I am Birmingham — "I’m asexual and we’re 'as common as redheads'”

Homer

Let’s be clear about one thing: life is baffling for everyone. For some people, though, the way society is geared creates extra layers of confusion and alienation to deal with, on top of the existential comedy of (t)errors we call modern life.

Feb 20, 2019 - https://www.iambirmingham.co.uk/2019/02/17/asexuality-asexual-as-common-as-redheads-by-katy-knight/

"or psychopaths" Oh gee, thanks. :huh:

I wonder if the 1% figure for redheads is worldwide. If so, I think it's a misleading comparison in places like the UK that will have a lot more redheads due to prevalent gene pools, and other parts of the world where there are virtually none. But I might be too nitpicky of an informal personal essay here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

for some reason i read "i'm asexual and that's common for rednecks"

1 hour ago, natural blue said:

for some reason i read "i'm asexual and that's common for rednecks"

What, you didn't know? 🤣

A few people in my family are redheads, but I'm the only one I know of who's ace.

Overall, I liked this article.

I did wince at the reference to psychopaths, though, and I query the ‘as common as redheads’ thing for exactly the same reasons as Snoa Cone. Prevalence of redheads depends on where you live.

According to an article I found (https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/hair/a32357/redhead-facts/ , which may or may not be right) 2% of the world’s population are redheads, and they’re commonest in Scotland (13%). (Anecdotally, I’m in Scotland, and way less than 13% of the people I know are redheads; I don’t believe everyone is hiding ginger under hair dye, though.)

Archived