Billions: Asia Kate Dillon

Dawning

I did a search, and was astonished when no threads came up about the show with what appears to be "the first non-binary character on mainstream North American television"!! And played by a non-binary actor! I glanced at the TV screen at just the right time, and the moment I saw them I knew that that's what they were, not just the character but the PERSON! I couldn't explain how I knew, granted that they have a buzz cut, but so do lots of different kinds of people… I was very excited to see them, and aesthetically drawn to them as well:

af8ca7fb-c9c9-404b-ad9c-c6dfabb3c193-ori

I'm eager to see the show, now, of course, but naturally Showtime won't be showing it for the next couple of weeks… but as soon as the new season starts, I WILL be watching it! Has anybody seen the show? I'm assuming it must be pretty good, since this is the third season. Are you as excited as I am for this non-binary breakthrough?

Sage Raven Domino

I'd be very pleased to work with Taylor if they were my colleague :blush: Their style is neat and, at the same time, not distracting from the tasks.

That's so cool!! Man I wish I had tv 😭😭 but that's amazing about the character 😁😁😁😁

I'm honestly surprised that more sci-fi shows don't have androgynous characters.  There's one episode of Star Trek with an androgynous species, some miscellaneous robots, and that's about it.  We've got books like The Left Hand of Darkness, and creatures like the asari in video games, so where are the non-binary aliens in shows?

• 4 months later...

More visibility.

I found another example of Asia Kate Dillon playing a genderfluid roll.  They play the character Valentina Romanyszyn in the Rooster Teeth animated series Gen:Lock which has some big names attached to it. 

Valentina's genderfluid reveal to her/his teammates,

keep in mind this scene takes place in a VR environment, but she talks about transitioning between female to male and back several times. 

Here is the link to IMDB for Gen:Lock so you can see the other very recognizable voices in the show.  If you want to watch it, Rooster Teeth hosts the series through their FIRST membership account. 

• 4 weeks later...

(Sorry, I ninja-surfed this. gen:LOCK is now on Adult Swim and on the Rooster Teeth site for the public and I just watched this episode and I love it all. I really want to see season 2. I prefer Yas as my girl who doesn't have enough screen time but Val/yentina is an awesome character. If you like sci-fi, mechs, and anime, it is awesome)

• 2 months later...
Back to Avalon

I don't have Showtime, so I haven't seen Billions. I saw Asia Kate Dillon on Late Night with Seth Meyers and thought their interview was interesting:

https://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth-meyers/video/asia-kate-dillons-role-on-billions-helped-inform-their-own-gender-identity/3922474

Archived