Japan's Supreme Court upholds transgender sterilization requirement

Homer

Those who wish to change their gender on official documents must have their original reproductive organs removed, according to the 2004 law.

(I don't really know where to put this, but I figured you might be interested).

Stupid.  Stupid stupid stupid.  As if the process didn't sterilize you already.

1 hour ago, alto said:

Stupid.  Stupid stupid stupid.  As if the process didn't sterilize you already.

Aren't there trans folks who don't want to go through with transition though?

16 minutes ago, Homer said:

Some who take HRT still want to have children, though (e.g., transmen briefly pausing their HRT in order to become pregnant and give birth); some aren't able to afford surgery; some can't have it, due to a medical issue; some have had bad experiences with medical professionals not respecting them or treating them kindly, etc.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/5/13/17938114/transgender-people-transitioning-surgery-medical

16 hours ago, Homer said:

There are still trans people around... Who find the relief of having HRT do enough for them. And secondary changes... What's "down there" isn't too important to get changed. Or still even like it... Or fear surgery. 

Too many things, why this requirement is stupid.

And it is basically telling people: you are not allowed to have children. 

Thanks for the link @Homer

This is just disturbing... 😧 

18 hours ago, Homer said:

As a non-binary person, I've since changed my legal name. I decided not to change my gender on legal documents, tho. 

Though I don't use the term transgender, I was planning on having some things surgically removed. I've since decided not to at this point due to various reasons, but I may change my mind down the road (I live with severe gender dysphoria, so surgery will probably end up being absolutely necessary at some point). 

Parts of the article are really disgusting. Forcing transgender people to become sterile. That it's meant to "reduce the confusion in families and society". The lawmaker that believes that Japan will collapse "if everyone becomes LGBTQ". The other lawmaker that said that same sex couples aren't "productive". 

All such bullshit! They're just feeding into stereotypes that are harmful and need to die. We are NOT contagious! 😠

Um. Yeah. It's pretty common for transmen to do this. They have to quit HRT for pregnancy (and nursing, if they can do that -- they may call it chestfeeding rather than breastfeeding).

Removing uterus & ovaries is an internal procedure. I think it's a pretty extreme and offensive viewpoint to say that a transman is expected to do that to be "valid", it's not like someone looking at them would see anything different. Disappointing.

Archived