Netflix series that “appeal” to aces?

HomeBirdJen

First of all, forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I was recommended by a couple of people who know nothing of my orientation to watch the shows “Sex Education” and “You” on Netflix. But I’ve realised there’s only so much sexual content I can handle these days without rolling my eyes and thinking ‘get on with the storyline!’ 

Anyone have any recommendations as to “ace-friendly” content to stream? I’m okay with a little bit of sexual content here and there, but the shows I mentioned seemed to have it in abundance (a show called Sex Education, what was I expecting 😂) I’m not sex-repulsed, but I just seem to notice it more in storylines these days.

I’m mostly into crime drama, sometimes true crime; and lifestyle or nature documentaries, and I’ve just finished Nightflyers, which I enjoyed.

🍰☺️

Watch Bojack Horseman. Yes it’s a cartoon horse, but one of the characters comes out as ace and FOR ONCE they get it right-he’s not broken, cold or traumatized. He’s just asexual. If you don’t want to watch the whole series he comes out in the start of the 4th season.  It’s how I realized that Asexuality was a thing and that this is what I was. 

I suggest Unabomber it was really interesting and is a true story. Not many episodes but it was intense. 

I also struggled with YOU but that was also the idea it is based on as well so I just went with it. 

Have you watched Mindhunter? It's about how they started the profiler division of the fbi. Some sexual content but very dark. 

To Each Their Own

The Umbrella Academy didn’t have any sex scenes in it, but there is one scene where the sex is implied (two people wake up next to each other). Otherwise, people just say they had sex but we don’t see it. 

The series was such a fast-paced fun ride that I binged it in two days. 

You stops the sexual content as much later in the series. And it at least ties into the story, unlike most Netflix originals (omg seriously Netflix, you dont need so much sex in every show...). 

Safe was largely non-sexual, though a couple of soft sexualized scenes. And its crime mystery sort of. Uhm. Ok cant think of many Netflix originals without sex...

But a good trick I use before watching stuff is IMDB has a parents guide on everything and it lists how much sex is in it, how graphic, etc. I look practically everything up there before watching since I hate nudity in shows (it is as uncomfy as a friend/stranger stripping in the room with me, ew, only one person i wanna see naked thanks!). 

1 hour ago, Mrs said:

Watch Bojack Horseman. Yes it’s a cartoon horse, but one of the characters comes out as ace and FOR ONCE they get it right-he’s not broken, cold or traumatized. He’s just asexual. If you don’t want to watch the whole series he comes out in the start of the 4th season.  It’s how I realized that Asexuality was a thing and that this is what I was. 

The whole thing is brilliant so worth watching anyway, but the ace representation is done brilliantly. I was bribed into watching it and then I got hooked.

58 minutes ago, To Each Their Own said:

The Umbrella Academy didn’t have any sex scenes in it, but there is one scene where the sex is implied (two people wake up next to each other). Otherwise, people just say they had sex but we don’t see it. 

Will back up The Umbrella Academy. Quite the cast of characters, including a ghost. Nothing overt, pretty much fade to black or implied and one surprisingly sweet romance. This one's about solving a mystery and stopping the end of the world so there are more important things to deal with.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, To Each Their Own said:

SAME. It's something exciting a different with the added bonus of the main type of relationship focus is that on family.

It blew my mind. 

Idk honestly, but my only piece of advice is that you avoid Riverdale because they turned ONE OF US (an asexual) jughead into a heterosexual. Seriously, turning LGBT+ people into heterosexuals? I hope whoever made that decision goes to Hell.

I guess it depends how much sex is gratuitous. GLOW has some sex scenes in the first episode but other than that the sex scenes are very limited. Other than that I would maybe recommend Netflix documentaries. I watched one recently on the Alt Right and found zero sex.  I would not suggest Narcos as there is quite a bit of sex at least in the first season. 

• 5 months later...

Switched over to Amazon Prime now but when I did have Netflix...

- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

- Stranger Things 1, 2 (and now 3)

- Lost in Space

- One Day At A Time 

Crazy Cat Lady
On 2/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, HomeBirdJen said:

I’m mostly into crime drama, sometimes true crime; and lifestyle or nature documentaries, and I’ve just finished Nightflyers, which I enjoyed.

🍰☺️

Since you mentioned nature documentaries, have you tried "Planet Earth"? I quite like that one.

Greyberries

Im surprised no ones mentioned this but i recommend The Alienist! It’s fairly new and set in late 1800s new york. An alienist is what they used to call a criminal psychologist, so it’s about a psychologist solving a serial killer case of young boys found horrifically butchered. 

I was pleasantly surprised with how it pandered to my thirst of crime thrillers. The only thing is that it was too graphic and gruesome for me. Like they would really zoom in on those decapitated body parts. However, no sex scenes!

They are Netflix originals, but I recommend the Marvel shows. Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist. Some sex, but mostly solving and fighting crime. 

Fighting_For_Us

Another vote for Umbrella Academy and Stranger things! Stranger things (especially season 3) has a lot of romance, but not really anything sexual. Plus the kids are hilarious, especially Dustin. :) 

Another older one is White Collar, it follows a con man helping an FBI agent and is awesome. There's some romance (including an actually healthy marriage, which is refreshing), but from what I recall very little sexual content. Plenty of flirting though since the con man is very much a 'ladies man'. But the characters are all very unique and have in-depth arcs. It's great! 

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2019 at 1:22 PM, Greyberries said:

Im surprised no ones mentioned this but i recommend The Alienist! It’s fairly new and set in late 1800s new york. An alienist is what they used to call a criminal psychologist, so it’s about a psychologist solving a serial killer case of young boys found horrifically butchered. 

I was pleasantly surprised with how it pandered to my thirst of crime thrillers. The only thing is that it was too graphic and gruesome for me. Like they would really zoom in on those decapitated body parts. However, no sex scenes!

It is amazing, the second season includes a sex scene, but the story is soiled as ever.

Thread locked as it’s over a year old. 

Janus DarkFox

Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

Archived