Sedentary or Nomadic

Squirrel Combat

Sedentary or Nomadic?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Simple, live in the same town everyday or live on the road and be in a different place every week or month?

• Sedentary
    • Nomadic

This poll is closed to new votes

Squirrel Combat

I'm just curious to see who on here prefers living in the same place all the time and work the same job all the time and those who yearn for a more free life without being tied to any one place.

Why isn't there an option for both/no preference?

I like nomadic holidays (hiking) but apart from that I prefer being stationary.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the world outside my little bubble. My family drove from southern Illinois to Las Vegas and I loved seeing the sights.

I like having a home base from which I can go raiding the rest of the world.  I've only moved a couple of times in my life but have visited a large number of areas. 

I hate travelling and moving, seems like a hassle to me 

The line from state I am in by belle & Sebastian comes to mind

Stuart’s staying in ’cause he thinks it’s a sin/ That he has to leave the house at all.”

RoseGoesToYale

I love to travel, but I need somewhere constant to come back to. Some place that grounds me and makes me feel whole again. I will find that place, and then see the world.

I’d like to move from where I am currently, but then stay where I move to. Basically, I don’t like the place I live in now, but once I move to a nicer place I’d like to just stay there.

I do NOT like moving. I prefer to settle down in one spot. I do like to see other places occasionally, but even then I get nervous before going, and I'm thrilled to get back home afterwards. I'd make a much better hermit than a nomad. :) 

I like moving and changing jobs, but only every few years or so. I couldn't do it every week or month. One of the reasons I'm not interested in ever owning a home is because I don't want to be tied down to one.

Squirrel Combat
2 hours ago, alto said:

Why isn't there an option for both/no preference?

Well, I suppose anyone who doesn't post here has no preference.

I fucking hate moving. It’s the worst for my anxiety. I love to travel but I need a home base and security. I need a place that’s mine.

I would rather stay in a place that I am most familiar with. Getting used to a new place all the time would stress me out too much.

Had to tick sedentary. Whilst being nomadic has an appeal, the fear of change supercedes that. 

Because of the specific discipline of science I'm interested in (geology) I hope that in the future I'll have more opportunities to travel.

Definitely sedentary. Having a stable home gives me a sense of security, and I'm naturally a homebody. I'm probably in the minority here, but if I got a week off from work, I'd be just as happy to spend it at home then off exploring a new place or travelling.

16 minutes ago, Violet055 said:

Definitely sedentary. Having a stable home gives me a sense of security, and I'm naturally a homebody. I'm probably in the minority here, but if I got a week off from work, I'd be just as happy to spend it at home then off exploring a new place or travelling.

I don't know if you're in the minority, but you are definitely not alone. :) 

Squirrel Combat
On 2/13/2019 at 9:25 PM, chandrakirti said:

I'd happily embrace a nomadic life...one in an RV or tiny house. 

Well yeah, walking would take forever to get anywhere.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Some nomads walk. Mongolians use horses and Tibetans walk with their yak herds. 

Walking wouldn't bother me at all if it were through the steppes...

I like having a house to come home too, and a steady job. Hooooowever, I want to be nomadic. I dream of having a tiny house with a job I can while on the road, or just a monthly paycheck that would cover things. I moved around a lot as a kid, and I think that influenced my desire to go to and see many different places. 

54 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Some nomads walk. Mongolians use horses and Tibetans walk with their yak herds. 

Walking wouldn't bother me at all if it were through the steppes...

One steppe at a time, eh?

1 minute ago, daveb said:

One steppe at a time, eh?

That's terrible Daveb :P 

• 1 year later...

@Squirrel Combat

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived