Article just published! "I have no sexual fantasies due to aphantasia."

songchick

I just had an article published on The Establishment!  I talk about how I have no sexual fantasies and how I experience aphantasia.  I mention AVEN in the article also, and that I am demisexual.  Please read!

https://theestablishment.co/i-have-no-sexual-fantasies-due-to-aphantasia/

Hey, I think I may have that too.  How do I find out more?

I've been waiting to read this, thanks for posting the link! I found your article very insightful since I'm basically the opposite.

It was also interesting to learn about your approach to writing, it's quite similar to mine. Imagination is certainly fed by observation.

@songchick your article is excellent, and I am so glad you mentioned how the Aphantasia ties in with our thoughts regarding sex and stuff. Like you I cannot visualise either past or future sexual experiences, and in addition I do not have an internal voice either. My mind thinks in concepts which in turn can invoke feelings, but in regards to attraction I pretty much need my wife to be present to be able to have thoughts that way. My wife is the only person that I have ever been attracted to, and I really do think that my Total Aphantasia is behind this. I needed to get to know my wife really well, more than two years, before I could build up the concepts that I need to be attracted to her. We have had some struggles but it is now almost 30 years since we met and I am still strongly attracted to her, and still her only

It would be great to see some scientific research into potential correlations between Aphantasia, lack os sexual fantasies, lack of attraction and so on. Some folk are chatting about these things here on Reddit

Hope this is helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Great article, you did a really good job! My inner eye is a blank screen as well, but I have always been able to have what for the lack of a better term I call auditory sexual fantasies, which are sort of as if an explicit erotic story was being read out loud, with added sound effects, in my head. Have you ever tried that?

• 3 weeks later...
Effectricis
On 2/7/2019 at 4:33 PM, alto said:

The podcast “how stuff works” had a really good two episodes on aphantasia. The first ep is titled “blindness of the mond’s eye.” I had never heard of it until that podcast and I realized I definitely have symptoms or partial aphantasia.

https://www.stufftoblowyourmind.com/podcasts/aphantasia-blindness-of-the-minds-eye.htm

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:33 PM, alto said:

@alto There are several links on this page that might help you find out more

• 1 month later...

Just returned back here to see comments on my article!  Thanks so much for your support and encouragement.  Means worlds.

Archived