Stranger Things Appreciation/Critiques

Scribbles

I've been sick the past few days, and watching Stranger Things again for the millionth time. I just wanted to share opinions and hear about the opinions of others. I'm always up for a good conversation about ST, especially season 2.

So, basically, I think season 1 is practically perfect. Everything ties together neatly. Everything has a purpose, everything makes sense. It's satisfying to watch the puzzle pieces click together. I have few complaints, and the complaints I do have are nitpicks.

Season 2, while I love it, has issues. Here's a concise list.

- The Lost Sister, as an episode feels so out of place and disconnected from everything going on. The audience has no emotional connection to these characters and I usually skip it when watching the series again. It's too bad. It's an interesting idea, but it takes you out of the show.

- It relies too much on flashbacks. Season 1 used them sparingly, but season 2 uses flashbacks to scenes earlier in the same episode. I paid attention, and they happen every episode, usually multiple times.

- Max has no purpose other than to be a love interest. I still like her, because she has so much potential and Sadie Sink is wonderful. I hope season 3 utilizes her more. Also Billy is unnecessary. 

- Eleven doesn't do much in this season, until the last few episodes, that is. And for me, that' s a problem. She makes the show. There's no show without her. The boys hold everything together for me, and keep it the same show I know and love, but I could've used Eleven being more active in the plot.

- Weirdly enough, songs are too often used. I feel like the first season had a good balance between original score and songs from the 80s to establish the time period. I feel 80s songs are too often used in season 2, usually without significance.

- I loved Jonathan and Nancy's relationship in season 1, but their romance was too rushed here. 

- WHERE DID YERTLE GO? DUSTIN JUST PUT A TORTOISE ON THE GROUND AND HE NEVER CAME BACK.

- Also, in the scene where Max calls Dustin "presumptuous" and he takes it as a compliment, I feel that's a little out of character. He's the one with the common sense. He's into science and smart and schools the boys on how compasses work, and I think he would know what "presumptuous" means. Or, maybe he does know what it means and he really does take it as a compliment. 

- Maybe it's just me, but the pop culture references feel forced in ST2. Of course they were present in the first part, but felt subtler. Like I said, maybe that's just me paying too much attention.

Okay, here's things I do like about ST2.

- Bob is a cinnamon roll

- Mike and Eleven, while their scenes together are limited, steal the show (and my heart.)

- Murray shatters the fourth wall and I like it.

- Mike and Will's friendship is pure and seeing a genuine male friendship is refreshing.

- Hopper remains complex and wonderful as ever. I don't agree or disagree on how he handled the Eleven situation, but I see he was trying his best and keeping everyone safe.

- Anne of Green Gables continuity. (Hop read it to Sara, then to El)

- Steve is great. 

- The Snowball (The song choices actually fit here. Time After Time and Every Breath You Take are perfect.)

Anyway I've rambled on long enough. I guess this topic is for anyone who wants to express their opinions on ST and debate and speculate. I've been talking about the second season, but that's just because I have more to say about it. I still love it. I guess I critique things I care about.

8 minutes ago, Scribbles said:

- The Lost Sister, as an episode feels so out of place and disconnected from everything going on. The audience has no emotional connection to these characters and I usually skip it when watching the series again. It's too bad. It's an interesting idea, but it takes you out of the show.

For me, The Lost Sister plays an important role in Eleven's character development. She needed those events or something similar to really find herself and her place. I agree though that they could have done it better. What do you think should have happened instead of that episode, or what could have been different about it?

1 minute ago, Hamsterlover said:

For me, The Lost Sister plays an important role in Eleven's character development. She needed those events or something similar to really find herself and her place. I agree though that they could have done it better. What do you think should have happened instead of that episode, or what could have been different about it?

I just feel it could have been better integrated into the events happening back at Hawkins. They could've gone back and forth, like they usually do with episodes. Going from a cliff hanger in Hawkins to an entire episode about Eleven is jarring to me. It felt a little awkward, and it could've been smoother. I see what they were trying to do, though, and it's important. 

2 minutes ago, Scribbles said:

I just feel it could have been better integrated into the events happening back at Hawkins. They could've gone back and forth, like they usually do with episodes. Going from a cliff hanger in Hawkins to an entire episode about Eleven is jarring to me. It felt a little awkward, and it could've been smoother. I see what they were trying to do, though, and it's important. 

Yeah, that makes sense. They probably could have cut some of the scenes in it and have it still make sense, and also include a storyline in Hawkins. That way it wouldn't have interrupted the flow as much.

Loofah B. Shampoo

I have a huuuuuuge problem with the kids having relationships. Like, that was my MAIN qualm. Making them kiss? Not needed. They're SO young.

• 8 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 1:59 AM, Loofah B. Shampoo said:

I have a huuuuuuge problem with the kids having relationships. Like, that was my MAIN qualm. Making them kiss? Not needed. They're SO young.

I was thinking about creating a thread related to this, in fact, because of having watched the Stranger Things Behind the Scenes interview series. How the school dance impromptu kiss scene became something they kept in the show, despite the actress not having given her consent, like AT ALL. And they laughed about it. Tbh, it put me off the show a bit, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to keep watching when Season 3 came out. It makes ya think about what child actors have to go through to portray characters going through some rough/traumatic/maybe even adult themes. 🤔

But I totally love the show, even when the story becomes a bit thin/weak in some places. It's still a good throwback to the coming-of-age times of the 80s. 

Archived