Once Upon a Bus

Yeast

As planned, I made an effort to visit the optometrist and set up an appointment. My navigation application indicated that bus 37 at the transit center would take me to Speedway. It deposited me within easy walking distance of my destination. As I strolled towards the office I once again began to feel empowered. I’d met this challenge to my vision and succeeded. Soon it would all be over.

Maybe.

I identified myself and what insurance I had. The receptionist bustled momentarily about and then announced my policy would not accept any more claims until May. MAY?!! Oh, crap. 2 more weeks of my current existence had suddenly become the next 10. What could I do? It would be very reckless to pay what is probably going to be close to another 1000 dollar expense myself. Best to wait. Best to continue to ride the bus. Best to take those long hikes to and from the book store. Best to arrive bright and early at the Excel center in my steel chariot. Best to stand out on the bus stop in the rain and cold.

Well, maybe not …

I decided to get a few groceries and rode bus 8 all the way to Meijer’s. I collected what I needed and hoped the bag would hold everything until I got home. As I boarded the bus for my return trip I glanced out the left window and saw a young woman approaching. She waved to the operator, leaving me thinking it might have been another driver. However there were nothing but apartments to the left. Drivers often go into the store instead and get coffee. The young woman took a seat close to me and began a cheerful conversation. Her soft, quiet voice was hard to decipher with all the rest of the noise. I also noticed she had what appeared to be a large scab on her upper lip just under her nose. What was this? Herpes? I ignored it though as she continued to talk.

My acquaintance seemed obsessed with Valentine’s day. Of course this was last week. No matter. How was mine? Just the same as its always been. Another day completely by myself. Asked about friends and family I just admitted I had none. She seemed to be having a hard time comprehending how alone I’d been all my life. Sure, I once had a family. It died a very long time ago. There’s my sister of course but I preferred to let her remain the monster in my closet. Well, there’s God so you’re not alone. I’m agnostic. I finally decided to try and help by declaring I have myself for company. This seemed to satisfy her for the moment.

The bus continued to crash along as the woman took the shreds of an old envelope from her pocket upon which was written a short note. It seemed an explanation about something but it made about as much sense to me as Wonderland had made sense to Alice. My ephemeral friend lamented that people thought she was stupid. I told her she wasn’t stupid and our fists met briefly in a gentle gesture of appreciation. I was then handed a dollar bill. Wonderland is an odd place, especially on a bus. Some feisty little fellow had boarded and the woman seemed delighted to talk to him as well. As she departed the man asked for her phone number. She said she didn’t have a phone. He offered to buy her one. Drunken women have a reputation of being easy to seduce. Maybe this guy thought it applied to crazy women too. The bus started again and the fellow announced he had been handed 5 dollars. He mused that perhaps he would write his number on it and hand it back to her the next time they met. This guy seemed a bit of a sleazy creep to me. Herpes would be the perfect gift for him.

I washed my fist when I got home. I’ll put the dollar somewhere I can look at it and remember another comet which had briefly crossed my orbit. I suppose this character with no name has returned to the deep space which spawned her. Will we meet again?

Tomorrow perhaps I ought to try and contact the IRS and solve the tax problem that has been haunting me nearly an entire year. Then there’s critter control to conduct further business with. Odd to think the Darwin tulips I planted last fall will probably be blooming by the time I can drive again. When I can fully see again as well. Until then  my life on the bus continues a little while longer.

Stay tuned …

• 4 months later...
imnotafreakofnature!

So are there any updates yet.......?

Archived