Difference between a "crush" and a "squish"?

Acebooklove

Hi! I just had this question. 

I know that a squish is the ace way of a crush, or just wishing a certain person was closer to you but: ¿ How do you tell the difference between both?

Thanks

AVeryTakenUsername

A squish is basically the platonic friend version of it. You can want to be closer to them or be closer friends but there are no romantic feelings involved.

You can actually have a crush as an ace. It's about the same as when most people have a crush, actually. The only difference is the lack of sexual attraction to said person.

Basically a squish = No romantic feelings. Crush = Romantic feelings

firewallflower

The typical distinction that I know of is that a crush is characterized by romantic feelings/a desire for a romantic relationship with the object of your crush, whereas a squish would be more platonic in nature. (Which just takes the question one step further, to the difference between romantic and platonic attraction, which is a pretty subjective question itself, but that's another matter.) So, with a crush you might want to, for example, date the person in question, while with a squish you might want to be close friends with them.

I'm not sure if you're talking about your own feelings or if this is just a general question. If the former, of course, identifying these specifics in your own feelings is pretty complicated, not least because ultimately it's possible for anyone to truly, fully know how someone else feels. But I'd put forward the idea that the differentiation may not be as important as it seems. As long as you can accept/work with your feelings for someone, how much does it really matter whether you call it a crush, a squish, or neither? ☺️

In some ways, at least for me, a squish looks similar to a crush. I think about them a lot, I care a lot about what they think of me, I want to spend as much time around them as possible. But would I want to kiss them or date them? No. It just doesn't feel romantic.

I've had squishes and crushes before.
I've had squishes for both people I wasn't friends with and people I am friends with.
Having a squish for me is when you feel something grand for a person you're not that close to and you want to become so much closer to them as a friend.
It's connected to a feeling of fascination with someone. You can feel jealous of their friends for getting to hang out with them.
It's not a regular "I want to be your friend" because it's accompanied with a "grand feeling" as I've mentioned before.
A crush is with romantic feelings, such as to maybe hug them a lot, buy them lots of things, eventually kiss them, etc.

27 minutes ago, lonelyace said:

In some ways, at least for me, a squish looks similar to a crush. I think about them a lot, I care a lot about what they think of me, I want to spend as much time around them as possible. But would I want to kiss them or date them? No. It just doesn't feel romantic.

I feel this way too, and everyone else explained it well. Squish= strong platonic feelings. Crush= desire to be with someone romantically. I think everyone experiences it differently though. I tend to have more squishy feelings for men than woman, and the feelings can get really intense to the point I have confused it with a crush in the past. I just care about that person a lot, when I first meet them and we get along I want them to have a good impression of me, I want to hang out with them a bit, and I want to be closer to them in a friendly way.

Custard Cream

I'm no doubt wrong, but I've always thought of a crush as being unrequited - ie, once you start dating it isn't a crush any more - and a squish being kind if the same thing but mutual and without the sexual bit...

Anonymous123456
4 hours ago, CustardCream said:

I'm no doubt wrong, but I've always thought of a crush as being unrequited - ie, once you start dating it isn't a crush any more - and a squish being kind if the same thing but mutual and without the sexual bit...

That’s a decent point actually. Crushes typically are unrequited, but not necessarily by definition, as some do eventually lead to a relationship. Not always a sexual attraction though. I’d agree with the distinction for a squish, and sometimes it can start off mutual if you two are already friends (and want to be closer). Or it can be you’re not yet acquainted but feel like you want to get to know them a lot better. Either way, the subject may not always want to be closer, so that can be unrequited too.

The Incarnation Of Boredom
On 2/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, Denoscar said:

I've had squishes and crushes before.
I've had squishes for both people I wasn't friends with and people I am friends with.
Having a squish for me is when you feel something grand for a person you're not that close to and you want to become so much closer to them as a friend.
It's connected to a feeling of fascination with someone. You can feel jealous of their friends for getting to hang out with them.
It's not a regular "I want to be your friend" because it's accompanied with a "grand feeling" as I've mentioned before.
A crush is with romantic feelings, such as to maybe hug them a lot, buy them lots of things, eventually kiss them, etc.

Yup, exactly.

The Incarnation Of Boredom

My main way to differentiate is I ask myself "would I kiss them?" And if the answers no it's a squish, if the answers yes its a crush. Of course this does not work if I only just met the person because intense romantic feelings may not have developed yet... It usually takes at least one very stressful week of knowing the person for me to be sure.

Everyone has provided some super definitions. It's helping me figure out this crush/squish thing I had a few years ago.  There was this coworker who I suddenly found fascinating- appearance, interests, life experiences. 

I wanted to spend as much time around him as possible. I wanted to talk to him and him to tell me about himself.  I wanted him to feel all that for me too.  I don't think I wanted anything romantic. 

Either he was never interested in me or I freaked him out but it was clear he didn't feel the same.  

In a lot of ways I think it was a squish but I actually cried when I realized it was unrequited.  This was the first and only time I've felt this way about anyone.  Ugh, long story short- it's been bugging me. 

Archived