AVENite typing preferences  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which method do you type with?

• Hunt-and-peck, one hand
    • Hunt-and-peck, two hands
    • Touch type, one hand
    • Touch type, two hands
    • Other (explain below)
  2. 2. What is your preferred keyboard layout?

• QWERTY
    • AZERTY
    • Dvorak
    • QWERTZ
    • ЙЦУКЕН/Cyrillic
    • Other (explain below)
  3. 3. How fast do you type?

• H... o... l... d... o... n... a... m... i... n... u... t... e...
    • Slow
    • Average
    • Fast
    • Secretarial lightning speed!!!
  4. 4. What type of keys do you prefer?

• Non-mechanical/rubber/silicone (most modern keyboards)
    • Mechanical/"clicky" (think computers from the 80s and 90s)
    • I hate physical keys, give me a touch screen
    • No preference
    • Wait, there are different kinds?!
  5. 5. How do you feel about the sound of typing keys?

• Like nails on a chalkboard! No, make it stooooop!
    • Don't care/Can't hear it
    • I love it! So percussive!
  6. 6. Do you like typing or writing more?

• Typing
    • Writing
    • Both, depends
    • Neither, I will shout all my thoughts to the world!!

This poll is closed to new votes

- Touch-type, two hands

- QWERTY

- "Secretarial lightning speed!"

- Mechanical/clicky

- Don't care

- Typing

I've been touch-typing on a QWERTY keyboard since I was something like three or four years old, so using any other keyboard layout really throws me off now. I don't have anything else against other layouts - some might actually make more sense - but I can't touch-type on them because I don't know where everything is. I type pretty quickly; usually when I take a test I get between 125 and 135 words per minute.

I like mechanical keyboards the best because the way they feel is what I'm most used to, but I'm quite neutral about the sound. I really don't care. They're a bit louder, but all keyboards are at least somewhat loud to me. I hate touch screens. I'm really bad at typing on them, or even using them in general.

I much prefer typing. I make a lot of mistakes when I'm writing by hand, and for whatever reason, I make a lot less when I'm typing (and those I do make are much easier to correct).

Sweet Potato

two hand touch type. normal modern keyboard. I can pull 42 words per minute which is very slightly above average, far from professional. 
typing was a skill learned in school starting in grade 4. at one point I rated 65 wpm, but that kind of skill takes constant use to keep.

some weird hybrid of type. normal keyboard so qwerty, I'm guessing average? don't care on sounds and both

Sweet Potato
On 2/20/2019 at 2:09 PM, Grimalkin said:

When I was 12 I taught myself to type lightning fast with both hands because you had to be quick to keep up with all the people running scripts in the RuneScape marketplace.

lol! my fastest typing was playing chat room trivia, first to answer wins. type fast or loose.

I tend to write fast, but I also tend to make a lot of mistakes so it balances out. 

• 2 months later...
Irring On The Human Side

I personally type an unusual way, three-four fingers on the left hand are used, two fingers on the right hand are used, the keyboard is watched, not the screen. There are minimal errors made, but slightly slower than average typing speed.

Alawyn-Aebt

I hunt-and-peck type using usually minimum 4 fingers, Right index and middle and Left index and middle. I always hit shift, tab, caps lock, and enter though with my ring finger, both left and right, depending on what is closest.

I have no preference for keyboards, as long as I know where the keys are. QWERTY is the standard one in the USA though, so I know it well and use it the most.

I learned to touch-type on a QWERTY keyboard and have been doing it ever since. However, I don't touch type the row with the number keys except for when I need a dash. Hunting and pecking is an annoyance to me which is one reason I don't care much for using my mom's iPad. I can't look at the keyboard while touch-typing, it just throws me off. I don't have any experience with the other types mentioned; I wonder if touch-typing on those is much of a learning curve.

The last time I took a speed test which was several years ago I topped out around 50 WPM which I guess is about average. I have some trouble with keys that are totally flat or don't have much travel. I don't know what to call the old Commodore 64 keyboards, at least not without using a pseudo-cuss word; the keys are way too stiff, the punctuation keys are in weird places and there are only two cursor keys.

• 9 months later...

@RoseGoesToYale

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived