Cosmopolitan — "It's a big societal reminder that I'm different"

Homer

If you're not fed up with being bombard by ridiculous marketing emails shoehorning Valentine's Day into the least sexy of products (foot cream, seriously?!), then lucky you. But imagine what all this must feel like if you don't feel romantic or sexual attraction.

Overhearing all the talk about romance, and lovey dovey shit must feel kind of annoying and isolating for those who identify as asexual or aromantic, right?

Cosmopolitan UK spoke to three YouTube Creators about their identities and what Valentine's Day is like for them.

Feb 13, 2019 — https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/relationships/a26320354/asexual-aromantic-valentines-day/

Sure rants alot

I suppose being a bit pragmatic helps me maneuver holidays etc. much easier than some. If I feel great, know who I am, what makes me happy so why should 1 day wreck that for me. Valentines day for me is a corporate holiday where florists, jewelers, candy makers, greeting card companies glean large amounts of money making people desire that which is not needed. I've actually seen it become a competition of envious pursuits: one woman's husband gets her a diamond necklace then the woman next door only gets a heart shaped box of chocolates and all of a sudden the chocolates lose their value even though the gesture of giving them was genuinely heart felt. Of course because one woman got diamonds that must mean her partner loves her more than the partner loves the woman who only received the chocolates.

So, in true keeping with my obvious lack of romantic inclination here are my valentines day plans for 2019: vacuum, watch a couple episodes of criminal minds, go to the park and see if the blue herons have migrated in yet, read a couple of chapters of a book, laundry. In other words, just another day in the life of me and I won't feel the least bit left out of anything. 

I do feel empathy for those who do feel left out though. It must be an awful feeling. I suppose that since I'm also a bit of a pessimist that I never expect anything so when I do receive a valentines card or small gift from someone it is such a surprise that I feel complete delight and appreciation.

Okay. From the title, I thought this thread would be about how Cosmo was itself the "societal reminder", given how much it talks about sex. (Not that I ever thought much of the magazine.)

I'm pretty sure there was a Valentine's Day thread here a few weeks ago. If I'm remembering correctly, the consensus was that, aside from the candy and the heavy advertising, it'd be easy to forget about... though I guess things would be different if you're still trying to pretend that you're totally into people.

Now that I think of it, though, the fact that I barely understood the day even when I was younger might've been a hint. In that context, I'm not sure if it would count as a "reminder" or not.

Archived