm not sure what colors because they all seem to be taken by something but perhaps we could put two colors together...

i like this idea. maybe a nice shade of...white? well, pink, yellow, and red are off, being the most visible.

I don't have a-dar or gay-dar. I don't want a symbol, handshake, ribbon, rude sign, secret button or anything. I don't think it's necessary to tell people I'm "A" until it's relevant to any conversation. I don't need to stand out. The best thing for me would be for people to understand when they ask if I want to date/fuck (sometimes they ask the latter first) and I say 'no', that's what I mean. I want the world to get a clue. All the symbols and buttons won't help dumbasses who think there's something wrong with ME because I don't want to bone them. All the buttons and tags would remind me of the yellow star (I can say that, I'm a Jew LOL). I don't want to wear something so people know "what" I am, I want them to talk to me and find out "who" I am, and appreciate that...or hate me, I don't care either way.

I'm always for education rather than demonstration & as for those who can't be educated, I always think of the advice "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig."

I'm always for education rather than demonstration & as for those who can't be educated, I always think of the advice "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig."

*nods*

You can't change a mind. All you can do is give the person information and it's up to them whether they accept it or not. There is nothing you can do otherwise.

I agree with cijay in that what I am really isn't the most important part of me, and once people know, they won't care about anything else really, you are defined by your orientation. Only within a community where you are amoung the majority do people look beyond your orientation, so I wouldn't want a symbol out in front to define me. In most communities, no one cares if someone is straight, for example, qand they look for more info to get to know that person, but if someone is homosexual, then that's all the community *needs* to know. If someone asks, sure I'll tell them, but if they don't, I don't see I need to tell them so they can just assume things about me.

Archived